Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

189,684 users have contributed to 42,667 threads and 256,811 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 0 new thread(s), 5 new post(s) and 50 new user(s).

• What ever Herb will come up with will sound great, and I'll be more that happy to have that Epic Strings as part of my library.

But the way I see it, the ONLY WAY, we will ever get totall satifaction on this issue is the day some of the more important expression features such as vibrato will work hand in hand with the software, similar to "Universal Mode".

Herb,

I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on this. But don't worry, I don't expect an invitation to Vienna! [:O]

• last edited
    last edited

@William said:

Don't assume what I have done or what I know.

I am tired of this arrogant attitude. Did I insult you? then why do you insult me?

I am sick of this shit.

William, no need to be defensive. When a person says it's very difficult to get a good string sound, I have to assume they haven't done it much. If that's not what you were saying, I apologize for offending you.

I haven't been to a movie yet where I felt like they were unable to get a "great string sound" [;)]

TH

• The stuff produced in this three days will be a freebee for our Pro's, as announced.
    If we see this production is promising, there is of course the option to expand this to a bigger, official VI product.

best
    Herb

• One also has to wonder just how much will always be lacking in any sample library since they players are playing static notes.

There must be some indescribable, unrecordable, aspect of playing a full line vs. sampling one note at a time that keeps this whole thing elusive.

I imagine it's very difficult for the players to achieve any emotion during a sampling session!

TH

• last edited
    last edited

@herb said:

The stuff produced in this three days will be a freebee for our Pro's, as announced.
    If we see this production is promising, there is of course the option to expand this to a bigger, official VI product.

best
    Herb

So what you're saying here Herb is that the 3 day session cycle is sort of an experimental foray - and if this works out well, we could be talking fairly extensive Epic String library to be forthcoming?

• I was wondering if it would make sense to record this large section playing (f-ff) espressivo in octaves. Often you hear oktavized melodic lines in the violins when you talk about "that" epic sound. I have a hunch it would work much better if recorded in one sample, instead of just layering the samples we have at hand now..

Oh, and how about taking a trip into the center and do the recording in Konzerthaus?? [:D]

• Yes, octaves would be important. Although personally I might prefer to play the part in octaves myself using both hands. Having recorded octaves is very handy, I admit, but also limits the dynamics range between the 2 notes. Example, if in your octave melody you happen to repeat a note 5 times, the dynamic range between both notes will be the same for every note you play and that kills expression. But I also understand not everybody is a pianist...

• last edited
    last edited

@Nicklas said:

[...] Oh, and how about taking a trip into the center and do the recording in Konzerthaus?? [:D]

Don't worry, _this_ is the easier part. We have already recorded all the famous halls of the Vienna Konzerthaus for the MIR, in about every aspect you can think about - epic as well as pathetic [+o(]

/Dietz - Vienna Symphonic Library
  • last edited
    last edited

@Dietz said:

[...] epic as well as pathetic [+o(]

The pathetic would be for Pathos i presume.
    As a humorous aside Dietz, will this 'apethetic' articulation be available for the extended Cube library in the future?

Regards to you all,

Alex!

[H]

• last edited
    last edited

@Dietz said:

... as well as pathetic [+o(]

Ooh. I hadn't thought of "pathetic strings" before now. Of course! A stroke of genius ... very meek, tinny, somewhat out of tune, bad sounding strings ... but incredibly realistic, in a fifth-rate community orchestra sort of way.

Just the thing for that "student recital" cue, perhaps. No more need to hire bad violinists. Ah, the possibilities!

- Paul Smith

• Nice idea, Paul, but I was referring more to the possibilty to use instruments at non-conventional, strange-sounding positions of the MIR-sampled halls, too, like standing outside the stage-door .... [;)]

• Funny this should come up. I've had this idea for a long time...seriously...to do a 'School Orchestra' sample library, for those very moments - they come up more often than you think don't they?

Probably won't need 500GB though! [:)]

Colin

• last edited
    last edited

@cwillsher said:

Funny this should come up. I've had this idea for a long time...seriously...to do a 'School Orchestra' sample library, for those very moments - they come up more often than you think don't they?

Probably won't need 500GB though! [:)]

Colin

Nah, I can do that without samples, and without trying. It's the pro orchestra sound that I have trouble with.

DG

• Dietz,

Have you killed this thread?[:P]

• Hopefully not! [H]

• "Just for info:

to produce a performance interval instrument with one dynamic layer would take the major part of the six sessions. some small add ons are possible.
    It's not possible to produce two performance intervall sets in this time.

We have to decide: focus on this performance thing, or more variations of "standard" samples

best
    Herb"

This is a lovely offer...

I think Jay hit it on the head with extend it to include 2 dynamics with per-legato. It would also be nice to get a set of staccs to go with them.

That said I have never seen a large string ensemble sampled well. Most often in samples, the larger the section, the more synthy it becomes. Large sections of course can be fantastic recorded live, but so far the larger sections sampled (EW, KH) do not work well. Jay also pointed out doing a test session. I realize it would be another expense but far better than spending 3 days recording and coming out with what seemed to be great recordings, but not great samples.

My 2 cents

• I agree with that - the larger section does not necessarily translate into larger sound in a mix. You stop hearing individual players within sections (which helps with an impression of size) and the sound becomes more homogenous. It can actually sound smaller because all those players are being crammed into one patch. In general, layering accomplishes far more size in a mix than using one monolithically huge section.

It's not that I'm against a larger section, but just that it's far more crucial to do the recording of the missing legato articulations.

• last edited
    last edited

@Dietz said:

Nice idea, Paul, but I was referring more to the possibilty to use instruments at non-conventional, strange-sounding positions of the MIR-sampled halls, too, like standing outside the stage-door .... [;)]

Dietz, there are tons of IR reverbs that can do that, please don't spend 3 days recording a string orchestra from a bathroom !!
    [*-)]

• last edited
    last edited

@Laurent said:

...please don't spend 3 days recording a string orchestra from a bathroom !!
    [*-)]

[[[:D]]] [[[:D]]] [[[:D]]]

• [Uhm - things become a little bit weird now, so I will just emphasize that we neither sample strings in a bathroom nor the reverb of the latter, and rest my case.] [*-)]