Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,374 users have contributed to 42,222 threads and 254,772 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 4 new thread(s), 18 new post(s) and 61 new user(s).

• Thanks Synthetic.

I've read that v.1.4 has some new algorithm to help with stage positioning so that's a plus. 1.4 is also VST3 compatible so it can do surround. I don't need this but i thought I'd mention it.

But what bugs me about this reverb is that it comes with a dongle and you need to pay a second time(20% off) if you want to install it on a second computer. It's not gonna prevent me from buying it but i don't like it.

Anyone else did the a/b comparison with Briscati? 

• last edited
    last edited

Looks like somebody already made IRs of the Bricast. And it sounds pretty good to me.

edited: I've deleted the link i posted before. I'm not sure about this product at al after all.

• I'm not too impressed by these IRs made by "Studiodevices."  They really don't compare to the real Bricasti, which sounds incredible.  Furthermore, it's a little sketchy and in very poor taste to copy the real Bricasti so unabashedly.  Not only do they completely rip off the case design, but they also call it "Bree Casedy?"...come on.  

• I'm not going to argue about the ethics aspect of it that's for sure. And i don't completely feel comfortable with it either. But i cant afford big hardware reverb like that but mostly, i want something good ''in the box'' as they say. Why cant they(and the Lexicon guys etc..) develop good algo reverb plugins? It seems they completely forgot about us, so why should i care about them?

BTW, you're probably one of those who uses Altiverb right? They sampled a whole Lexicon unit so how is that different?

I don't know about the bricasti but I've demoed Reflections LE and these impulses are far superior than any  algo reverb plugins  I've tried. In fact they sound like crap compare to it and they do fell like big expensive units so I'm very happy i found those.  I though the Bree Casedi mp3 sounded pretty. Specially the saxophone, the synth and the guitar.

• last edited
    last edited

@Another User said:

BTW, you're probably one of those who uses Altiverb right? They sampled a whole Lexicon unit so how is that different?

Yes, Altiverb is one of the options I turn to for reverb.  I don't have a problem with the sampling of Lexicon or other hardware units (Bricasti included) as long as it's legal.  I honestly don't know whether it is or isn't legal, but I assume that a company as reputable as Audioease would have explored this and found it to be legal to make the IRs they have included.  My problem with "Bree Casedy" is not necessarily that they've sampled the unit (again, as long as it's legal).  My problem is that that they're advertising and pushing their product by relying on brand confusion and I find that to be in poor taste.  The picture they have on their site is a clear rip-off of the face design of the Bricasti and their name "Bree Casedy" is a clear rip-off as well.  I happen to know that the developers of the Bricasti were not aware of "Bree Casedy" until after its release when someone brought it to their attention on another forum.

• Just to clarify, taking an IR of a unit only reflects a small part of what that unit can do, 20-50% IMO. It's a marketing strategy more than anything else. I've taken the liberty to copy a post by the Bricasti Guru, appeared in Gerarsluts forum on this vary subject. - - "Make them free! Just got back from a few days off. So I'm seeing this for the first time, and yes this all is a bit OTT, but hey, I'm not sure lawsuits are in order. Unless we are talking about a defamation of character suit, but I'm not sure that would apply. The Bricasti reverb is far too complex to reproduce in a simple convolution mechanism. If these IRs are copied from a Bricasti, then they more than adequately reflect that reality. I have no way of knowing where these IRs originated, but if they are a simple copy of my work, then shouldn't I be the one that determines what the wav files should sell for? In this case, I would say they should be free, and in the public domain. -Casey" --

• last edited
    last edited

@jammusique_7634 said:

[...] taking an IR of a unit only reflects a small part of what that unit can do, 20-50% IMO. [...]
    Just to avoid confusion, one should add that an IR is (ideally) 100% true to its origin in a LINEAR SYSTEM (like a real room without any air turbulances, moving doors etc.). Any NON-LINEAR-SYSTEM like most if not all algorithmic reverb engines, OTOH, can't be captured by an IR at all, by definition. So the figure of "20-50%" is maybe a good estimation. 😊

That said, I ask all forum-members to be _very_ careful when it comes to the propagation of download-links to (possibly) copyrighted data. Quite understandably we can't and won't tolerate it.

