Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

190,565 users have contributed to 42,747 threads and 257,188 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 3 new thread(s), 11 new post(s) and 33 new user(s).

• last edited
    last edited

@jbm said:

Hey Paul, what's up?5 grand sounds pretty high... what did you add for drives? J.
    Oh yeah - I added all the drives - a one terabyte was included in there I think. I would go to ebuyer.com for hard drives like I said. Yeah - 17.5 percent VAT is ridiculous but it's been like that for years. I think I went for the 3.2 litre model also. I've only got a 2.8 litre car - computers are mad! Then there's all the wireless/bluetooth stuff - it all adds up. Also, I just remembered - I added in a 30 inch screen - yeah - that came to about £1100 I think.

• last edited
    last edited

@PaulR said:

Oh yeah - I added all the drives - a one terabyte was included in there I think. I would go to ebuyer.com for hard drives like I said. Yeah - 17.5 percent VAT is ridiculous but it's been like that for years. I think I went for the 3.2 litre model also. I've only got a 2.8 litre car - computers are mad! Then there's all the wireless/bluetooth stuff - it all adds up. Also, I just remembered - I added in a 30 inch screen - yeah - that came to about £1100 I think.

Holy Shite! Were you just mucking about, or do you actually have to pay for that beast? I suppose the 3.2 is worthwhile, but I figured the 2.8 is already going to be a pretty good bump. And I wanted to save money for RAM... and food, rent, wine, beer... 😉

cheers,

J.

• The thing is - I can't be bothered with all these Apple screens anymore and Logic 8 (which I don't use - but we use in another studio) seems to me to be geared for basically one screen. And since I am as blind a bat most of the time, I figured one big screen would be a good plan. - Personally - I would not bother keeping the Mac I currently have. Yeah - I know people tell me to keep it because you can node etc etc - but with these Macs now - why bother with all that? The whole point is to try and get the studio down to one computer, which is what I use anyway. Ram is from Crucial.com for me - no problems with them ever. I will change my soundcard this time around too - Apogee. I have been waiting some time to do this so it comes as no financial shock or anything like that. No worries - yet! :)

• With all this excitement about new machines, and stacks of RAM, I wonder what the 64-bit status is on the VE? Are we getting any closer? Has apple choked up the necessary frameworks? It would sure be great not to have to setup multiple standalone VEs, though I'd imagine that's exactly what I'll be doing. Any bright light at the end of the 32-bit tunnel, cm?

J.

• basically the status is the same as it was .... since i'd assume apple would not revert their decision regarding 64bit support we still have to wait for this release ...

http://trolltech.com/company/newsroom/announcements/press.2007-12-17.6192777923

Oslo, 19 December - 2007 - Trolltech today released the first technology preview of Qt 4.4 to its commercial customers and open source users for testing and feedback. Qt 4.4 is the upcoming feature release of Trolltech's leading cross-platform development framework. The technology preview will be followed by a beta release early next year, with a final release currently scheduled for late Q1 2008.

christian

and remember: only a CRAY can run an endless loop in just three seconds.
  • Oh, okay. Well, that's a bit of light at the end of the tunnel, I guess. I poked around a bit more on their site, but couldn't find anything specific - is this their first release of the Cocoa port of Qt? Your post implies that perhaps 64-bit support will be included in 4.4... Yes?

J.

• "since i'd assume apple would not revert their decision regarding 64bit support" Sorry for missing your earlier comments, cm, but what does that mean? I was under the impression that 10.5 has 64-bit support, no?

• last edited
    last edited

apple terminated carbon 64bit support, whereas the formerly promised - only cocoa will go 64bit - see also this post, following and previous

christian

• But is there some possibility, or even certainty, that the new Qt will solve the problem? I'm just trying to understand why you posted about the new Qt - I couldn't find anything relating specifically to the Mac at all...

• last edited
    last edited

here is the more or less official statement - AFAIK a respective developer beta was issued end of december. if not even they announce a release date obviously i cannot too, you know there is more to do than simply add 32bit ....

christian

Too old for Rock n Roll. Too young for 9th symphonies. Wagner Lover, IRCAM Alumni. Double Bass player starting in low Es. I am where noise is music.
  • ,,,hehe

You deleted that quickly Holgmeister... You do realize that some of us get this thread over email, don't you? ;-)

J.

• funny ...(did i add my old sig somewhere?) .. problem with the cray x-something systems is only, that the interconnect (assumably infiniband) will cost as much a maxed-out 8-core ... an amount which this company considers to be a low price usually allows poor musicians to equip a complete studio ...

christian

ps: i don't know why you deleted the post since i'd assume everybody had understood the joke ...

• last edited
    last edited

@cm said:

and remember: a CRAY is the only computer that runs an endless loop in just four hours ... ... christian

So, here is the full scoop on CRAY and VSL: Why bother with an overhyped and underperformed POS like Steve "Master of Deep Bull Shit " Jobs Apple MAC G5?

Here is the new kid on the block:

"BlackWidow and Cray XT3(TM)-class supercomputers will use a new scalable infrastructure, called "Rainier" (like the famous Duke of Monaco who spend is mob-washed money on this)

which provides common input/output processing and system services.

This will give customers a uniquely powerful way to combine best-in-class vector and scalar processing power in a more economical and flexible package, avoiding the administrative costs and complexities of having to install and manage separate systems.

Building on the success of the Cray X1E system, the new BlackWidow supercomputer will give musicians and composers a powerful computational tool that offers dramatically improved price/performance and enhanced capabilities designed to solve complex problems that are beyond the abilities of cluster systems using commodity processors," said Peter Ungaro, Cray's president and CEO.

"The tightly integrated design will allow VSL to configure an optimal mix of vector and scalar computing resources in a single supercomputer running the familiar Linux operating system.

"We are proud to announce that the famous dedicated hardware ressource to run VSL MIR is US!, the infamous CRAY system. Can you imagine an orchestral system in realtime? Yes, we can.." added Peter Ungaro.

"And you don't have to mortgage your house for us. Your soul is sufficient" he added. (or so)

The full text is here (maybe I quote it wrong in some detail) see

http://investors.cray.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=98390&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=876494

(and don't go out and buy VSL stocks, there is no merger in sight right now. )

P.P.S: Newest development said that parallel scalar processing of numbers has not proven feasible for audio processing, where synchronicity in realtime is key. So re-read your books about FFT and synchronous multiple window size before suggesting some more processing on video cards.

Too old for Rock n Roll. Too young for 9th symphonies. Wagner Lover, IRCAM Alumni. Double Bass player starting in low Es. I am where noise is music.