Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

185,398 users have contributed to 42,393 threads and 255,502 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 12 new post(s) and 68 new user(s).

• Mosso:

Have you tried increasing the I/O Buffer Size in Logic's Preferences? (Logic/Preferences/Audio/Drivers) Using a buffer of 512k or 1024k I get no pops and clicks on my G5 (after the first plaback run) - - although it may also help that I am using a MOTU PCI 424/2408 audio interface rather than built-in audio.

• mosso, i'd not recommend to have the sample data on the internal drive at all ... FW800 should work fairly well (we also used a macBook Pro with a fireface 400 for some demos and actually FW400 drives for sample data)

is there anything else connected via firewire, something running besides logic and/or EXS instruments in the game?
    christian

and remember: only a CRAY can run an endless loop in just three seconds.
  • Thanks Christian & Steve.

There's nothing else plugged into the Mac other than my USB keyboard (CME UF[H], the XSkey and ViennaKey on a hub, and the DVI out for a second monitor. There are no other programs running (except the ones that run at startup - Finder and Dashboard). I get the dropouts using standalone mode too, but they are less regular.

I'm on the road at the moment so I'll try playing around with the buffer size when I get back to the studio, and then I'll report back with my findings.

Thanks again for your help!

Martin

• last edited
    last edited

@Maya said:

Hi all,

I posted all KNOWN reasons, why clicks and pops might occur on Mac, regarding unknown problems I already said:

However this might take a while since the problems occur randomly.

Best,

Maya

Hi VslĀ“lers,

if you ever come to Munich feel free to drop by. There is no randomness to this problem on all 3 Macs (G5DP2, MacPro and MacBookPro) here. Interfaces are Apogee Ensemble, m-Audio and Fireface 800. Systemversions are 10.4.9 and 10.4.6.

So I can provide some empirical crosssection......

I guess everybody is waiting for the 64bit 128 gig Ram machine? (Only takes a week to boot.....)

All the best,

Jochen

• I've been reading this thread with interest, and learnt a bit.

It's also been my experience in life that experts can occasionally miss the obvious as they tend to think at a more complex level for the root of a problem, or a collection of problems that together have a cumilative effect?

So, the basic questions i ask at this point, based on the problems presented, are:

Buffer size?
    We all have different ways of working, and differing setups. And as i guess we all know, sometimes the rage in the machine can produce differing results based on the same setups.

Conflicting Buffer rates?
    I've had this one before, and juggled rates until they matched, and i could input with tolerable latency, and still get relatively clean playback.

Data timing issues?
    Does one stream of data hit the DAW at a faster rate than another? That is, does the stream rate differ between sampler player types according to the usual HD in/out rate, processor load, or the speed of the specific sampler data request?

Two different sampler types calling samples from the same HD?
    I've done this one too, and had to change things around until everything was relatively happy, including separating libraries onto individual HD's, not just different volumes and partitions.

Differing Sample Data pre-buffer sizes?
    If the VI has a fixed buffer, and Kontakt has a user designated buffer option, are the two matched?

And given there are some users who don't have problems, i wonder if the issues are not VI or Kontakt related at all, but a driver conflict, or something as specific as HD Volume sizes, partition sizes, partition order,etc...

How many of you expert chaps run a small, fast, clean system drive, and dump all the other stuff on extra HD Internal/External IDE/SATA etc...., with the same attention to partition order,size, etc..

And how many with Macs are still running early Tiger or Panther OS's versus the latest updates? How many with older OSX's are having problems?

I'd be interested to hear from those who don't have issues, just how they set all this stuff up, including partition size, order, etc...

Alex.

• Hey all,

I finally got a chance to muck around with my buffer settings and I finally got the VI to work without any problems by setting the buffer to 1028. So, thanks for all the help everyone! Just one more question (for now)...

Any increase in the time delay between pressing the key and the note sounding caused by raising the buffer seems to be very small and manageable for the live playing of notes, but this setting seems quite high. On my PC slave the buffer is set to 256 and seems happy, so why does it need to be so high on the Mac, which is a newer (and faster) machine? Is it because I'm using the internal soundcard?

Once again, thanks!

Martin

• Adding my 2 Cents to this discussion. I am able to load almost 3GB of VI samples into Logic 7.2.3. I've also combined EXS 24 samples, converted Giga samles and various "powered by NI samples" (usually with some version of Kontakt player or Kontakt player 2) mixed with VI sammples up to about 3 GB. Clicks and pops sometimes occur when I first attempt playback. After that they do not occur. Buffer setting is either 512 or 1024k. As noted below, my audio interface is a MOTU 2408 mk3.

I suspect that many problems regarding this issue have to do with which audio interface and drivers one is using. The reason I suspect this is that this seems the one significant variable in different users differing experiences. This would explain why people with some audio interfaces and drivers consistently report problems while people with other audio interfaces and drivers report few or no problems.

I also strongly disagree with the idea that at U.S. firms, emotion is not allowed. If it is true in some firms, analysis usually reveals that the boss gets to express his or her emotions while everyone else kowtows. This usually has the effect of stifling creativity and imagination among employees.

My wife, an architect, is a senior member of large and innovative architectural and design firm. As one might imagine in a firm with 200 architects, designers, renderers, model makers, etc., everyone has a lot of opinions - - and emotions get expressed every day. The organizatioon of this company is designed to allow for spontaneous repsonses. It does not happen that the boss says X and all emplyoyees pretend that think that X is great, rather everyone is encouraged to say what they think whether they are in agreement, have some criticisms or think that X is absolutely the worst idea they've ever heard of. . Out of such varying responses and suggestions, intelligent creative discussion arises. Creativity is encouraged by mutual trust, not by fear of punishment or by stifling thought, opinion or emotion.