Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

183,219 users have contributed to 42,284 threads and 255,018 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 4 new thread(s), 18 new post(s) and 50 new user(s).

• last edited
    last edited

@DG said:

You could always use a volume pedal or breath controller [[:|]]

Tried that... but I am not that good at coordinating my hands/feet/mouth (!)...

Hehe, or else I might be a drummer or something else already instead of a composer! [:D]

Cheers,
    Frankie

• last edited
    last edited

@DG said:

Yes, you should be using the repeat patch anyway, as you don't really want a start note.

DG

Well now I guess I should have read the manual [:O]ops: as I never knew that existed. Sure enough this totally changed everything. Here is the line but this time I played it with the KS for repeated note.
    Chris

http://www.dragonwind.org/Files/music/opus1_vi_legato2.mp3

• Hi,

I'm wondering about the legato discussion. Is there a special way to handle the violins in comparison to the woodwind legato?

Regards

• My Pro Edition arrived a few days ago. So I was checking the legato patches and realized the VI-14_perf-leg_f in Opus 1 is NOT really the standard legato patch but the sul patch (on the same string) in the Pro Edition.

Man, now that really explains why all the timbre differences in Opus 1 forte legato violins we have been discussing.

I tried using the standard forte legato violins of Pro Edition, and it worked as beautifully as what Daryl showed me.

Perhaps VSL should take a look into this? Since the manual of Opus 1 (both PDF and printed versions) didn't state clearly the forte violin legato instrument is a "sul" one.

Cheers,
    Frankie

• I have been watching this thread with some interest because I also have Opus 1 (and Solo Strings). Is there any consensus as to how to make the strings sound their best? Thx, OJ [[;)]]

• Herb,
    Your violin ensemble piece is very good indeed. Could I achieve the same results with Opus 1? Your piece is for solo violin layered with a 14-Violin ensemble. Could you go into a little more detail about this?
    I also listened to the pieces by Beat Kaufmann for solo violin and cello + your pieces for viola, cello and bass ensembles - all terrific examples of what can be done with VSL strings.
    Can one get the stacatto and trills with layering and keyswitching? Again, a little more detail about how to achieve such an outstanding effect would be much appreciated. Thanks so much, Orijames [[;)]]

• last edited
    last edited

@Frankie Ho said:

My Pro Edition arrived a few days ago. So I was checking the legato patches and realized the VI-14_perf-leg_f in Opus 1 is NOT really the standard legato patch but the sul patch (on the same string) in the Pro Edition.

Man, now that really explains why all the timbre differences in Opus 1 forte legato violins we have been discussing.

I tried using the standard forte legato violins of Pro Edition, and it worked as beautifully as what Daryl showed me.

Perhaps VSL should take a look into this? Since the manual of Opus 1 (both PDF and printed versions) didn't state clearly the forte violin legato instrument is a "sul" one.

Cheers,
    Frankie

What is the official reply on this issue? Will there be updates for Opus 1 users?

• Actually it's not only the violin, as far as I have tried, the viola and cello forte legato patches are the "sul" instruments from the Pro Edition too, instead of the normal "forte" patch.

I do think, IMHO, the Opus strings should contain the "forte" legato instruments instead though.

Thanks so much! [[;)]]

Cheers,
    Frankie

• The Opus 1 patches are identical with the First edition piano, forte and portamento patches. For the Pro Edition we've produced a new forte legato, therefore we've changed there the namings.
    We've chosen the original forte performance legato patch from the First Edition for Opus 1, because the majority of our testers and users prefered that version, and my intention was to offer the most wanted patches for Opus 1.

best
    Herb

• Hi herb,

Oh I see. So the "VI-14_perf-leg_f-sul" was actually the first forte legato instrument created with First Edition, instead of the "VI-14_perf-leg_f", which was a later addition to the Pro Edition? (despite all the namings anyway)

Sorry about my rant then. [:P]

But I think it would be nice to state this in the Opus manual so users will be aware of this too. I did get disappointed with the Opus forte legato strings back when I got them because of all those timbre inconsistencies. I would have accepted the beauty of it instead of bashing it if I knew they are meant to sound, and use, like that, right in the beginning! I mean I can write a very charming and expressive sul-G melody with this patch, but if I am looking for normal legato, I was so disappointed!

Just let the users aware of it, the library and samples are excellent, nothing wrong with them. Please don't get me wrong! I wouldn't have bought the Pro Edition if I really found it problematic and annoying hehe! [H]

Cheers,
    Frankie

• Frankie and Herb,

Thanks for the clarification. Good to know. Now to find some drive space....

Best,

Greg