Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

186,755 users have contributed to 42,477 threads and 255,917 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 17 new post(s) and 36 new user(s).

• Cubase, Sibelius, Logic ... Which one?

H i Folks

Very new to all of this so here is a basic beginner question.

We would like to create some minus one (4) tracks for our flute band to perform to.  This  would involve using a piece of software to create the tracks.  I already own Sibelius 5 but find it of no use when wanting to include multiple live tracks i.e. a guitar and cello as 2 separate tracks performed by band friends along with the Sibelius strings etc.

So, what software do you recommend for a couple of Mac users.  We do not mind spending cash to get quality.

Many thanks

Paul

• I would recommend "Cubase" (because I use it for years now. But I think that "Logic" would do the job as fine as "Cubase". Best regards...

• Hi Paul, I would recommend to classify the mentioned programs in such especially for making scores and in such especially for recording.

Sibelius and Finale e.g. are score programs. I use Finale only for composing and making scores.

Logic and Cubase e.g. are audio sequenzers. A complete studio within a single software. I use Cubase for making the final tracks.

For your purpose you need a software like Logic oder Cubase. But if you are a beginner it could be good to look for a smaller version of Cubase like Cubase LE. It´s easier to learn, and you don´t need all functions of the big version.

Best, Rainer

• Hello
    I was told that it was possible to do VSL articulation changes within the score when you write score in Sibelius.

I have not find out literature about it yet ?

Does anybody has the link ?

Best

Cyril

MacBook Pro M3 MAX 128 GB 8TB - 2 x 48" - 1 x 27" screen --- Logic Pro --- Mir Pro 3D Dolby Atmos --- Most of the VI libs, a few Synch... libs --- Quite a few Kontakt libs --- CS80 fanatic --- Studio equipped in Dolby Atmos 7.1.2
  •  Hello Paul

I don't know Sibelius but I'm currently working with Finale. Both of these programs are - as mentioned above - mainly developed

to produce scores - and they do their job much more better than Cubase, Logic etc.

They usually trigger VSL sample articulations by assigning them to certain score symbols / accidentals. If there is a crescendo in the score you will get the crescendo - but perhaps it is not the right one.

Further: Scores are writen to read the notes in an easy way. This corresponds not always with the resulting playing style. So on the one hand you will have a good sounding peace of music but on the other hand a bad score result...

In short words: You will be much more flexible with a software such as Cubase, Sonar, Logic for the asked task. Concider that there is also an audio side: inserting effects, "elastic audio", routing singnals to busses, track-automation for effects, volume, etc. These are the works which Sequencer-Programs are made for - but you can't really use them for producing good scores. [:)]

All the best

Beat Kaufmann

- Tips & Tricks while using Samples of VSL.. see at: https://www.beat-kaufmann.com/vitutorials/ - Tutorial "Mixing an Orchestra": https://www.beat-kaufmann.com/mixing-an-orchestra/
  • [quote=Cyril]Hello

Sibelius 5 will play your articulations, provided that you have a suitable soundset. However, it still won't sound as good as when it's tweaked in Cubase.

DG

•  Hi Everyone

Many thanks for your responses.  This is all very useful stuff.  I think I realised that Sibelius was really DTP for music with a bit of a preview.

So, which is the better, Cubase or the Apple product (Logic I think).

Finally, if I have a score in Sibelius, can I get across to the Cubase and/or Logic easily?

Thanks so much for the time you have all given me so far.  I feel like I have a very steep learning curve ahead.

Paul

• Whether you use Cubase or Logic is a matter of personal taste. I wouldn't use Logic because it's not cross-platform any more, and doesn't have the features that I need.

DG

• last edited
    last edited

@dowrick said:

Hi Everyone

... Finally, if I have a score in Sibelius, can I get across to the Cubase and/or Logic easily?

Paul

Hello again

Export the score as a midi file and import it with Cubase or Logic or...

Best

Beat

- Tips & Tricks while using Samples of VSL.. see at: https://www.beat-kaufmann.com/vitutorials/ - Tutorial "Mixing an Orchestra": https://www.beat-kaufmann.com/mixing-an-orchestra/