Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

186,762 users have contributed to 42,477 threads and 255,922 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 13 new post(s) and 36 new user(s).

• Splitting VSL Libraries

Hi VSL Team,

I'm trying a new stategy with my VSL sample libraries and it seems to be working.  My hope is that this will help spread the load accross my two drives better than just installing each library on a different drive.  I'm posting this thread to make sure there isn't any unintended side effects I might be running up against and am not yet aware of.

I have two sample hard drives and both are eSATA-300 7200RPM 320GB formatted MAC OS X Extended (NOT Journaled).

Sample HD 1 has the following directories on it and in each of these folders are the odd numbered dat files:

25 AppassionataStrings

25 AppassionataViolins

26 AppassionataViolas

27 AppassionataCelli

28 AppassionataBasses

25 Appassionata-II_Strings

25 Appassionata-II_Violins

26 Appassionata-II_Violas

27 Appassionata-II_Cellos

28 Appassionata-II_Basses

53 SpecialBrass-Cornet

56 SpecialBrass-Altotrombone

59 SpecialBrass-Euphonium

63 SpecialBrass-Trumpets-a6

87 Elements

95 SpecialKeyboards-Cembalo

96 SpecialKeyboards-Harmonium

97 SpecialKeyboards-PreparedPiano

100 SpecialEdition

101 SpecialEditionPLUS

Sample HD 2 has the exact same directories on it except that Sample HD 2 contains the even numbered dat files.  Both hard drives and their directories are scanned with the Directory Manager.

Is this a problem, can I split my VSL libraries this way?  Both drives seem to be equally busy whether I'm playing one instrument or many more instruments simultaneously.  Also, I believe I am getting less sputtering and less core audio overloads, though I have no evidence of this as it may be just a feeling I'm getting that this seems to be working better.

Thanks, Brian [:)]