Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

186,765 users have contributed to 42,477 threads and 255,923 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 14 new post(s) and 38 new user(s).

• Largest individual volume size

I've looked in the SC info area, and see that currently the largest size for any one volume is about 82GB (solo strings) which seems to rule out a 10,000rpm HD.
    Any approximate idea what the largest volume will be?
    I ask this in reference to HD planning. (with a view to considering 7,200 or 10,000 rpm options. Haven't found a 15,000 rpm HD reference anywhere on the web)

Regards,

Alex.

• The solo strings is the largest collection. 88 GB is the uncompressed datasize, so the solostring will need ca 56 GB on your harddisc.

best
    Herb

• Thanks Herb.
    Gives a good idea of planning. And just maybe a set of 10,000rpm HD's might be useful after all.
    (Still wondering about a server.)

Regards,

Alex.

• Seeing that 7200rpm drives are delevering 256 Kontakt or GS voices, I doubt there is need for 10.000rpm drives when each instance of a VSTi or the standalone VI has 64 voices maximum to deliver. 15.000rpm would mean you'd have to go SCSI, and here also larger capacities are availible (at a hefty price tag).

Just a thought,
    PolarBear

• Polar,
    Thanks for the tip. When the time comes it may make a difference.

As an aside, I've just followed another thread and had a listen to the demo you posted called 'Man in a million.'
    Nice job. Agree with some of the cooments about brass being half and half, but not to a drastic degree.

Regards,

Alex.