Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

188,327 users have contributed to 42,591 threads and 256,456 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 1 new thread(s), 17 new post(s) and 39 new user(s).

• HELP : Conflict between Vienna Ensemble 2, Kontakt2 standalone on a Motu PCI system

Hello

I am having a big problem :

I load K2 standalone, I load my default K2's setup no problem K2 is playing ok to out 25,26,27,28 of my Motu system (24i+2408mkII+1296+2408mk3)
    I load the VE 2, K2 wont play anymore to the Motu's output (it is playing ok on the building line output)

Offloading VE 2 this does not solve the problem

To have K2 been able to play again I have to restart my MACPRO 8 core 3 ghz 13GB

Thanks in advance for your help

Best

Cyril

•  Hi,

I have tried EXACTLY what you are doing, on a Mac Pro, with Kontakt 2, using MOTU 2408's. Similar problems.

My feeling is that Kontakt does not like to share a sound driver/device with other software. If have also experienced problems running Kontakt 2 (Standalone) alongside Steinbergs The Grand 2 standalone. 

Luckily, I had a spare 828, which I plugged in a ran Kontakt from. As it's a different device, Kontakt behaves normally.

As a workaround, once you have both VE and Kontakt up together, sharing the 424 system, if you just open and close Audio/MIDI setup in Kontakt, things seem to work. 

It's not VE's fault as far as I can tell.

B

• Hi I have no problem to share the same device between Logic and K2 ;)
    Looks like that VE is monopolizing the Motu.

And what is strange too is that even if you offload VE it does not give back the Motu to K2, I have to reboot !
    Looks it's a VSL problem !
    I Will post the question on the core audio developer list to find out who is culprit :)

Best

Cyril

• Hi Ben

Speaking to Paul at VSL, he told me he has been testing that on a G5 with 10.4 and he has no problem
    So it looks like it is either a 10.5 and/or a Macpro issue

Are you in the states ?

Best

Cyril

• last edited
    last edited
    Hi Ben
    I did more testing yesterday, the culprit is VSL Ensemble when you run it in standalone, no problem is VE is called via Logic

I have post a bug report and the answer of Paul from VSL is :

@Another User said:

Hello Cyril,

I have to admit, that although this sees to be a big issue for you, itยดs NOT on top of our priorities. We will look into it if we find the time.

Best regards,

Paul Steinbauer
    Vienna Symphonic Library

I hope it will not take too much time ๐Ÿ˜‰ VSL reputation is there ๐Ÿ˜‰

Best

Cyril

•  For my  money, I am sory to have to tell you, it's a Kontakt issue, at least in my experience. I have tested this on both G5's and MP machines. Kontakt is unhappy as a standalone running alongside Steinbergs The Grand 2 also running as standalone, sharing a 2408 driver. VE not involved here - I get crackling on The Grand 2, and/pr total silence from Kontakt 2. Depending on the weather.

VE, on the other hand, runs as a standalone alongside Cubase 4.1 on a MP sharing a 2408 driver wiothout issue, although, thanks to the fact that I run at 48k, Cubase's own little bug rears it's head as it launches into 44, sometimes disabling everything. But this is a known Cubase issue.

Obviously, what I am describing is not exactly the same as your system or setup. 

Ben

• Hi Ben
    if you get crackling that means that the audio interface is shared, you have problem of cpu power.

Since them I did more testing, VE K2 and Logic are OK if I load the VE thru Logic
    So it is only when I load VE in standalone that there are problems
    I have spoke to VSL programmer, he is going to have a look ;)
    Best

Cyril