Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

188,327 users have contributed to 42,591 threads and 256,456 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 1 new thread(s), 17 new post(s) and 39 new user(s).

• Just got Horizion Chamber Strings: EXS or Kontakt format?

Hello everyone,

I just purchased Horizion Chamber Strings and am very excited about it! However, I have a bit of a decision to make when it comes to registering it. In my composition work, I currently use both EXS and Kontakt 2, and LOVE IT when sample developers give you the option on which format to use, as different formats are better with different applications. Unfortunately VSL does not, and crossgrading is not a financial option for me. So I'm weighing the pros and cons of each format, trying to come to a decision, and would LOVE some feedback from users.

I already own other vsl horizion series instruments in EXS format (Solo strings, Opus bundle) so I already have a registered copy of the VSL tools running in Logic. However, in Logic 8, the VSL tools are broken! Ok, they work, but you cannot edit them, making the repetition and alternation tools useless. Thus I'm seriously considering going with Kontakt format, as their tools will never break, as they are now scripts! However, the EXS is MUCH more efficient, and therefore my #1 format!! See my dilemma?

All horizion libs come with EXS format patches already, but if I do not register the library in EXS format, I do not have access to updated patches, etc. However, the performance tools seem to work due to my registration of other libs, which is a very good thing! This means the only think missing if I go the Kontakt route is the updated patches, which may or may not be a problem, I don't know.

Is it worth the hassle of registering this library as Kontakt just to ensure that my horizion libs will ALWAYS work, regardless of what apple does or does not do in the future? If I register and unlock the VSL Kontakt scripts, will they work on my exs format Solo Strings / Opus bundle in Kontakt 2? If I dont register in EXS format, will I be missing any major updates to EXS patches?

Thanks in advance for your help! It just scares me that VSL is reliant upon another party to make their instruments work, and who knows how long they will continue to be nice and support it. I guess thats why VSL designed their own VI!! :D