Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

186,776 users have contributed to 42,478 threads and 255,926 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 11 new post(s) and 36 new user(s).

• Logic 8 and standalone instances of VI and/or VE

I am having trouble setting up standalone instances of VI and VE in Logic 8.  I realize that this topic has been discussed at great length in other threads, and I have tried to implement those solutions, but without success.  So I was hoping that someone would kindly revisit this topic and provide a detailed description of what needs to be done.

I am using Mac OSX Leopard, VI, VE2, Logic 8, and RME Fireface 800.

Thanks,

Mark

• Mark

Probably not what you want to hear, but if you're wanting to use multiple instances of VI and VE to get around the RAM limits under OSX 32bit then I'd really recommend purchasing VE3 - even if you just use it on your local host. Using VE2 otherwise is hideously tricky

You need to use something like the IAC for MIDI and then route the audio from the standalone VI/VE to one of the RME outputs. The same RME output can be routed using the Fireface control panel back to a Fireface Input which can then feed an audio channel input in Logic.

Alternatively you could investigate using something like soundflower to route the audio.

Personally I'd shell out €95 on VE3 much easier, although it's a cop out to your original question

Best

Tim

• Tim,

Thank you for your reply.  I was under the impression (I guess wrongly so) that I would face the same setup issues using VE3 in Logic as VE2.  I had planned to purchase a second computer and VE3 in a month or so, but in the meantime I wanted to flesh out the standalone installation of VE2 in Logic.

But, just to confirm, setting up and using VE3 in Logic, even if I don't yet have a second computer, is much easier than using VE2?

Thanks,

Mark

• last edited
    last edited

Hi Mark,

VE 2 and VE 3 are identical, apart from the networking feature. It is "easier" (2 mouseclicks less) to instantiate VE2.

Please take a look at the "Vienna Ensemble Routing" part of the VE 2 manual (page 12), that will help!

Best,

Paul

Paul Kopf Product Manager VSL
  • Paul,

Thank you for your reply.  However, page 12 of the VE2 manual deals with instantiating VE2 as a plugin rather than accessing it as a standalone application in Logic.  That is the subject of my request for help.

Can anyone please provide some detailed guidance?

Many thanks in advance,

Mark

• Hi Mark,

First you have to set up 1 or 2 IAC busses in the "Audio-Midi Setup" from the Utilities.

This 2 IAC busses now appear as midi Ins/Outs in Logic. Now go to the Environment Page "Clicks and Ports" in Logic and be sure to connect the IAC bus 1 and bus 2 IN´s (from the Physical IN module) to an e.g. Midi Monitor. Otherwise you will get a midi Loop.

Now you can make a copy of "Vienna Ensemble" to e.g. the Desktop and rename it to e.g. "VE 2". Put it back to the VE folder.

Next you can open VE or/and VE 2 and select the IAC  bus 1 as a midi Input on  VE and IAC bus 2 for VE 2.

Thats it.

In Logic you now create an "External Midi Instrument" and assigne the out port to one of the IAC busses. You can use all 16 tracks from one IAC bus routed to 16 Instances of VI´s in one VE.

All outs from your Audiohardware (Fireface 800) will be seen by the 2 Standalone VE´s.

Now you can pysically loop back a many outs from the FF outs to the FF ins as you want. If not used for something different I suggest using the ADAT out and just looping is back to the ADAT in of the FF.

Now you can create Inputs or Aux objects in Logic where the Input is assigned to the respective out from the VE´s. (e.g. VE -> FF out 9-10 goes to Logic Input 9-10 ect.)

Best

christian

• Christian -

Thanks for posting the detail, hope Mark understands it.  One other alternative to physically looping the audio in's and out's is that the Fireface let's you do this internally via the software control panel so no need for physical cables.

Regards

Tim

PS.  Still think VE3 is an awful lot easier....

• Christian, Tim, and Paul,

Many thanks for your help.  I will try this later today, hopefully, but one problem I was clearly having is that I was getting a midi loop.  I am afraid I am new to working in Logic's environment area - it was driving me nuts.

Tim - may I ask why you think VE3 is so much easier?  I think I will probably purchase it sometime this week....

Thank you again,

Mark

• Mark

Personally I find it easier as all the plumbing is done within the one product set. With all the other methods and I've tried many (do a search on some of my rants around solutions for midi and audio over LAN on this forum). Anyway all the other methods require a lot of fiddling about with multiple products from multiple sources. Using VE3 isn't exactly straight forward, the creation of multi-instruments, setting up multiple AUX channels in Logic for the audio to feed back into etc etc, but it's probably as easy as you're going to get with what amounts to a fairly complex piece of technology.

Why not try VE3 demo first and see, that way you've nothing to lose...

Cheers

Tim

• last edited
    last edited
    Hi, I'm all good until this bit:

@chriskard said:

Now you can physically loop back a many outs from the FF outs to the FF ins as you want. If not used for something different I suggest using the ADAT out and just looping it back to the ADAT in of the FF.

Now you can create Inputs or Aux objects in Logic where the Input is assigned to the respective out from the VE´s. (e.g. VE -> FF out 9-10 goes to Logic Input 9-10 ect.)

I've tried tinkering with the FF800 matrix to get the audio to play within Logic, with no luck...

Can you please be a bit more specific? Would you mind uploading a few screenshots of your setup somewhere?

Thanks in advance!

• Dear 9u10m:

Did You figure out how to do the routing in the Fireface 800 matrix in order to hear everything in Logic? I have the same problem - the manual says it easy... damn ;.)

Dear Tim:

I got the VE3 - as You suggested, but I'm having a hard time following what You explain here:

You need to use something like the IAC for MIDI and then route the audio from the standalone VI/VE to one of the RME outputs. The same RME output can be routed using the Fireface control panel back to a Fireface Input which can then feed an audio channel input in Logic. 

Thanks everyone in advance!

Sten