Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,579 users have contributed to 42,241 threads and 254,852 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 4 new thread(s), 15 new post(s) and 45 new user(s).

• last edited
    last edited

@composer22 said:

I would HATE to touch a windoze product again...yukki

Or an English staying; Cut off your nose to spite your face. [:P]

Anyway. Your choice in the end. Meanwhile I'm quite happy loading my 7.5GB template on one computer using plugin instances, and not having to worry about virtual MIDI cables, Soundflower Jack Sh*t. [:)]

DG

• last edited
    last edited

@Another User said:

2. Regardless of the number of instances, the 32bit version of the VE3 standalone is limited to ~3.2G

that's correct - as any other 32bit program the addressable memory space per process is 4 GB, in fact less ...

let me double check if seperate processes open when i'm in the office tomorrow - i don't have a mac with large memory here

christian

and remember: only a CRAY can run an endless loop in just three seconds.
  • Yes, the big question is: do several instances of VE3 standalone access 3.2 GB *each* or do they share the same 3.2 GB of memory? If the former is true, I'll hurry off buying a Mac Pro with 16 GB of RAM...

• i think a picture says more than 100 words ... however as mentioned: i can't fill both instances with 3.2 GB on this machine here because of too little memory

2 instances of VE3

• "An Austrian proverb: "Vor der vollen Schuessel verhungern." (... starving in front of the food-filled pot). 8-)"

an old German saying...

"Better to starve a slow death than to eat from a pot of Austrian poisoned bait..."

• last edited
    last edited

@DG said:

Or an English staying; Cut off your nose to spite your face.

Anyway. Your choice in the end. Meanwhile I'm quite happy loading my 7.5GB template on one computer using plugin instances, and not having to worry about virtual MIDI cables, Soundflower Jack Sh*t.

DG

Unless that nose is attached to an English Limey...

Yesterday, I loaded up 4 VE instances - around 5 GIG outside of Sibelius. MIDI routing was not all that difficult. JackOSX is up and running but needs extensive testing. Wasn't all that difficult to configure, but since it is a daemon acting as a bottleneck, and utilizing central processors I am suspicious about the number of channels you can maintain with it in real time. It may be an acceptable short term solution until a 64bit version comes out (if it does), or getting a idealistic soundcard that I need.

My past experience with tuning up XP for Audio and BSOD's lead me away from MS and convincingly into unix. Make a clean break with your bad relationships and don't look back.

I may reconsider at some point, but for now this is what I have been given to work with. I still think a VM Ware solution might work here

• last edited
    last edited

@cm said:

i think a picture says more than 100 words ... however as mentioned: i can't fill both instances with 3.2 GB on this machine here because of too little memory

Did you manage to test it on a machine with more than 4 GB?

As I said earlier, I am considering buying a Mac Pro with lots of RAM. My question: Will it be possible to run several instances of VE3 connected to the sequencer (DP in my case) on the same machine, so that every instance of VE3 can use its own 3.2 GB of memory?

Cheers

Pitt 

• Pierre - see my other thread on VMWare. I maanged to create a Virtual Machine running XP64 in about 8 gig of space to act as a server within my MPRO 8 with 16 gig of RAM. I run VE3 there in the VM talking with Sibelius on the OSX side. No JackOSX for audio routing. No IAC for MIDI. Load a sibelius score and it preloads all the project templates and instances in XP64. Seems to work just fine. VM has direct path to processor as intels are enabled for this. No audio needed in the VM. Another option for you if you are OSX.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I keep my apple OSX drives formatted. NO DOS or NTFS needed.

• pitt, i did a quick test with 2 instances and went up to 4,6 GB for both (so clearly beyond the 32bit barrier), but the current system is ... hmmm, say strange ... and i didn't find the time to search for or setup a new one.

composer22, are you saying you could read the sample data which was stored on an HFS+ formatted drive from XP64 without further configuration?

christian

• last edited
    last edited

@cm said:

composer22, are you saying you could read the sample data which was stored on an HFS+ formatted drive from XP64 without further configuration?

christian

Yes...

My first test of VE3 was with a partitioned DOS drive

Then, out of curiosity, I pointed VE3 using Directory Manager to my Apple HFS+ RAID Drive and repartitioned and erased the old DOS drive back to HFS+ just to be sure.

It works...

VMWare has a shared folder feature for sharing HFS+ folders in OSX with VMWare side. So, all you do is mount a shared folder that points to your HFS+ drive that holds your samples. VE3 / Directory manager under VMWare points to Vienna using this mount.