Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,450 users have contributed to 42,227 threads and 254,798 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 15 new post(s) and 49 new user(s).

• lol true true, i better control myself

hmmmm cud i assign a controller on my yamaha motif ES8 such as moulation wheel,  ribbon controll or a button to switch between articulations, for example switch between sustained, deteche, pizz, legato etc on a cello in real time or is it all done on computer?

• Yes, if you are good enough.

DG

• well i do a lot of jazz myself and it wud be nice if it was possible to control different dynamics and velocaty ranges with the saxes, trumpet and switch between sustained and mute...you get the idea.  that wud be good for soloing and live performing.  real time control.  i cud juts assign one button or a key  to change articulations and use a pedal to control dynamics  couldnt i?  what do you think?

•  Andi et al,

I'm still not having any success getting the sound set for VE to allow for 16 channels and to save as such.  I'm not sure what I am doing wrong when I try to set the number of midi channels to 16 in the Sound Set Editor.

Can you give me the idiot-proof step by step breakdown of how I need to go about this?  Everything I try still gets the same results:  The number of channels reverts back to one as soon as I close out that playback window, regardless of whether or not I save.

Much thanks,

• How to make the Sibelius Soundset for Vienna Special Edition compatible with Vienna Ensemble. Step by Step.
    1. Close Sibelius
    2. Open the Sibelius Sound Set Editor.
    3. File - Open... - Open the "VSL Special Edition.xml" Sound Set File.
    4. Set Number of Channels to 16.
    5. File - Save
    6. Close Sound Set Editor
    7. Start Sibelius
    8. Open your Sibelius Project
    9. Play - Playback Devices
    10. Remove your Vienna Instruments or Vienna Ensembles from the active Devices List
    11. Add Vienna Ensemble
    12. Set Sound Set to "VSL Special Edition"
    13. Go to Manual Sound Sets
    14. Set Number of Channels to 16
    15. For each Channel choose your desired Program
    16. Apply for each channel before you go to the next one
    17. Save your Configuration
    18. In Vienna Ensemble choose the desired Matrix file for each instrument and set it to the same MIDI channel as in Sibelius.
    19. Save your Vienna Ensemble Project.
    20. In Sibelius save your Score.

I hope that was helpful. 

Andi

Vienna Symphonic Library
  •  Hi Andi,

Thanks for taking the time to write out the instructions.  This all makes sense to me, except that I can't seem to actually find the "VSL Special Edition.xml" file. 

I was assuming that it would be here:

/Users/your username/Library/Application Support/Sibelius Software/Sibelius 5/Sounds

However, it is not.

Any thoughts?

Omid 

• Hello Omid. 

My description was refering to a windows PC. As I can see now you are working on Apple. I think the sound set files you get with Sibelius (like the VSL Special Edition sound set) are hidden (on Apple) or not available for users for editing. However you can make additional sound sets and put it in the folder Users/username/Library/Application Support/Sibelius Software/Sibelius 5/Sounds.
    Please contact Sibelius if they know a way to edit preinstalled sound set files on Apple or if they can send you the xml.file to edit. The way of editing should be the same as on Windows PC.

Andi

Vienna Symphonic Library
  •  Thanks Andi!  Will do.

Omid 

•  So, here is what Daniel said on the Sib site.  I will try it in a moment.  I would never have figured this one out on my own, so perhaps this info will also help some others out there.

"On Mac, the default sound sets are built into the application. You can
    find them by right-clicking (or Control-clicking) on the Sibelius 5
    application icon, choosing Show Package Contents, then going into
    Contents/Components/Sounds.

I suggest you make a copy of the VSL sound set to avoid changing the one
    in the package: put yours in the location you originally looked for it,
    and Sibelius will thenceforth use your copy in preference to the one
    included inside the application package."

• ok guys  special edition came today  everything works great and sounds nice  BUT  where is the vsl xml soundset  file  this is on windows xp and not a mac   i cant find it anywhere including the folders in sibelius 5 and in vienna instruments  it seems i appear to be missing it 

can someone send me it   please  i need to strat work asap 

thanks

timmy

• last edited
    last edited

probably this is a useful link

http://www.sibelius.com/helpcenter/resources/soundsets.html

christian

and remember: only a CRAY can run an endless loop in just three seconds.
  • ok  in vienna enesmble  how do  i select which instrument  goes to which channel.  i have set them up in sibelius  the piano is channel 1  how do i get it to mtach so sibelius will playback correctly?

thanks

tim

• let me add: i think you don't need to execute any LAA hacks on sibelius, since VE is a seperate application and is using its own address space (and is of course large address aware) - however make sure you run the 5.1 version and the latest VE

christian

and remember: only a CRAY can run an endless loop in just three seconds.
  • Hello Tim!

The Sibelius guys made a nice pdf-document how to work with Sibelius 5.1 and VSL Special Edition. You can download it from here:
    http://www.sibelius.com/cgi-bin/helpcenter/search.pl?com=search&words=A555&language=1
    This should also answer your question.

Andi

Vienna Symphonic Library
  • ErisnoE Erisno moved this topic from Notation Programs & Vienna on
  • ErisnoE Erisno moved this topic from Finale on
  • ErisnoE Erisno moved this topic from Dorico on