Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,440 users have contributed to 42,227 threads and 254,796 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 4 new thread(s), 22 new post(s) and 51 new user(s).

• Dietz,

I forgot to say that I'm actually very excited to see what MIR is all about.

Judging from VSL's track record, it will be something special for sure.

My skepticism has to do with the fact that I was going through some old forum posts in here recently.

Here I noticed that the current thread about MIR is pretty much the same as some of the MIR-threads in 2007, 2006, ..., 2003 [:)]

But I can certainly understand the wait for processing power, and will be happy to see MIR in the shops soon.

We live in exciting times!

Best regards,

Henrik

• last edited
    last edited

@Dietz said:

Nonetheless we had to find a new way to overcome the still existing hurdles of processing power, after all those years. Personally, I think it was worth waiting, though: What you will see appearing on the market soon is more or less MIR Vers. 3, offering full resolution without the need of offline rendering.
    Are you talking of GPU-computing or something like that? It seems that it's offering loads of performance for those kind of things (convolution).

•  No, they said they found some _other_ way of overcoming CPU limitations.

They discussed the GPU option in the early days of MIR development, but decided it would be best not to be tied down to any specific hardware (and avoiding the need to rewrite MIR's code numerous times).

• last edited
    last edited

@Another User said:

They discussed the GPU option in the early days of MIR development, but decided it would be best not to be tied down to any specific hardware (and avoiding the need to rewrite MIR's code numerous times).

... although we are _still_ discussing this option for the future. Things changed a lot in this regard during the last one or two years. There seems to be some kind of standardisation going on, as far as the use of GPU for non-graphical, "external" tasks is concerned. This means that the tie software / hardware wouldn't be _that_ rigid any more.

/Dietz - Vienna Symphonic Library
  • From the VSL site, on NAMM 2009: "Some surprises may be revealed on January 15, 2009! Don’t miss our new presentations!" *giddy*

•  Yay! 

• Looks like it won't be out in time for Santa to pick up on his travels [:(]

• PaulP Paul moved this topic from Orchestration & Composition on