Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

186,776 users have contributed to 42,478 threads and 255,926 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 11 new post(s) and 36 new user(s).

• Tempo Control - Viennadyne

Are you planning on integrating somekind of tempo control for runs, and similar? A kind of melodyne like tool working under the hood?

• last edited
    last edited

@Christian Marcussen said:

Are you planning on integrating somekind of tempo control for runs, and similar? A kind of melodyne like tool working under the hood?

I certainly would be VERY interested in that. From what I understand controlling tempo of runs is possible with the higher version of melodyne, although I haven't tested it...but it's not $cheap$....

• It is possible. But now that the VI will be a closed system we are kind of dependant on VSL providing such solutions. I think it would be a natural update for the next version of the engine.

• last edited
    last edited

@Christian Marcussen said:

It is possible.

But what I really meant is if the result is credible enough musically speaking. A few BPM +- is OK, but beyond that my ears finds it disturbing.... But if VI would include it, I'm sure they would have the appropriate refinements. But we are talking about the same thing... [[;)]]

• maybe they could use the Logic - Apple Loop engine inside the mac [[:|]]

• Not having it availible in realtime could be a start... but a few BPM+/- sometimes do a great difference in terms of matching starting/end points of a run with the rest of the composition. Maybe a system that generates a temporary mixdown of the desired run speed and is then triggered by the note for the usual run could be implemented (once the basics of tempo control are done of course).

• last edited
    last edited

@Laurent said:

maybe they could use the Logic - Apple Loop engine inside the mac [[:|]]

Well, Melodyne 3 is way ahead of any other time/pitch software. The new polyphonic capability is really good, quite usable.

The Apple Loop engine is good for what it does but it wouldn't stand scrutiny within an orchestral arrangement of VSL sound quality. But there is a melodyne demo available, so maybe it's worth comparing for yourself.

Prosoniq's Time Factory (for PC only) is also good I believe.

But Celemony have been licensing their technology (to Ueberschall, for instance), so, never say never I suppose.

Nigel

• Why would VSL need to integrate this? This is what a sequencer is for...to integrate different effects. You can use the VI as a plugin to the sequencer and also Melodyne or whatever as a plugin. Use them together to achieve whatever you want.

Same comment for Apple loops. You want an apple lopp, then freeze a track and create one in your sequencer.

• Why buy the VI which intergrates every articulation of an instrument onto one track? Because its easier - it helps our workflow. Many things the VI does for us is to make our life easier... the music you can do with the VI is not much different from what could be acheived with the regular Pro Ed if you were willing to spend enough time on it.

Same with such a function - why integrate it? To make a superior and playable product to its users. To avoid messing around with Melodyne - not to mention buying it.

• Well, maybe the VSL engineers already came up with something, but VSL is waiting for the right time to release it...with an upgrade $$ hehehe.... [H]

Seriously, one way or another I do expect to need that software, so Melodyne 3 would be my only choice, but I hope Herb will chime in here.... [:)]

• Well - if they had it developed they would have thrown it into the first version of the VI. But thats not to say they dont have it planned - I guess that leads us back to the original question. Are you planning something like this?

• Herb,

(in rhythm)

We ----want----tempo-control!

Now repeat 8.5 BPM faster without changing pitch.

[:D]

• Well,

quite some time ago I think (as I remind) that somebody from VSL mentioned here, in a thread, that they are quite conscious of what is happing in Munich (not too far away from Vienna anyways). So I thought that they might develop a VI together with celemony - which they did not do, as it looks like.

But well, such an update would be cool - because yes, Melodyne get often called when working with VSL - and that is a great step backwards not having the samples available anymore.

best