Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

184,071 users have contributed to 42,336 threads and 255,231 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 7 new post(s) and 43 new user(s).

• cm,

I didn't mean as a plugin, but as a standalone on the Master DAW computer. What I was hoping for was (is) a way to get the outputs of the standalone VE3's back into the sequencer without getting another audio interface for loopback purposes.

I don't want to use Soundflower for standalone VE3 outputs. I was hoping not to have to buy a MADI interface for the master computer solely for loopbacks.

Your quote ('Finally you could also connect a VE-network to the *localhost* means running VE-network on the same machine where the sequencer resides so splitting load across the sequencing machine and a dedicated VE slave.') seemed to indicate that there might be a way to send the standalone VE3 outputs on the master computer on the network and back into the sequencer. Perhaps I read too much into your quote.

• jack, both is true. you can run VE network without the need of any audio device on the slave, but you can if you want (the stand-alone, then a midi connection is needed)

christian

and remember: only a CRAY can run an endless loop in just three seconds.
  • cm,

I'm not really sure if my question is understood or if I'm not understanding the syntax of your answer.

You wrote:

both is true. you can run VE network without the need of any audio device on the slave,

That is well understood,

You also wrote:

but you can if you want (the stand-alone, then a midi connection is needed)

Are you referring to running VE3 on the Master DAW machine here? If so, yes, I understand that I'll need to send MIDI to VE3 on the Master DAW.

However, will the audio ouputs of standalone VE3's on the Master DAW machine somehow get back into my sequencer through the ethernet network? It would be nice not to have to get a loopback-capable audio interface to do this.   

• Christian,

I'm guessing this offers yet another workaround for not having 64bit on the Mac? That is, I could use the loopback interface on my Mac Pro to channel the audio/midi to/from multiple instances of VE 3.0, running on the same machine, thereby getting access to all my 16GB of RAM on the Mac... Does that make sense? Is that possible? It's not that this would be radically different from using standalones with Jack or Soundflower and IAC midi, but it would feel much more integrated, to have everything running through VST instances... Am I understanding this correctly?

Herb. Congrats! That's a mind-boggling setup you've got there... The dream comes true at last. Amazing!

J.

• A question for Christian:

If you are using a MacPro equipped with sufficient RAM and are runnning OS 10.5.x (Leopard) does the "localhost" feature of VE 3 mean that one can instantiate multiple VE standalones and send the audio back into a DAW running on the same Mac Pro without having an interface which has loopback feature?

For users who are not frequently runnin and orchestra with 3 solo trumpets, trumpets a3 and trumpets a6 and all strings from solos to Appassionata 1 and 2 simultaneously this might be a way to run both the DAW and a VE 3  orchestra on one machine.

I would be most appreciative of your insights regarding this. 

• Yes, that is the question I'm trying to get answered.

So far I seem to be not getting my question across properly.

Actually, I'm quite pleasantly surprised by how well VSL people do with English as a second language.

• Sorry, stevesong... I wasn't very clear. We're asking the same thing. The loopback is another name for localhost, the loopback ethernet interface - 127.0.0.1. So, yes Christian - that's the $100,000 question! But maybe we should wait till reasonable people get out of bed in Vienna! ;-)

Mind you, since the VE presumably doesn't really know, or care, *where* the host is, as long as it has a valid IP, then I'd assume the answer is a big "yes". Which is sweet - makes tying together a bunch of standalones really simple. Still waiting for a 64bit version for Mac, though... Right now I'm using a mix of VI and VE instances, making it a bit strange keeping track of everything. Plus, the power panning in the VE is really great - brilliant for localizing sections. So hopefully a 64bit Mac VE is not too far off (sounds like it will be Qt 4.5 which will make this possible... I don't think it's released yet).

J.

•  To add my attempt at clarification - we want to know if the following is possible:

1. Logic (or DP) and a standalone instance of VE3, both open on the same machine.

2. Audio flowing from the standalone VE3 into the sequencer through virtual connections WITHIN the computer, i.e., no need to send the audio out of your interface and back in.

