Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,389 users have contributed to 42,223 threads and 254,774 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 3 new thread(s), 15 new post(s) and 44 new user(s).

• last edited
    last edited

@PolarBear said:

If you actually really consider this idea I'd make my userbase a lot if not indefinitely larger by providing SSD benefits for all possible applications - you'd need to buffer/copy the first portion of every file to SSD to overcome HDD seektime and have a little RAID-like controller manage your files and managing read and write operations, e.g. in an encapsulated external bay.

Actually the drawback here is, that it wouldn't really work with monolithic files 😉

This is a nice idea, but hard to implement on device level. Normally the device doesn't know anything about files, it only knows about sectors. Of course you can teach your device how FAT32, NTFS, UFS, ZFS, but you can imagine how error prone that is. Also, if the user builds a RAID with these device, each device only sees partial filesystems.

A different approach would be to add a 'learn' button. As long as this button is held down, every read access is mirrored to flash. Otherwise the content is untouched.

This would lead to the following usage szenario: the user installs his libs to our drive. Then he starts his VST host and loads one instrument after the other, always pressing the button while the application reads the sample headers. This will give the drive exactly the information it needs, regardless if the data is organized in single or monolithic files.

Cheers,

Arne

• last edited
    last edited

@cm said:

now lately i've read a report about an extensive test how much such hybrid-disks in fact do speed up system boot / application start / loading data ...

guess what the result has been ... a shattering one .. no or almost no effect ...

I could only guess, but so far the SSD managment is purely done by Vista and not implemented at hardware level. Cache sizes usually are 256MB which is really small for OS plus apps. And then again - Vista would have to know which files should be loaded to manage to get them to the SSD portion before it really requests them. It would also have to know which application you were to launch next or which application data to precache when booted. So I don't think it's a problem that SSD is involve, but morea structural one, that it's not supported or used to maximum (or in that case: any noticeable) effect.

PolarBear 

• Arne, that "learn on startup" idea is nice, but that would only work for monolithic sample files where we know we will have 100% of all possible read accesses done in the loading phase... anyway... this thing is a task of its own and I seriously doubt I'm gonna go and do it.

PolarBear 

• So how are those flash disks ging on with VSL on the 2009 ?

can't find modern posts about it ?

will the vsl instrument be able to playback sounds on these disks without loading the all sample in ram ?

• Excuse me if I miss the obvious - but what do you mean when you write "loading all sample in RAM"?

/Dietz - Vienna Symphonic Library
  • mmm maybe i'm wrong but ... when you load an instrument all the sounds are going in the ram right ?

that's why you need huge amout of ram.

with flash disks maybe it would be possible to imagine that the sounds stays and the drive until you play it. Then loaded very fast to ram or direct to sound card (or not i dunno i'm not engeenier).

anyway i can't find recent posts about flash disks and vsl ... i imagine you can load sounds very fast from those drives but about the sreaming, what does it bring.

i'm about to buy a new computer for my samples. about 10Go of ram. or maybe there's something new coming with the flash disks..

• Oh, you got this wrong, obviously.

Vienna Instruments stream their samples directly from disk, only the first few KB of data is loaded to RAM. It just the fact that there are so many samples within one instrument which gives you the impression that _everything_ gets loaded into RAM. :-)

Kind regards,

/Dietz - Vienna Symphonic Library
  • hell i understand :P thx for info.

ok so flashdisk is a good option then in addition to good ram...(?)

i only have the strings 1&2 full but i plan to buy woodwinds 1 full. And of course i have other librarys (tonehammer, synthogy pianos, superior drums etc...)
    i plan to buy a :

1st solution (low budget)
    ASUS P5QL Pro
    INTEL Core2 Duo E8400 (3.0 DualCore LGA775)
    Nvidia 7200 GS 256 Mo Fanless
    DDR2 4x4Go
    Vertex SSD SATA (flashdrive)

2nd solution high price (for me of course)
    ASUS P6T (Corei7 + DDR3 + PCIE)
    INTEL Core2 Duo E8400 (3.0 DualCore LGA775)
    Nvidia 7200 GS 256 Mo Fanless (PCI-E)
    DDR3 SDRAM 3x4Go PC10600
    Vertex SSD SATA (flashdrive)

any advice ?

•  it would be nice to have sample data streamed *directly* from a flash disk but the *chain of buffers and latencies* does not allow that. actually reducing the preload buffer for Vienna Instruments from 64 to 8 KB per sample does not work successfully with current flash disks, because strange latency spikes (with the disk) occurre ...

christian

and remember: only a CRAY can run an endless loop in just three seconds.
  • sry i'm no english and not sur to understand 100%

i understood your last post was considering a "directl streaming" from flash drive that lead to strange problems. But does it mean that using flash drives for vsl doesn't bring much more than classical fast drives ?

when you hear little drops in sounds when lots of instrument. Does it come from slow disk or slow cpu ?

•  what i'm saying is that also with flash disks it would not be possible to stream everything directly even from a flash drive (RAM needs to be involved anyway)

currently i can't find any benefit streaming sample data from a flash drive justifying the price difference to *normal* drives ... what makes flash drives so tempting is the incredibly low seek time, data throughput is not so much more (especially with the MLC type)

also a german computer magazine ran some real-world tests with operating system on flash drives (XP, VISTA, OS X) vs. normal sATA drives and the difference for startup time and launching applications was not measurable or a few %

i think getting 4 1TB sATA drives for the price of 1 64GB SSD makes any decision easy ...

christian

and remember: only a CRAY can run an endless loop in just three seconds.
  • last edited
    last edited

@cm said:

i think getting 4 1TB sATA drives for the price of 1 64GB SSD makes any decision easy ...

i see 😊 thx for info