Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,494 users have contributed to 42,233 threads and 254,820 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 6 new thread(s), 22 new post(s) and 46 new user(s).

• last edited
    last edited

@DG said:

Paul, I don't really see how using a plugin within Logic can be too taxing, but then again I've never tried it. It is all so easy in Cubase and Nuendo, so maybe I've been spoilt by this.

DG

The thing is though Daryl - hate to admit it but - a lot of people like me just don't have the bandwidth to work these things out and even with kind people like yourself and Nick explaining in writing just ain't enough. Tech-no twits like me need pictures and Janet & John styled dialogue - otherwise I wind up having to get someone in to explain and set it all up (which costs) - which always happens actually.

I just don't have the time or patience to understand all this stuff. I like using it all eventually -but can't work it out for myself, or at least can't be bothered if it looks too convoluted in print. A 6 year old child could do it.

But you can never find a 6 year old child when you need one.

• Paul, I'm afraid that youre mow just showing your advanced age, and unfortunately I seem to be there along with you. How do I know? well you used the phrase "Janet and John", and I understood what you meant. [:(]

DG

•  Who are Janet & John?

• last edited
    last edited

@Maya said:

Who are Janet & John?

Janet and John were featured in an old series of books for kids learning to read. It was all very innocent, where all families had a mother and father living with them, there was no such thing as child abuse, and gay still meant happy.

DG

• DG.....sorry i don"t spend my life on this community...i suppose being bitchy is your life...cheers

• last edited
    last edited

@icgant_7585 said:

DG.....sorry i don"t spend my life on this community...i suppose being bitchy is your life...cheers

Well that's telling me. I prefer to see myself as unselfish and not in the least self centred, which is why I like to teach and help people. Obviously we are not the same on that one.

Anyway, I'm not going to stoop to name calling so enjoy your life, such as it is.

DG

• PROBLEM SOLVED: Just so you know what the end result was for my situation: I phoned Ilio, the North American distributor for VI (and Stylus RMX etc...) - Aaron answered right away and quickly helped me make my setup work which is - a 16 track VE with all tracks returning through the master bus using my MOTU 828 MK2, a 16 channel software instrument running VE in Logic - so I have separate automation data per midi track and individual sends through the VE program page (not in Logic) This does work. Still, if it were possible it would be great to have access to the sends and VST plugins that I have in Logic on a per midi track basis. Sounds like non logic users have that anyway - perhaps VSL will make it happen for we Logic users. Otherwise, as all of you know, this is a library of wonderful sounds and very usable for my work, Many thanks for all the input from all of you - please understand that there was no offense intended or taken by me in these threads - it's great that we have this forum, All the best, Ed

• Ed, I'm glad to hear that it has been sorted out for you.

I still find it hard to believe that you can't have multiple outputs from a muliti-timbral plug in Logic. I know that all DAWs have limitations, but this seems rather strange. Maybe one of the resident Logic users will be able to help.

DG

• last edited
    last edited

@DG said:

...... One of the best reasons for you to use VE is that you can pan instruments properly; something which I'm told that Logic does quite badly, even with the Direction Mixer (?) plug.

DG

What's bad about Logic Panning ?

For me, the main reason I stopped, for the moment, to use VE is that I end up to deal with 3 levels of mixers in Logic ! The VE mixer, the MIDI multi-instrument mixer and finaly the virtual instrument mixer. This is not VE fault but because of the limitations of virtual instruments with multi-output  in Logic (aux are not midi capable).

And because automation is almost always important for me, I have to use the aux tracks for that. That means in the Arrange window, I have a MIDI track (midi multi-instrument) for the MIDI data and then also the corresponding aux track for automation and effects. And because of that, the workflow become really complicated when you have a lot of instruments because everything become duplicated !

I almost would have prefered to get a Vienna Instrument update that would make it finally remember its window position because that's really a big drag. But its seems it will never happens ;-(

Michel

• Well I've just tried to use the VE within Logic. And I gotta say that I still don't get it. SO I can open up an instance .. fill it full of stuff .. but so what .. how do I assign the instances to Logic tracks .. can't have all this midi on one track :P . The 16 outputs don't really do much for me as I suspected since I only have a Stereo output .. although it's very cool to have the option. VE is a real tease to me. I like it .. I want to use it .. but man it's a bloody mystery to know how to get it doing anything useful. . Not much point having an instance of VE on 25 tracks .. sort of defeats the purpose :P So just how does one get midi tracks channels .. or whatever one uses to talk to the stuff within the VE instance. It seems that the IAC stuff I set up doesn't work within Logic .. although that does make sense since it's not having to talk to anything outside of logic. . Grrr .. headache.

