Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,581 users have contributed to 42,242 threads and 254,853 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 5 new thread(s), 15 new post(s) and 38 new user(s).

• k, will try this and let you know what happened.

M a y a

• Hi Maya -- great that you're looking into this. I've been working with a DP file that has 16 Vienna VIs and 32 Kontakt tracks in 2 instances, and more, so I'm really pushing the memory requirements. Maybe you could try working with a dense project file like this in conjunction with freezing, bouncing to disk, exporting, etc.

As long as I don't bounce or freeze, I'm OK. Thanks to these guys here on the board at least now I can get some work done knowing what to expect if I have to freeze or bounce.

Many thanks,
    Gary

• Perhaps I should have mentioned that I had quite a bit loaded into ram as well. I was crashing quite a bit when I pushed my ram limits but that was solved by going from 4.5 to 6.5 gigs of ram. I'm not aware of any change with the bounce problem by increasing physical ram. But I may be wrong.

I'll do some tests.

• when it happened to me, i wasn't even using my own presets - just the ones that come with VSI. was about 4 instances of different instruments, all just vanished.

can't help but feel it's something to do with it running ouside of DP, and it could well be a RAM issue. I say this, because i wonder if it would be possible for VSI to flash up a warning box if it works out that you haven't got enough free RAM to load up a patch? What's happened a couple of times recently (dual 2.5, 6.5 gigs of RAM and DP 4.61) is that I'll get the beachball of death. When i go to forcequit DP, the VSI window is still up, and i've still got the beachball. so i have to restart computer. (cue 15-minute wait for loading up VSI plug-in and samples again! gonna download that new syncrosoft in a month when these soundtracks are done). It was only when i tried to work out what was going on that i realized it was when i loaded up one too many presetes, and it must have pushed it over the edge. So maybe a warning box would be helpful? Anyway, don't know if this is connected or not [[:|]]

• I'm sure it doesn't matter whether the presets are custom or VSL. I've experienced pretty much the same as you described but I don't think it's ram related but do suspect it has somethng to do with running outside DP.

• Hi Maya -- just checking with you to see if you've had any luck with this problem. I routinely bounce or freeze tracks 2 or 3 times or more each hour, and it's taking forever to reload all the Vienna VI's each time. The only other way to do it is to save the DP file as something else, bounce and let the Viennas disappear, then reopen the original file and import the bounced track. This also takes forever. Can't get any work done. Any news?

Thanks,
    Gary

• Folks,

I am flabbergasted....you are right.

I created an arrangement in DP 5.01 and freezed some Vienna Instrument tracks AND suddenly all settings and samples disappeared from all of my VI instances. I forwarded this information to our developers.

I don´t know yet if this error is connected to VI or DP5. I will keep you informed about any news concerning this bug.

Best,

M a y a

• last edited
    last edited

@Maya said:

I don´t know yet if this error is connected to VI or DP5. I will keep you informed about any news concerning this bug.M a y a

Maya,

I'm running DP 4.6 so it's at least DP related. A combination of DP/VI it seems unless other platforms have reported the same problem. I'm not aware of any other's with the problem except us motu users.

• last edited
    last edited

@garylionelli said:

This is a issue I've been having for months using Vienna Instruments in Digital Performer (versions from 4.61 to 5.01). Occasionally, all the VIs in the DP session file lose their preset assignments. Last night, I had 15 VI tracks in DP, I left the computer for about an hour, came back and all the VI presets were gone. I had been working with the file for days, saving it every 15 minutes on the average. None of the other instruments like Kontakt (in that same session) lost their presets. Their was nothing I could do to get them back other than manually reloading them again.

Thanks,
    Gary

I have the same effect sometimes with VI in the Overture 4 VST-Rack and in the forte rack.
    Sometimes VI looses the presets in some racks.
    And I don't know why.
    I'm not 100% sure, but I think it started after the update with Syncrosoft last version!
    Because I cannot remember, that it happened before.

