Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,891 users have contributed to 42,261 threads and 254,944 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 0 new thread(s), 10 new post(s) and 44 new user(s).

• Celesta Loops?

Hi Guys,

Strange (but wonderful) goings-on with the Celesta (both soft and regular), as per my Special Edition Extended...

The "strange" part: if I hold down the sustain pedal for a long time, or simply hold notes down (no sus pedal) for a long time, the notes will re-attack from the beginning of the samples. And not every note exhibits this behavior. And the behavior isn't consistent. So, either hold notes for a long time, or, use sustain pedal to hold them and you will see that:

C2 (oct below middle C) actually re-attacks twice. The first one is very soft, the second a complete looping of the sample from the beginning

F#2 through D3 do not loop/re-attack

D#3 upwards will re-attack

The above is not an exhaustive list, but those are some examples anyway...

The "wonderful" part: because of this (feature?) I've been able to create some really lovely random windchime-like parts by simply holding down the sustain pedal and playing various notes, then waiting as they they re-attack seemingly at random. It's a really great effect.

But it's not so great for the orchestration I'm doing, where I'm holding down the sustain pedal down on a celesta part.

Can anyone confirm this behavior?

• confirmed!

i get the looping as well. 

i'm on a macbook pro, m-audio firewire410. however - i guess that doesn't matter in this particular case.

• Confirmed. Thanks for posting.

We are working on an update.

best

Herb

• Herb,

You're welcome!

While you're updating, may I suggest creating a "special" patch -- Celeste (looped) -- where the notes are actually looped in similar fashion to how they are now (though perhaps not having to wait as long for notes to re-attack). I'm requesting this because the windchimes effect I described is absolutely lovely (perhaps you've tried this yourself?). And if you play/hold chromatic notes the looping will generate an eerie, atonal sound.

Best,

Peter

• Agreed! People would pay good money for that effect. :) - Kerry

• @herb said:

Confirmed. Thanks for posting.

We are working on an update.

best

Herb

Hi Herb,

The topic is quite old but i bought (15 years after) SYNCHRON-ized percussion and the problrem is still there. What about the update you was talking about 15 years before ?

Best

Pat