Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

183,362 users have contributed to 42,293 threads and 255,057 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 10 new post(s) and 51 new user(s).

• I have no idea what people will or will not want to go see. Therefore, I'm not spending time trying to figure that out. And I certainly don't want to have to deal with more unnecessary technology (like a giant screen). We do know that people routinely go watch a single musician on a stage, like a pianist, where more than 80% of the audience can't see what the pianist is doing with their fingers. So, the assumption that people won't go see a single musician on a stage is misguided. They do that all the time.

Also, I have been to concerts where no one is on stage at all and there is no screen, just speakers playing pre-recorded orchestral music. Daniel Kellog's doctoral recital at Yale was a recent example. So, while that sort of "concet" is most unusual and presented as sub-optimal, it nonetheless did happen ... and the audience did, in fact, applaud ... even after having been told not to do so. But playing recordings in a concert hall does not unlock the hall's potential to enable a great musical experience.

More important than the question of what people will or will not want to see, to me, is the musical result that can come from performing live in a concert hall. Look how much effort one puts into fashioning recordings with stereo imaging, "stage" placement, sampled reverbs, etc., often without knowing what the ultimate playback device will be (iPod, kitchen, or car stereo, for example). Contrast this with a concert hall. The hall is like a big instrument. You can play it, or the sounds produced in it, by modulating one's tempo, emphases, balance, loudness, articulation, etc. To what end? Well, that's the crux of the whole matter.

For me, as a performing musician, using a concert hall is the most direct way to create the conditions under which a great musical experience might occur. Not only is it the most direct, it's the easiest way. As a musician that's what I'm trying to accomplish. I'm not concerned with "what will people watch." I'm concerned with "can we create these conditions where something great MIGHT happen?" The only way to get an answer is to try. And that's what I'm going to do.

If people want to come to the hall and see if I'm succeeding, great. They're certainly welcome. So, if you're in New York City in early November you're welcome to come to my public concert at Barge Music, where the Baltimore Chamber Orchestra and I will successively perform the same work. There you'll have a chance to hear a live orchestra and a digital one in a head-to-head comparison. My good friend Markand Thakar will conduct the live orchestra. I'll conduct the Fauxharmonic, using exclusively VSL's Vienna Instruments, of course!

• I studied music for years and applaud what has been done with VSL and the work done by Mr Smith. I, as a disabled musician and composer find it most exciting. I have also worked with commercial musicians and found a lack of professionalism about them, not all, but it still cost me a lot of money over the years. You see not all of us are so quick to dismiss this. Of course it will not replace top class musicians but it will replace the ones i've come across. Good luck to Mr Smith and his work, because in the end it will help us further down the snob scale to make interesting music. Cheers Ian

• So finally Stravinsky's witticisms about the "Orchestra Without Conductor" became reality.

"I am not concerned about orchestras without conductor but about the conductors without orchestra".

- Igor Stravinsky

"Conductors' careers are made for the most part with 'Romantic' music. 'Classic' music eliminates the conductor; we do not remember him in it".

- Igor Stravinsky

• last edited
    last edited

@Angelo Clematide said:

"I am not concerned about orchestras without conductor but about the conductors without orchestra".

- Igor Stravinsky

I love it! [:P]