Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

188,328 users have contributed to 42,591 threads and 256,456 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 1 new thread(s), 16 new post(s) and 39 new user(s).

• Is there any possibility to assign differen controllers for different matrixes?

I found out, that the fastest way for me to create smooth legatos is to use the modwheel for velocity crossfade and velocity for attack. On the other hand this controller setup is not working really good for the short note matrixes, where I would like to controll the velocity by velocity attack and have no controller for attack. Is there any way to do this without using to instances of VI?

• The problem is that you're setting Attack to velocity. I don't see any way round this, unless you set Attack to a continuous controller. With this setup you could switch Velocity xFade on and off, and stick to the default Attack for your staccatos.

DG

• Actually, what does Attack do when you are playing staccato?

DG

• What a pitty! Would be cool, if one could assign different controllers to different patches. If I play staccato and press the keys to strong, I get a staccato note with a very long attack time = I hear nothing. I had another controller for attack before, but within legato lines the fastest way for me to change attacks seems to be just changing the velocities in my sequence instead of drawing other controllers.

• I guess, what I´m looking for, is a way to controll the parameters of the single cells. That would be a good improvement in my oppinion.

• I can't help you on this issue, but I'm not quite sure what you are achieving by changing Attack times. Is there any way that you can upload either a MIDI file (with appropriate .fxb) or audio file where you have been changing Attack times on the fly, in case I can think of another way to get the same result.

DG

• last edited
    last edited

@Felix Bartelt said:

What a pitty! Would be cool, if one could assign different controllers to different patches. If I play staccato and press the keys to strong, I get a staccato note with a very long attack time = I hear nothing. I had another controller for attack before, but within legato lines the fastest way for me to change attacks seems to be just changing the velocities in my sequence instead of drawing other controllers.
    I think this is actually a good idea-I was wondering about it myself recently.Am i right in guessing that you want to control short notes with velocity and longer legato patches with a continuous fader?.It makes a lot of sense because shorter notes played in quick succession ,which they often are, require a nutty amount of line redrawing in your DAW.You can always assign a button to turn Vel Xfade on and off i suppose... Ray

• Speaking only for myself, I would not like to see controllers being changeable for each cell.   Many matrices end up being 10 – 20 cells of articulations each. The thought of having different controllers for these sounds hideously contorted.  There are already enough instances where, when changing through different Vienna Instruments in my orchestral setup, I end up saying, ‘Where did my sound go?’. Only to realize that I don’t hear the sound because of my controller setup being different from the last Vienna Instrument I clicked on to audition. The thought that I would most likely end up having to go through this within each matrix of each Vienna Instrument would be boggling.    I don’t see how the addition of this feature would speed up work within the VSL workflow. Adding another VI for Violins 1 is no big deal. That’s really the main place where people would end up using this anyway. The VI is so very efficient, computer resource-wise, that adding another one with just a few articulations is easy. Especially with all the new computers that are coming out currently. (Is there anyone out there who really only uses one VI for Violins 1 in a lengthy composition?)    Making all this stuff work is a real-world experience for us users. It’s not simply a competition for manufacturers to create every possibility.  

End rant.

aahh.....

• Probably right...It's very easy to become complacent when something like VI does almost everything for you.... No harm talking about it though!! Ray