Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

186,765 users have contributed to 42,477 threads and 255,923 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 14 new post(s) and 38 new user(s).

• 500 GB Hard disk for VI's?

Just wondering if you would need a 500GB drive to install/run the full instrument?

Or would two 250 - 300GB disks be better?

Any info would be great as I'm planning out what I would need to run the full library ----- two computers? ... Too many questions!

An example of a configuration that works would be really appreciated.

Fizzy

• There are several other threads on this. The VSL team recommends two 250 GB hard drives. 300 GB HDs *might* be better since loading up an HD to 80-90% can effective negatively on performance. But dual 250s were recommended.

I'm going for external SATAs at this point.

• I thought with the lossless compression the 550 would turn to 350 gb requirement in size. Isn't that correct?

• last edited
    last edited

@Austin Haynes said:

I thought with the lossless compression the 550 would turn to 350 gb requirement in size. Isn't that correct?

This is what I understand as well, but the two HDs at 250GB each were recommended to further enhance performance and efficiency. Besides the size of the drive and the size of the library itself, there are seek times and other data retrieval behaviors to consider.

It may leave a bit of extra storage space, but there will certainly be more VI samples @ 24-bit to come in the future.

• I don't remember an official VSL recommendation about harddrives... But yes, 2x250GB is better than 2x200GB (also because you don't get 400GB but less in reality - lame labeling convention). The only reason for one 500GB could be that you have less heat in your computer, but then again this is directly related to an decreased (possible) performance.

PolarBear

• I'd also opt for 2 x 250 GB for two more reasons: first, they'd probably be cheaper than one 500 GB one; and second, I could split my drives when I'm getting another computer, and for example use the strings on computer I and have brass & percussion on computer II without having to buy another harddisk.

Regards,
    David
    VSL manuals