Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

190,089 users have contributed to 42,706 threads and 256,980 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 4 new thread(s), 40 new post(s) and 36 new user(s).

• Ensemble and VI on a Network

Sorry if the question has been asked before, but I did not find an answer, so here it goes. I would like to dedicate a Mac to the ensemble, but still be able to load old cues with VI in Logic on my main machine. I don't have time to reconfigure everytime, the turn around is way too short ( TV series ) so it would be great to know if this would work. I am sure someone has tried this before, and will spare me time and energy to figure it out myself ;-) Thanks in advance. Sophia

• this looks to me rather to be a license problem than an issue of data and network ...

with a single license (per collection) on one key you would need to attach the key to the respective computer for the choosen setup

christian

and remember: only a CRAY can run an endless loop in just three seconds.
  • Well, some libraries let you do this, like for example PLAY from east-west " Networking Support* If you still need more power, our built-in NETWORK CONTROL allows you to load instruments on other machines controlled from your host computer No more trips back and forth between computers, no more KVM switching when loading projects No need to buy additional software The PLAY system is a professional fully integrated solution for those with the most demanding production requirements " You also can have Logic installs on multiple machines, but it will let you open it only on one. Sophia

• last edited
    last edited

well, from the east-west FAQ ...

@Another User said:

PLAY will allow you to control instances running on multiple slave machines from your host computer.** This includes the loading and unloading of patches and changing settings. Each slave computer must have the library and software installed, and an iLok attached which authorizes the system. PLAY does not send audio over LAN.

Each computer on which you install a library requires a license. If you install a library on 5 machines, you will need 5 licenses, one for each machine. If you install it on one machine, you will need one license, for that machine. If the machines are on a network together, you can control an open PLAY instance on any slave computer from your host.

Say you have a host computer with Ministry of Rock loaded, and two slaves, one with Gypsy and Voices of Passion and another with Fab Four and a second copy of Gypsy.

Your host would need an iLok containing a Ministry of Rock license.
    Your first slave would need an iLok containing one Gypsy license and one Voices of Passion License.
    Your second slave would need an iLok containing one Fab Four license and one Gypsy license.

On your host computer, you can load up Ministry of Rock patches. You could also remotely control Gypsy, Voices of Passion, and Fab Four on the slave machines.

If you wanted to rearrange any of these libraries, you could swap your licesnses around on iLok.com as much as you like until you find the right combination for your studio.

i don't see any basic difference to my reply above and the situation with VI licenses ....

christian

edit: i also don't understand the comment about logic - you can have multiple installs, yes - and where the dongle is attached you can open it ... same with VI collections

• last edited
    last edited

@cm said:

i don't see any basic difference to my reply above and the situation with VI licenses ....

christian

Ok Christian, I missunderstood for Play, but Logic Studio does it for sure. To me it would be helpful even with a limitation regarding what you can open, even with an extra fee. Regards Sophia

• well, i never tried this with logic studio ...

do you mean install logic pro on several machines with a single license and only beeing allowed to open it on one machine simultaneously (logic asking across the network if another instance with the same license is already running) or are you referring to logic node (allowing to run effect plugins on a remote computer)?

however logic is software and you can also open Vienna Instruments Software or Vienna Ensemble Software on as many *nodes* you like - you just can't load a collection on several machines.

but check your mail ... christian

• last edited
    last edited

@cm said:

well, i never tried this with logic studio ...

do you mean install logic pro on several machines with a single license and only beeing allowed to open it on one machine simultaneously (logic asking across the network if another instance with the same license is already running) or are you referring to logic node (allowing to run effect plugins on a remote computer)?

Yes Christian This is an information coming directly from Apple/Emagic. Best Sophia

• well, i still don't know to which of the two points in my question the *yes* is referring to, but i 'd assume we found an alternate solution for sophia

christian