Kind regards,

/Dietz - Vienna Symphonic Library
  • I've deleted the link because frankly I'm not sure about thsi pruduct anymore. I think it might be a complet fraud. I'm not goig to explain why but i just don't want to be responsible for advertising this product. I'll come bach if i find more info but for now i think people should be careful. 

• last edited
    last edited

@Anonymous Joe said:

I've deleted the link because frankly I'm not sure about thsi pruduct anymore. I think it might be a complet fraud. I'm not goig to explain why but i just don't want to be responsible for advertising this product. I'll come bach if i find more info but for now i think people should be careful. 

This is not what was trying to imply, but thank for your precautions, anyway.

Best,

/Dietz - Vienna Symphonic Library
  • Hi Dietz,[:)]

Actually i read your post and made note of it but that's not why i deleted it. The thing is i have good reasons to believe these impulses may not come from big expensive reverb as advertised.  Just before i ordered, i loaded a free donation ware just to make sure... And i came way too close to the sound of that plugin and I'm not even good at this. The tail sounded identical at times. Now as i said, I'm really not an engineer so i will not go further just to make sure i don't offend anyone but if i had to chose I'd say these impulses comes from that donation ware.  A good donation ware that i like BTW. [;)]

They got me fooled there for a while! [:D]

• Well I always wondered about that myself. I'm not sure what you were comparing the Bree-Casedy to, but it never sounded anything like our M7. The only similarity was the basic envelope of decay, (close). I did contact them and they seemed very nice, I did not challenge them, but personally, I suspected that they were not derived from the M7.

It is typical though of plugin convolution reverbs to capture just the decay envelope and little of the character of the reverb. This is because they must take dramatic short cuts to get them to run on an Intel platform. If you have ever heard the Sony 777 which performs convolution without the short cuts, you will know what I mean. So it is hard to be definitive.

Your discovery is very interesting to me however, I will try to duplicate it myself. I would love to put a good set of M7 IRs in the public domain, because I do think that they can be useful, and we must always be mindful that todays user looking for inexpensive reverb solutions may someday decide that they would like a more expensive solution if by good fortune they are successful in their craft.

-Casey 

• In case it's of interest, I was talking to an Abbey Road engineer yesterday and they have ordered 3 Bricasti's Regards Dave Hage

• I have one M7 that I mostly use when I'm recording live piano. As soon as I've got anything worth listening to using VSL (although I only have VSL SE) then I'll post it. With only one unit, I won't be able to do too much, but it should give you an idea. I think it's amazing and is very good at connecting sounds, more so IMHO than Altiverb and other plugins that I've used. I believe Alan Meyerson http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0583657/ now owns 12... Obviously it entirely depends on what you like to hear...

• Hi Joe, I apologize, but this is complete nonsense. I myself own a M7 and also came across those impulses. In fact I wondered about them and listend to the demo, that sounded incredible in comparison with other impulses I tried. I must admit that I bought them, just to have a second M7 for some other rooms that I can use in the mix at the same time and it sounds really good. Of course, there are no modulations in the impulses but they do sound quite similar in the mix! To be honest, I do not see any confusion about these impulses. How many impulses of hardware are sold together with other plug-ins? How many times a Minimoog has been sampled or virtualized in plug-ins? And take a look at all of these other emulations of synthesizers, dynamics and equalizers, they never met the source but they are well asked. Regards, Markus

• I've just bought an M7, and had both this unit and a Lexicon PCM96 side by side for comparison. The Bricasti was much better for about 95% of what I do, but the Lex really sounded great on drums.

My template will now use both Altiverb and the Bricasti.

DG

•  Hi Marcus,

I'm still very much interested in their product so that's great to hear. I was a little worried about this unknow compagny back then so i decided to edit my post just to be sure. But i don't think that makes much sense now.

About modulation, you can modulate these impulses if you use their plugin Reflexions LE. I didn't really try thoug. 

I always tough the mp3 example on their website sounded VERY good. and they have  2 new reverb pack now so thats interesting.

I'm going to buy some of these impulses eventually, it's just that I'm broke now...