Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

190,087 users have contributed to 42,705 threads and 256,979 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 3 new thread(s), 39 new post(s) and 34 new user(s).

• Is it fine to batch convert solo winds to mono?

Hi all,

Is it fine to batch convert solo winds to mono? Or will this sound "wrong"?

In other words the perf-leg flute 1 for example .............does a solo-flute recorded on a silent stage in stereo "sound" stereo?

Or will mono sound just fine?

(I ask as I am deaf on one ear entirely and therefore only hear mono)

thanx,

SvK

• I work with brass and woodwinds batch-converted to mono, works fine. (Don't do that with the ensemble patches, though).

• Same here, it actually helps to create a more well defined placement of the instruments. And it saves memory in the sampler.

• last edited
    last edited

@svonkampen said:

[...] In other words the perf-leg flute 1 for example .............does a solo-flute recorded on a silent stage in stereo "sound" stereo?
    [...]

SvK

All our solo instruments are recorded in stereo, as you will always feel the natural ambience around it. Personally I tend to reduce the stereo-image of solo-instruments a lot (to maybe 20-30% of the original width) when they are ment to sit on a large orchestral stage, but I try to keep as much as possible of the natural "air" when a more intimate, "close" acoustical feeling is what I'm after.

HTH,

/Dietz - Vienna Symphonic Library
  • Indeed you are also collapsing the early reflections from the stage - it's a trade-off and I think Dietz' approach is an optimal one. I went for full mono in order to load 2x as much mono solo instruments in my GigaStudio PC's.