• last edited
    last edited

@DG said:

...... One of the best reasons for you to use VE is that you can pan instruments properly; something which I'm told that Logic does quite badly, even with the Direction Mixer (?) plug.

DG

What's bad about Logic Panning ?

I think Julian explained it a while back. Maybe a search will find the thread.

DG

• last edited
    last edited

@hetoreyn said:

Well I've just tried to use the VE within Logic. And I gotta say that I still don't get it. SO I can open up an instance .. fill it full of stuff .. but so what .. how do I assign the instances to Logic tracks .. can't have all this midi on one track 😛 . The 16 outputs don't really do much for me as I suspected since I only have a Stereo output .. although it's very cool to have the option. VE is a real tease to me. I like it .. I want to use it .. but man it's a bloody mystery to know how to get it doing anything useful. . Not much point having an instance of VE on 25 tracks .. sort of defeats the purpose 😛 So just how does one get midi tracks channels .. or whatever one uses to talk to the stuff within the VE instance. It seems that the IAC stuff I set up doesn't work within Logic .. although that does make sense since it's not having to talk to anything outside of logic. .

Grrr .. headache.

I really think that this is a Logic problem, so there is not much point in beating yourself up about it if none of the other Logic users are able to help. Maybe try the support forum for Logic.

DG

• Actually, I've just had a thought. Why aren't you assigning multiple aux tracks to your VE muli-timbral instrument in the mixer? From my admittedly limited knowledge of Logic, the first stereo output is the default, but you can create more for the rest of the outputs.

DG

• How the hell do you do that :D I'm lucky just to get any sound out of Logic at all. *Sigh* Well I think I'll give up on VE until there's a revelation to make it do something in Logic. After all, the VI's work fine enough and I'm fairly happy with my mix at present. Would prefer it if VE would do the work as is would be better, but it' just not on the cards. Cheers anyways.

• This might not be much help and I apologize about tha. I use Sonar 7. Everytime I initiate a plugin a window pops up and asks if I want to use all of VE's (or any VSTi's) outputs or just the stereo outs. Its a check box. If I select "All" then I get all the outputs which show-up in Sonar's mixer and can route individual VE channels/busses to them. There must be something similar in Logic to this. Well, for what its worth. DM

• THIS HOW YOU CREATE A MULTI-INSTRUMENT IN LOGIC 8 THAT THEN BECOMES YOUR VE WITH AUX CHANNELS THAT CAN BE PROCESSED WITH LOGIC PLUGINS......STEVESONG showed me how to do it.......THE FOLLOWING ADDRESS WILL TAKE YOU THERE...............................http://community.vsl.co.at/forums/p/17411/124464.aspx#124464................................................................................... "In Logic's environment, create a new multi-instrument - - this will have 16 channels. Wire the multi-instrument to Instrument 1 on the MIxer page of the Environment. (To move an object from one layer of the Environment to another, select the object, hold down the option key while selecting the layer of the Environment to which you wish to move the object.) Name the Multi-Instrument something like VE 1. After you have done this, load a multi-channel instance of VE into Instrument 1. Go to the arrange page. You will find that, when you right-click or contol-click a track, you can reassign it to VE 1, channels 1 - 16). Load the instruments into VE as you desire. IMPORTANT NOTE: If you are using what is, at present, the most current OSX version of VE - - dated 2007-11-08 - - DO NOT ATTEMPT INSTANTIATION OF MORE THAN ONE INSTANCE OF VE. ((This will still give you 16 channels to work with.) If you instantiate more than one instance of VE, it will work as long as the file is open, but once you've saved and closed the file, attempting to open it again will result in a crash. In other words you will not be able to re-open the file! It is important to remember that, in Logic, MIDI Volume (CC7) changes will affect all 16 channels of a multi-instrument simultaneously. Since this is rarely desirable, use MIDI Expression (CC11) to affect changes in level for each channel - MIDI Expression settings can function independently on all 16 channels."............................................................... After you have done the above, click on the mixer page and in there will be your VE channel strip, at the bottom of the strip click on the + sign and you can assign all 16 VE instuments with their own aux channel and access to all logic plugins.....as you would with an exs or ultrabeat multi-instrument.........cheers Ian