Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,730 users have contributed to 42,254 threads and 254,896 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 0 new thread(s), 5 new post(s) and 39 new user(s).

• manu,

The tone of your post comes across to me as very arrogant, ignorant, and ungrateful.

I believe VSL is breaking new ground, and has produced a product that not only has no competition
    but also has the unfortunate position of not being able to reference any product hereto released
    by any manufacture in our field to use as a root or ground floor to build from.

Its all new territory.

Yes, there are some common features like that fact that it is an audio/midi program, and a VI plugin...
    But thats where it ends.

We are seeing them build the road and at the sametime drive on it.

Naturally there will be areas that need attention, fixes, updates and so on.

Don't forget that this is a company of musicians and composers like you and me and they also
    use their own products and what bothers you/me also bothers them and they are trying to find
    the best way to resolve issues.

It is obvious to me that they have very talented developers working for them and I find VE/VI
    extremely elegant and streamlined and quiver at the thought of having to launch other VI's.

I feel you should find better ways to express your frustration at such a revolutionary
    product and company and I hope you appreciate what they have accomplished and allowed us
    composers to accomplish on our computers with our music. Its absolutely incredible how amazing
    this product is.

I look toward to the future and can only imagine what VSL is capable of and eagerly await new releases.

If I have a suggestion I state it but I would never put down or insult this company or its employees
    because of the issues I have with their product. I look at what I it has allowed me to do and it puts
    a smile on my face.

We chose to use this product, no one forced us.
    Good luck,
    David

• Hi DM33,

I totally agree with your statements, except, of course, for your "arrogant, ignorant, and ungrateful" ... and I don't understand why you're talking about "Insult" here.

For the arrogant part I'm sorry not to be always "politically correct" but, beside the fact that my english vocabulary is poor (which can explain a part of it) when I state that VSL is the worth _PLUGIN_ experience (not product) I never have, I'm sorry but that's unfortunately true, I mean it, and I appreciate that VSL people are not considering arrogant the fact that I give us my time and feedback.

But maybe I have to explain this a bit more - as the topic of this thread is not clear:

- First I'm talking about the "loading" experience of VSL plugin at the launch of a logic audio pro and or the loading of logic audio pro project.
    - Then just Let's compare with a plugin like Toontrack DFH superior (quite a similar product, I mean I use it to load the same amount of sample data as VSL, around 1GB inside a track) : when it loads the samples the plugin doesn't override all OS windows focus (one thing I've never seen among OSX applications, it looks like a very dirty hack in my eyes). I don't need to open one window first to go to the main plugin window... it seems - quote from the vsl online video - that this is just mac specific ... what does it mean ?
    - Now let's compare to logic 7.x or Maya (usb key protected software) : they don't take between 10 and 20 seconds to check their licenses.
    And I'm pretty unhappy with all that. Because I'm sure this can be avoided ...

DFH, or Maya has other kind of issues, my Line6 Gearbox plugin too, and because I love those products... I've told them.

For the Ignorant part : I'm actually ignorant, but aren't we all... in a way ? In the other hand I'm a very pragmatic user and have a pretty serious experience of all kind of media production software. And, another thing, concerning user experience and its design, my experience is that ignorance is bless on that very specific matter.
    One other thing, I know for sure, is that most developers have that inclination that consist to hide some kind of laziness behind statements like "Behave correctly, as expected" or "That's the kind of thing user should not do" (i.e: write a mail while a software is loading... ) where everybody else on earth will see a bug. Why not just say ..."yeah I know that, it's not easy ...etc" instead ?

... as for the Ungrateful, you're totally wrong. I'm amazed by VSL work (quality and amount of samples, player performances, the usability, versatility and beauty of the vienna instrument software is really stunning). But, don't you think that "tickling somebody where it hurts" (french expression) is not always for doing harm ? (There's a beautiful "little bird" metaphor about it in "My name is nobody" movie, for the connoisseur. This metaphor is my credo).

So I've been a bit harsh, have I ?
    Maybe, maybe not...

(by the way : I'm happy to learn that we're talking of a small developer team here, as I know for sure that small teams do the best products on earth. Give me some times, and, as I promise I will contact people here and there and try to convince them to be more understanding).

• last edited
    last edited

@cm said:

feel free to contact support@vsl.co.at anytime you think a real issue needs to be solved.

