Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

186,765 users have contributed to 42,477 threads and 255,923 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 14 new post(s) and 38 new user(s).

• Which Expression Pedal?

I noticed how valuable an expression pedal is for the new VI but I'm not sure what to get. I have a studiologic SL-990XP which has a volume input. I assume that this is the right input for expression no?

I just bought a M-Audio EX-P but found that I can't go from 0 to 127. The best I can get is 0-100 [:(] which isn't quite there. I see that there is a Fatar VP26U which is affordable or the roland EX-5. Any of these good? Any recommendations?

• Hi Austin - Where have you noticed how valuable it will be? In the videos?

How would it be good to have?

Thanks

• Hi Austin,

I bought a Korg EXP-2 expression pedal two months ago. It seems to work fine, but I notice it feels difficult to be very precise to move a pedal with my foot then to move the same controller with the mod wheel. Maybe I still have to get used to it. Of course the advantage of being able to use both hands for playing is very nice.

Gerard

• Hey Christian. One of the video's hints at it but I went to a demonstration where Paul was showing us more on the VI. I noticed that you can control with the mod wheel the articulations while getting the nice Velocity dynamics using the expression pedal. It really looked mighty useful. Supposedly, I read that more video's will be posted so perhaps you'll see more of what I mean.

• So Gerad you were able to go from 0 - 127 on the pedal? I've never had an expression pedal so I'm wondering if pedals are able to do that. I would think so but just checking. It's definitely different using a pedal instead of mod wheel but with the VI it may be very handy to simultaneously use the mod wheel along with the expression pedal so you can get more "performance" [:D].

• Yes Austin, I checked it and it goes all the way to 127.

Very nice if we could combine those two controllers. But both cannot be modulation at the same time, I guess? My foot controller is set to modulation, do you mean another Midi-control?
    Do you know what type of controller Paul used with his foot (as I guess the modulation wheel was used to control modulation)?

Gerard

• wheel was to control articulation I believe and the pedal was used to control "Velocity XF" so you can control the velocity switches of the articulation your on with say, for example, sustain.

• last edited
    last edited

@Austin Haynes said:

I just bought a M-Audio EX-P but found that I can't go from 0 to 127. The best I can get is 0-100 [:(] which isn't quite there. I see that there is a Fatar VP26U which is affordable or the roland EX-5. Any of these good? Any recommendations?

Doesn't StudioLogic make a pedal for your keyboard? That would probably be the best bet. You'd get the resistance and pot taper that your keyboard was designed to use.

I've had the same problem in the past with pedals not designed for a given keyboard. You might luck out and get something that works, but then you might not. You might also get something that goes 0-127, but does not distribute the rate of change effectively over the entire travel of the pedal.

Some hardware can be recalibrated with a software function to match a given pedal. Check to see if that's available on your unit.

If you're using Logic Pro as your sequencer, you might also be able to tweak the control pedal data in Logic's environment, so you can go all the way up to 127.

Lee Blaske

• Thanks Lee for your response. I use SX 3 so I'm not sure if there is something that is similar to logic? I just got a Fatar Volume Pedal which hopefully will work right. I'm going to try it out tonight. Thanks for the input [:D].