I.e., like Rewire, but better, because it's VSL. 

PL 

• last edited
    last edited

@plurye said:

To add my attempt at clarification - we want to know if the following is possible:

1. Logic (or DP) and a standalone instance of VE3, both open on the same machine.

2. Audio flowing from the standalone VE3 into the sequencer through virtual connections WITHIN the computer, i.e., no need to send the audio out of your interface and back in.

I.e., like Rewire, but better, because it's VSL. 

PL 

Actually you can sucker FXT into working on one machine, so it might be possible to do it with VE. Don't know how that would work on Mac though. Also, you would might be limited to 3GB or so of memory.

DG

•  But wouldn't this new, native capability be instead of FXT?  Actually, interesting question whether or not you can run both simultaneously (VE's new native support for ethernet audio, as well as FXT for non-VE VIs).

• last edited
    last edited

@DG said:

Actually you can sucker FXT into working on one machine, so it might be possible to do it with VE. Don't know how that would work on Mac though. Also, you would might be limited to 3GB or so of memory.

DG

Leopard is fully 64bit, but a 64 bit, OS 10.5.x compatible version of VE is not currently available. However, right now, with sufficient RAM and processing power, it is possible to run several separate VE standalones on an OS 10.4.11 or OS 10.5.1 Mac so that one can far exceed the 3GB limit imposed by the fact that the OS X version of VE is 32 bit. Currently, however, looping VE's audio back into a DAW requires an audio interface whose software has a loopback feature or an audio interface with multiple ADAT ins and outs so that one can physically cable one set of outputs to another set of inputs (e.g. on a MOTU 2408, one can cable Bank C's outputs to Bank B's inputs and use an AUX channel in the DAW whose inputs are 2 channels from Bank B and whose outputs are channels 1 & 2.) The question being asked by many here is, I think:

Does VE 3 eliminate the need for such loopback features or procedures in the audio interface? 

• Stevesong, I think was are talking at cross purposes. FWIW Herb already said that the network thingy of VE is just that; for use over a network, so you will still need the loopback stuff that you are already using, if you want to use multiple standalones.

What I was trying to explain was that on PC you can fool FXT into thinking that it is using a network, when it isn't. However, you can't use standalones to do this. Therefore, that's why I was suggesting there might be a 3GB or so limit, even if it is possible on either Mac or PC.

DG

• fellows,

This string of postings is becoming like an endless loop.  

What we need is cm to come back online and further explain the hardware & configuration implications of this sentence: 

'Finally you could also connect a VE-network to the *localhost* means running VE-network on the same machine where the sequencer resides so SPLITTING A LOAD ACROSS THE SEQUENCING MACHINE AND A DEDICATED VE SLAVE.'

And basically all we need to know is either yes, we still need a loopback interface to pipe audio from standalone VE3's on our Master sequencing machines back into the sequencer or no, we don't one.

• A few things... 1) You can already loop audio back into a DAW on the Mac, using either Soundflower or Jack, though many people have had better results using a hardware audio interface - channeling audio out one lightpipe, and back into another. 2) The "loopback" ethernet interface is exactly that, a network interface, with the IP 127.0.0.1. So, using the loopback interface is running on a network. It just has a special IP... 3) Herb's example setup uses 3 VE 3.0 instances, apparently routing audio back into the DAW [ EDIT - to be more clear, routing audio back into the **sequencer**. It's not a separate machine. ], via the local/loopback ethernet interface (127.0.01), though I obviously can't see the network settings.

So, it's hard to imagine that this won't be possible on the Mac. We should be able to launch multiple VE 3 instances, and communicate with them using the loopback _ethernet_ interface - no audio hardware involved. It's just a matter of how VE 3 sorts out different instances, and how the VST side figures out which instance is sending audio. I'm assuming this is done by dynamically assigned each instance a free port - that would be a typical way to channel information around a single machine...

