Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

186,759 users have contributed to 42,477 threads and 255,921 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 12 new post(s) and 36 new user(s).

• Virtual Memory Too Low?

Hey guys,

Running XP64 with 8 gigs RAM on slave machines.

I keep getting this message when I'm loading matrices in VE:

Windows Virtual Memory Minimum Too Low

Your system is low on virtual memory. Windows is increasing the size fo your virtual memory paging file. During this process, memory requests for some applications may be denied. For more information, see Help.

Then, in Task Manager, I see that available memory begins to increase almost back to the full amount of RAM in the system.

My question is: What should my virtual memory be set to in Windows?

Thanks,
    Mahlon

• I had the same message yesterday working XP64.  Never had the message until I added a 2nd instance of VE.

Jim

• [quote=Mahlon]

Exactly the same problem for me. I have win XP 64 and 8 gigs RAM. How to set virtual memory? should I disable it? When I load any VI in VE, it seems that it is sending the samples in the virtual memory (page file?) whitch is not good I guess. My samples are on a independent raptor.

Yohann

• by default windows allocates a dynamic range for the pagefile (something like minimum 512 MB maximum the amount of RAM installed) - basically i don't think this is a good idea, because (as you notice) the operating system may decide at an incovenient moment to increase the file (the system becomes busy, the pagefile fragmented, ect..)

therefore i usually (not only on computers for sampling) set the pagefile to a fixed value or actually to *don't use a pagefile*.

whereas some applications expect to have a pagefile available, i don't find it useful for a pure sampling computer with 2 GB RAM or more installed (we need to have everything in RAM).

numbers which turned up to work fine here are about 1/4 of the installed RAM (min + max) so i had it set to 2048 MB on an 8 GB XP64 computer.

i've noticed that above ~7.5 GB loaded samples the system *tilts* and starts to move data to the pagefile ... well, leaving less than 512 MB to the operating system and all other running processes might really be not the best idea ...

size and location of the pagefile can be set in (rightclick) properties of my computer - advanced - performance [settings] - advanced - virtual memory [change] ... mark each volume shown in the list and set custom size (min + max to the same value) or actually to no pagefile.

the mentioned *minimum allowed* is related to the dump-file which is written when an exception occures (using no pagefile might result in no dump-file after a bluescreen)

the best setting varies between computers and different setups (installed applications), but i'd try to keep it as low as possible.

christian

and remember: only a CRAY can run an endless loop in just three seconds.
  • haha ... a few minutes after my post this happened on an office computer (XP32 pro, 1 GB RAM, pagefile set to min 512 max 1024 MB, always heavily overloded) - you can see windows started to increase the pagefile when applications needed more then 1,5 GB memory

Virtual memory low

and remember: only a CRAY can run an endless loop in just three seconds.
  • Thanks for the info on that. These two computers are for VE only, so I may just set to no paging.

Mahlon