[:)] Jovan

• Maya -- just got back from vacation and see there's no news on the VI-losing-presets-in-DP-after-bouncing problem. Don't kow how I'll get through this new film without this being fixed. Any progress yet? Many thanks.

Gary

• gary--

Mid-project may not be a good time to update, but I'm finding a lot of oddities with VI's gone in 5.1. It's not as smooth an upgrade process as MOTU says it is, but I got it done and my patches are now showing up with no problem now.

I used to have to save every patch-- even the default patches as custom patches through the AU Interface, but now I only have to do that with custom patches and matrices. Makes a lot more sense than it did before.

I may need to re-read the tread more carefully, but the latest version I saw mentioned (by someone) was 4.6. Forgive me if I've missed something in terms of what version is in question at this time.

• last edited
    last edited

@garylionelli said:

Maya -- just got back from vacation and see there's no news on the VI-losing-presets-in-DP-after-bouncing problem. Don't kow how I'll get through this new film without this being fixed. Any progress yet? Many thanks.

Gary

Hi Gary,

I don´t have any news so far concerning this.

I´ll keep you informed.

Best,

M a y a

• Thanks Maya. JWL–-will give 5.1 a try. Have been holding off because of other plug-in compatibility issues, but if this can even partially solve the VSL VI problem, I'll do it (it's the worst bug by far). Will report back later today. Many thanks for the tip.

Gary

• Well, I booted my DP file in DP 5.1, verified that all my VSL VIs had assigned presets in place. Did a single bounce-to-disk and every VSL VI preset disappeared in all 16 instances–as usual. As I said before, MOTU is not looking to remedy this as I've been told, and it's up to VSL. I sure hope this can be fixed soon, and that VSL is giving this issue some priority.

• I'm flabbergasted at this. There are a few other issues which MOTU has denied for a long time until pressed hard enough that they finally fixed the issues.

If the problem doesn't exist in Logic or other major DAWs, then I assert it is indeed a host issue.

Maya's test using instances of VI only without NI Kontakt appears to eliminate a plugin conflict. 5 instances of VI can hardly be considered as pushing the limits-- and on a Quad, no less.

Gary, I don't want to flog a dead pony, so to speak, but have you tried the Max Work Percent settings or lowering your work priorities to Medium? The only thing I can think of at this point is how DP diverts CPU cycles for its own purposes rather than for the purposes needed to optimize virtual memory paging.

• JWL--yes, I tried all those things last month and no go (but I need my max work percentage higher than medium anyhow). Check your PM.

• last edited
    last edited

@garylionelli said:

JWL--yes, I tried all those things last month and no go (but I need my max work percentage higher than medium anyhow). Check your PM.

Got it. PM returned.

Here's hoping for the best.

• last edited
    last edited

@JWL said:

If the problem doesn't exist in Logic or other major DAWs, then I assert it is indeed a host issue.

As much as I love to Flog Motu - I don't think this problem is on Motu.

If there were at least one other VI that had this issue than maybe that case could be made but since its only VSL VI - how can the Daw be faulted?

Waves had an issue with recalling presets (not losing them) and ultimately waves had to acknowledge (while not fixing) that it was on there end since no other plugins had a similair issue.

To all at VSL - I can't wait for this issue to be resolved as its the only thing holding up my upgrade purchase!

• Ed-- I said what I said because I have had issues with other VIs wonking out in different ways in DP and not in other DAWs. Recently, I had to use Logic to authorize an AU when DP would reject it. Once it passed Logic's AU Exam it worked fine in DP. Also-- one of DP's own VI's had to be manually uninstalled *after* the latest update was done and then reinstalled before it could work. I and others traced this issue to specific DP '.bundle' and '.component' files that were the culprits. It has happened more than once.

At the very least, a fix will have to be the result of a collaborative effort between host and plugin developers.