Hopefully Christian can come in and clear this up, once and for all. Personally, I think we're fretting over nothing.

J.

• last edited
    last edited

@Jack Weaver said:

'Finally you could also connect a VE-network to the *localhost* means running VE-network on the same machine where the sequencer resides so SPLITTING A LOAD ACROSS THE SEQUENCING MACHINE AND A DEDICATED VE SLAVE.'

This may mean that there's only one port for the localhost, which would be a shame. But if that's the case, I don't understand how Herb's test setup is configured. It seems pretty clear that he has 3 instances of VE 3.0, running on the same machine as Cubase, routing multiple channels of audio back, over the local network... I don't know how he'd be doing it otherwise.

J.

• last edited
    last edited

@Jack Weaver said:

fellows,

This string of postings is becoming like an endless loop.  

What we need is cm to come back online and further explain the hardware & configuration implications of this sentence: 

And basically all we need to know is either yes, we still need a loopback interface to pipe audio from standalone VE3's on our Master sequencing machines back into the sequencer or no, we don't one.

EXACTLY!! 

Christian:

Please explain when you have a chance - - otherwise we will all continue to disagree about the precise number of angels who can stand on the head of a pin. 

• last edited
    last edited

Here is my version of the VSL system, which I am ordering through the UK retailer scan.co.uk 😄 Notice my 16 2gb ECC Sticks etc.

Bring on VE3 I say.....I can't wait.

Derek Gibbons

http://www.derekgibbons.com

•  It is just incredible what you've achieved guys! I'm VERY excited to buy and use this!!!!

THANKS A LOT !!!! 

• last edited
    last edited

I did some research... there are no chipsets for C2D supporting more than 8GB of RAM it seems. However there are AM2+ (Phenom) boards, that support 16GB of ECC RAM. Gigabyte boards with the 790FX chpiset are supposed to take up to 16GB DDR2 ECC RAM in 4 memory slots. These boards are the GA-MA790X-DS4, the -DS5 and -DQ6. But there would be the need for 4GB DDR2 ECC modules.

There is also a board by EliteGroup, the A770M-A, which says it would support up to 32GB of Non-ECC DDR2-RAM. Problem here is, that there are no Non-ECC RAM modules with capacities greater than 2GB per stick. All other boards by other manufactors with the 790FX chipset only support up to 8GB RAM.

So using the GA-DS4, a 9500 Phenom, 4x 4GB DDR2 ECC RAM, single Raptor and Seagate 1TB drive, peripherals and cases and so on, building 2 of these machines you could cut the costs down by approx. 1000 Euro from around 3400 Euro to 2400 Euro for the minimal 32GB setup. Untested tho 😉 Or just get a third machine in the like for additional stuff for the same price 😄

Crazy idea? Anything else speaking against such a setup?

PolarBear

Edit 01-28 00:56 GMT: FWIW, there seem to be more boards having 16GB RAM support but only 4 slots, just found another one with AM2 CPU support, the Gigabyte GA-M68SM-S2, but it's not very useful as long as there are no 4GB Non-ECC RAM modules availible...

•  Just for comparison's sake, you could also get the following:

Dual Quad 2.8GHz MacPro (12MB L2 cache per processor- 6MB shared per pair of cores), 1600MHz Frontside bus: $2800

32 GB RAM (8 x 4GB sticks) 800MHz DDR2 ECC FB-DIMM from Other World Computing: $2900

2 X150 GB Western Digital 10,000 RPM Raptor drive $420.00

1000GB Seagate 7200 RPM drive: $320.00

Total:  $6530,00

In the US, no sales tax is charged if equipment (including the MacPro) is purchased online from most resellers other than Apple. If you elected to purchase the MacPro from Apple or an Apple store and live in New York City the sales tax would be 8.25% or $231. (RAM and drives purchased from OWC and other, similar, resellers are free of sales tax.)

Model with one 2.8 GHz Quad Core  processor is $500 less expensive.

On this machine one could run OS 10.5.x and/or Vista 64