Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

186,776 users have contributed to 42,478 threads and 255,926 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 11 new post(s) and 36 new user(s).

• 16 bit Vienna Instruments ?

It would be great if there was a 16 bit version of each Vienna Instrument which was cheaper than the 24 bit Cube while still retaining the new user interface.

I'm a hobby user who can't afford the Cube as it is, plus, I do not need 24 bit samples - I can do just fine with 16 bit samples, which will also run easier on my humble pc.

I could of course go for Opus 1 etc., but then I would not have the VI user interface which - judging from the videos - looks great.

Any thoughts on this?

Best regards,
    Henrik Jensen

• Never going to happen.

However, with enough interest there may eventually be a VI equivalent of Opus I, but VSL is being tight lipped about this.

DG

• I would be the first to go with that...

• just a few considerations regarding 16 bit:
    - the sample data had to be seperately converted (and partly looped), mapped, encrypted, tested, ...
    - a 16bit vienna instrument player had to be developed (for 3-4 platforms)
    - whereas it is *easy* to create a compressed format for 24bit which needs only 16bit space (what the vienna instruments use) it is almost impossible to do this for 16bit (data has to be stored at byte-borders, 1 byte = 8 bit and reduction to 8 bit would in no case be a lossless compression)
    - i doubt such a product would be purchased by as many users that at least manufacturing of DVDs would be covered ...
    christian

and remember: only a CRAY can run an endless loop in just three seconds.
  • Ok, now I can see why DG is right [:)]

Anyway, thanks for the replies.

• last edited
    last edited

@DG said:

Never going to happen.

However, with enough interest there may eventually be a VI equivalent of Opus I, but VSL is being tight lipped about this.

DG

As an Opus 1 user, I'd upgrade in a heartbeat.

• last edited
    last edited

@DG said:

Never going to happen.

DG

As an Opus 1 user, I'd upgrade in a heartbeat.

Oh yeah...