Well, that's exactly what I don't need.
    How could I seriously ask someone to do something for you if I don't even have a name to provide ?
    Imagine my mail:

"Hi, X
    Excuse me to disturb you but I have a specific request for you :
    I know a fabulous product that seems to get issues to plug with Logic... blahblah ...
    do your possible by contacting : support@vsl.co.at."

I think we don't understand each other, at all, Christian.

Com'on don't be shy, get my email address out of that forum database and give it a try ... who knows you could be surprised.
    I promise I will use this contact and mailbox just once.

• [quote=manu_28410][quote=cm] feel free to contact

Loading times of matrices and patches have been significantly accelerated compared to former sampler platforms (like for e.g. in EXS 24 MKII loading a _perf-leg_p+f patch was about 18 sec, in the Vienna Instrument this takes about 4-8 sec for the first time it gets loaded and 1,5 sec for yet another). Besides it doesn´t make sense to compare EXS and Vienna Instruments player because their architecture is completely different (just one big difference: Vi appears to be a "plug-in" BUT in fact it is an application of its own and has its own audio engine integrated and EXS uses Logic´s audio engine/license/RAM etc.)

The time, which is needed to open a Vienna Instrument in Logic is something different. The license scan depends mainly on how much content/licenses you have installed. The licenses for each instrument and for the two levels (standard and extended level) need to be checked on your Vienna Key. For the 1st Vienna Instrument to be opened this will take up to a minute (or more depending on how much content is installed). The following instruments will show up much faster, because all licenses are already scanned.

There are 2 applications involved in the license scan - LCC and Vi Software. Scanning has been already optimized in both applications and our developers are working on further possibilities to optimize it, together with Syncrosoft. As mentioned before - all of us work with our Software too and we´re keen to improve it.

1) I´d recommend to add only the content you need to your Directory Manager. 

2) You can also add VI Standalone to your "login Items". It will then start up automatically when you log in - and it will start the license scan too. Close Standalone then and start to work with VI´s in your sequencer.

Maya

VIENNA SYMPHONIC LIBRARY 

• In your original post you wrote these statements which are all arrogant, ignorant, and ungrateful:

"cheap VSL loading alert window"
    "very very boring"
    "very very, very, poor"
    "worst plugin experience I ever had"
    "could be time for VSL to hire people"
    "just send me a mail if you want me to put you through"

All very arrogant statements.

It is obvious from further posts that you do not understand the product's unique architecture and what is involved
    in its launching and license checking.

When you compare the VI to products that don't even come close to resembling what VSL VI is accomplishing
    it shows your ignorance.

Most vi's don't check content, they are only checking the vi player. If you have the license it works.

Also, and this is a big one, most vi's don't see all your RAM or allow you to access more RAM.
    VSL have found an ingenious way to allow us to load more samples. On the PC its 64-bit
    but on the Mac the currents limits of the OS forced them to redesign the product so Mac users
    can load multiple instances inside and outside their sequncer and load 3gb of samples in each
    instance.

So there is your ungratefulness.

Instead of just using the product and enjoying its features you want to write posts that nit-pick
    details of how it loads.

I think you have better things to do, and so do they, then waste their time about these things.

If you have some constructive critisicm I'm sure they are all ears to hear it but there is nothing constructive
    in your posts.

I'm done with this thread, no need to respond.

I wish you all the best!
    DM

• Thank you Maya.
    I appreciate your answers a lot and I can easily understand that, for some reasons, you've chosen to use your own engine.

here's 3 comments, and I'm done:

- during the loading (of the project, not inside the pseudo AU, under Tiger at least I've not tested under Leopard yet) ) you still have a problem of your alert window keeping the focus from the user, wich is a real pain. Please try to find a way to avoid that.

- Like most people, I really like to get an idea of where I am when loading my RAM with large amount of material. so I think a progress bar/feedback, even instrument by instrument, like EXS do, would be a good improvement during that phase (feedback is important and I guess that this, combine with the focus bug, explains why I find that the loading is so long...).

- this (app vs plugin) explains another issue, from what I remember : you can't switch from Logic window to VSL interface using usual shortcuts (command `). When you use a lot of plugins and instrument and let their window opened to play with it, like I do, this is boring. But knowing why now, I think there's nothings you could do, except maybe provide somewhere a preference to allow VSL instances to show up as real applications (and can be reached using command+tab).

Now, for sure, my needs are not those of a guy writing a movie score.

Thanks again.
    Manuel

(As for DM33, as I don't know what to say ... I will not answer as asked...)