Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,488 users have contributed to 42,233 threads and 254,815 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 6 new thread(s), 19 new post(s) and 49 new user(s).

• Not so very happy about VE3

I´ve been a happy customer of VSL since the very beginning, buying almost everything you guys ever published.
    That´s why I am very dissapointed with the recent VE3 software.

First, there´s false information about the license procedure on multiple computers (see my different post).

Second, the VE3 manual, that stops explaining the handling of VE3 in Logic midway, leaving it up to you to figure it out - which I did by pausing on screenshots of the demo video. Before that I fiddled around endlessly trying to automate a simple volume change within VE3.

All of this took hours.

Third, I find out that all instances of VE3 on all Macs vanish when I switch cues? I cannot believe this. Its the ONE reason I am interested in this software.

Ok, I,m glad I haven´t spent the few Euros on the VE3, but I´m sorry for my time. Back to using Logic on all Systems as VSL hosts.....

Jochen

• last edited
    last edited

@Another User said:

Second, the VE3 manual, that stops explaining the handling of VE3 in Logic midway, leaving it up to you to figure it out - which I did by pausing on screenshots of the demo video. Before that I fiddled around endlessly trying to automate a simple volume change within VE3.
    At least it uses Logic. I think that there should really be a video demo of all supported formats, because Logic looks very different to some other sequencers.

[quote=Josch]Third, I find out that all instances of VE3 on all Macs vanish when I switch cues? I cannot believe this. Its the ONE reason I am interested in this software.

This is quite normal for plugins. VSL is working on a solution, but it would be the same situation if you were using another plugin such as Kontakt. I think that DP has solved this, but your problem exists in all other sequencers, AFAIK.

DG

• last edited
    last edited

@Josch said:

Third, I find out that all instances of VE3 on all Macs vanish when I switch cues? ...... Jochen

This is quite normal for plugins.

But here´s the point: Why do I use so many computers for vsl?

First: In my work I have to switch between cues a lot. I cannot wait 5 minutes for every song change, so much coffee is unhealthy.

Second: I need more VI´s than a single Mac can handle.

In this regard VE3 is much worse than every other plug in. Kontakt programs stay open on my slave macs when I switch songs. 

Question:  Why does VE3 offload of all its content? 

Not doing it, and the ability to reconnect to a configured VE3 would make my day. My setup would be much simpler (only one mixer, much less hardware).

All the best,

Jochen

BTW: I´ve lost the connection to  the second Mac at least 5 times today during testing......

• last edited
    last edited

@Josch said:

In this regard VE3 is much worse than every other plug in. Kontakt programs stay open on my slave macs when I switch songs. 

Not doing it, and the ability to reconnect to a configured VE3 would make my day. My setup would be much simpler (only one mixer, much less hardware).

All the best,

Jochen

Sorry, there is a misunderstanding here. Kontakt on your slaves are standalones, not plugins to your DAW. If you use Kontakt as a plugin on your DAW, you will see exactly the same thing happen when you switch cues.

I have a workaround to avoid all this loading (and for me it is around 15 minutes), but so far nobody seems to have tested it with OSX.

DG

• Hello Jochen,

sorry to see you confused. Hope these answers help: 

A Demo License gives you 1 license for 30 starts, so that you can check your system on various computers (you can easily move the key). So you can use it on as many computers as you like, but only for 30 starts, and only on 1 computer at a time. 

We are doing our best with our manuals. What are the 5 sentences you are missing in the VE3 manual?

As DG pointed out, we are already working on a solution to keep the Vienna Ensembles 3 loaded when switching between projects. It´s just not as simple as it seems. Meanwhile, you can use Vienna Ensemble 2 the same way you are using Kontakt!

Thanks in advance for your input!

Best, 

Paul 

Paul Kopf Product Manager VSL
  • last edited
    last edited

Hi Paul,

thank you for your answer.

@Another User said:

We are doing our best with our manuals. What are the 5 sentences you are missing in the VE3 manual?

Let me describe my experience with VE3:

Did all the things in the manual, up to the point  where it says what the + and - buttons on the mixer channel are for: Adding AUX channels, but they dont do that, - why? - unless you *make* them stereo first. Well, its stated in the manual: "Additional stereochannels can be created...." Ok, make me feel stupid, but wait.  I dont have signal in those channels. Why? You first have to insert the VE3 plug in into each and every one of them....

Before i figured that out, I went and tried various methods to automate individual VE3´s channel volumes and auxes. Checking the manual, checking this forum.  All completely unnecessary because - as I find out later - its of course much better to automate the Logic Auxes...

I think this could be compressed down to 4 sentences in the manual?

Anyway, as soon as the VE3 stays open unchanged during song changes I´ll buy it.

All the best,

Jochen

• last edited
    last edited

@Josch said:

All the best,

Jochen

Sorry, there is a misunderstanding here. Kontakt on your slaves are standalones, not plugins to your DAW. If you use Kontakt as a plugin on your DAW, you will see exactly the same thing happen when you switch cues.

I have a workaround to avoid all this loading (and for me it is around 15 minutes), but so far nobody seems to have tested it with OSX.

DG

I have .. I am using RAX and followed your advice to load up two or three instances to the gills with all the programs/sample data I need for my actual template. Works perfectly! Cheers Paul

• >>As DG pointed out, we are already working on a solution to keep the Vienna Ensembles 3 loaded when switching between projects. It´s just not as simple as it seems. Meanwhile, you can use Vienna Ensemble 2 the same way you are using Kontakt!<<

Is there a chance, that this feature will also be added in the Vienna Ensemble 2 ?

It would really drastically speed up the workflow with the Vienna-Instruments, if you could just left your template loaded and switch between different projects without timeloss.

That would really just be great.

LP