Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

181,766 users have contributed to 42,181 threads and 254,575 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 1 new thread(s), 18 new post(s) and 53 new user(s).

  • About Finale Human Playback File for VI SE

    Does it work in Finale 2009?

    To me, the keyswitches in the HP preferences do not match VI SE strings preset settings. But even after correcting and realigning them, when HP encounters, to say, a "pizz" text expression, HP won't turn the VI matrix to the pizzicato patch (= keyswitch F#0).

    What's wrong, or what am I missing?

    Thank you,

    Roberto

    [*-)] 


  • last edited
    last edited

    @Another User said:

    But even after correcting and realigning them, when HP encounters, to say, a "pizz" text expression, HP won't turn the VI matrix to the pizzicato patch (= keyswitch F#0).

    What's wrong, or what am I missing?

    I suggest you try to use the HP prefs as they are, they should work (at least they do for me). I wonder about your "pizz" expression. Be sure to use the right one from the expression list (there are two). NOT the one for use with HP turned off. Or just create a new expression with the word "pizz." and use this one. (Do not specify any playback options for this expression, HP will react to the word "pizz." in the score and apply the correct keyswitch.)

    Hope this helps

    Albert 


  • No way, Albert.

    To me, the HP file does not work "as is", even after creating a "pizz." expression text from scratch (no playback options enabled): in Finale 2009, Vienna Ensemble keyswitches won't work, neither transposing the keyswitches from C0 to C1 and vice versa in the Vienna Instrument.

    Could it have to do with HP Filter set on "On SoftSynth/Default Ext. Playback"?

    Thank you anyway.

    [:(] 


  • last edited
    last edited

    @Coqui said:

    Could it have to do with HP Filter set on "On SoftSynth/Default Ext. Playback"?
     

    Yes! Sorry for misleading you here, I must have confused the different setups I've used during the last months.

    You're right, this setting was made for Finale 2007 and 2008. To get these HP prefs to work with Finale 2009 you have to change them to "(no filter)".

    It was actually very good that you discovered this so early. I was going to mail Andi at Vienna anyway about another detail in the Hp prefs. Now I can make him aware of this problem with Fin2009 as well.

    Thanks!

    Albert 


  • Albert,

    after a good half-an-hour of frustrating attempts, I was able to get the keyswitching by choosing "Any/Custom Text" from the the "Instrument" tab in HP Preferences, then typing the word "pizz." into the "For the text expression containing" box.

    It worked flawlessly.

    Now I must explain myself why.

    [8-|]

  • last edited
    last edited

    Now from this:

    I got this mp3

    The "trem" expression mark is dimmed because I set it to "hidden".

    Putting a graphic Note Expression tremolo mark (the two or three oblique lines on the stem) will result, instead, in a horrible Midi tremolo, not the VI sampled one.

    i.e. and unless countermanded, the keyswitch will not be activated by a Note Expression tremolo.

    Too bad.

    [^o)]


  • Coqui:
    This is strange. After adjusting the HP filter to "(no filter)" i had no trouble playing back my file and the correct keyswitches were triggered.

    It's very hard to tell what's your problem without looking at the file directly. Could you post it here?

    One thing that is very important for HP in Finale is that the instruments name are correct and displayed. If you have a violin stave you MUST write "violin" as a staff name for HP to recognize this one. This is done automatically when using the setup wizard in Finale but if you use the Default File (or the Vienna HP file) you will get no staff name at all and HP will not function properly.

    Albert

  • last edited
    last edited

    @Albert S said:

    One thing that is very important for HP in Finale is that the instruments name are correct and displayed. If you have a violin stave you MUST write "violin" as a staff name for HP to recognize this one. This is done automatically when using the setup wizard in Finale but if you use the Default File (or the Vienna HP file) you will get no staff name at all and HP will not function properly.
     

    Oops... I read through the whole HP manual but I must have missed the point... [A]

    Please wait, we are working on this right now.

    [8-|] 


  • You were right, Albert.

    I assigned the very same name to staff/instrument, and HP worked correctly.

    Thank you.