Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

185,527 users have contributed to 42,395 threads and 255,525 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 0 new thread(s), 12 new post(s) and 44 new user(s).

• Well what it will be doing is interperting your notation. You will enter notes dynamics articulations tempi etc. We talked about this a long time ago and I am sure it's what they are going to be introducing with the new samples and mir [;)]

• Hmm..........
    Some wonderful, intelligent, and highly entertaining specuiation in these 20+ pages.

I once heard a woman say
    'men are really boys, and they always will be.'

And right now, us lads and tomboys have our noses pressed against the glass of the VSL shop window, chattering away, exaggerating and speculating, eager to get a glimpse of that next 'rolls royce' or 'fast motor bike' or some other form of shiny kit.
    (Me, Paul 'Spartacus' Robbins, and Bill 'Slugger' Kersten will be lounging round the corner smoking Dave 'Bluebeard' Connor's cigarettes, and pretending we're above that kid's stuff)
    God only knows the window cleaner will have a deal of work in front of him wiping the drool, and remains of many excitedly half chewed chocolate bars off the glass when the moment finally arrives!

I would be amazed if the software developers from many companies haven't read many of these posts and taken many notes from the ideas and concepts postured here merely to kill time.
    If they haven't then they will most certainly get left behind.

Regards to you all, and as i understand it, here in Moscow I'm two hours ahead of Vienna time, so i'll only have one day of waiting left, when most of you will still have two.
    Seems fair somehow!

Alex.

[H]

• last edited
    last edited

@Plowman said:

I understand. I presently can't conceive of intelligence so powerful, it can interpret MIDI live and access any one of the numberless VSL arts, then *load* them, then play them back without latency, even if it is only one note and not the entire map. I'd think at least the head of the sample would need to be in RAM still.

That would really be the holy grail of large scale sampling though - eliminate the need for any and all RAM loading, and suddenly you can run as many samples as your hard drives can hold. Just imagine - the whole of the Cube (plus whatever else you care to throw in!) from a single computer... no more network glitches... the roaring fans of a hundred computers... and the chaotic software setups to keep those multisystem patch arrangements at least semi-coherent....

I don't know if this is possible now, but I do not doubt that it can be done. Pure disc streaming is what we are really waiting for.

• Yes, Plowman... it's the "without latency" that's not likely to happen. The problem, of course, is that you can't know how long a note is until it's finished, so any samples that rely on duration info -- stac, portato, etc -- need at least _some_ indication of the duration to make a good selection. I was making the comparison to Synful, which has a 1-second delay. I've used this same approach in my program, except I've made it somewhat flexible -- you can have zero delay (or almost zero, given 15 ms, or so, to buffer the sample), but you lose the ability to auto-select stac, port, etc., or you can wind it out to 4-seconds and get more accurate selections for longer notes. You still get legato, though, with the zero delay setting, since in that case the deciding factor actually happens in "real time" (i.e., the overlap of notes).

Now, the big difference with VSL's software will come if it is, in fact, a sequencer. If it is, then it will be able to "look ahead" -- through the entire score, if necessary -- and make all sorts of brilliant decisions. It still wouldn't have to buffer all those decisions, since it could safely buffer just a few notes ahead. This is the sort of option that little hacks like me just don't have when trying to work with existing sequencers -- we can't look ahead, so we have to introduce the "analysis delay". A necessary evil, I suppose.

At any rate, I'm looking forward to the "1 day" page loading later today. Though the hinting seems to be dminishing... nasty tactic -- even MORE suspense!!

J.

• last edited
    last edited

@Another User said:

JC5

Pure disc streaming is what we are really waiting for.

And this is why some time ago, i asked about the possibility of running a fast server, with optical connections to the DAW box.

dual G5 with Xraid anyone?

Regards,

Alex.

• ...hey, wait a second! It just occured to me that some amongst us must, most certainly, have been beta testers for this release! NDA, my ass!!! Give us your secrets!!
    (I bet it's those old guys... you're not silent because you're not excited, but rather because you _already_ know!!! Dogs!)

J. [;)]

• last edited
    last edited

@hermitage59 said:

(Me, Paul 'Spartacus' Robbins, and Bill 'Slugger' Kersten will be lounging round the corner smoking Dave 'Bluebeard' Connor's cigarettes, and pretending we're above that kid's stuff)

Well, I'm trying to quit smoking but at least not for

1 DAY

• "It's so close now you can almost smell it!" -Christian Marcussen

Yes I love the smell of freshly burned data dvds and newly printed manuals in the morning! Ahh!

• God i want it.

• 24 hours!

Can almost taste it! [:)]

• wow.. capitalism is expensive!

but God i want it...

• 1 DAY GUYS!!! We've all been I want I want about the Cube. I just hope we all are aware with what we actually do have and I'm not talking necessarily about products....Time likes Thanksgiving remind me that there is more to be focused than the next fix of our desires. Being with people is more important than a product. It's coming very soon so let's just sit back and enjoy one another. I've been distracted by the countdown that I can barely think [:P] about other things....During Thanksgiving I want to be more aware of how people are doing and making it a wonderful event of having family and friends together. [[:D]] There is more to life than a product (though it's quite a mighty one with all this hype) and we should all remember that...My 2 cents for me and you guys.
    If you haven't had your Thanksgiving yet like me I hope that it's a wonderful experience by being with your family and friends..and of course that the food is a splendid delight [[:D]]!

Oh BTW, 1 more day........I hope it lives "close" to our expectations so we can create even more beautiful music!

• agreed! even if it *is* the bagpipes...

• 1 day, no new info.

I'm more relaxed about it now, was more excited at the start of the countdown, bored now, it's taken too long. Though every time I look at the flash page, the floating squares seem to hypnotize me... Hmmm, is this a ploy? [:D]

• Indeed I'm more relaxed but perhaps that's because I'm listening to "classical" music as I'm typing.......perhaps a temporary peace? lol [:D] . We'll see which "way" it's going to go after the hype is over and we see the unveiling of the product tomorrow.

• Yeah I'm bored, too ... and hungry, mid you that's because I've been fasting for nearly two weeks now....

... it just seemed like the right thing to do. [:|]

I hope they have a decent QT movie up on Sat. to demo it.

that's all I have to say..... must lie down and conserve strength....

• Thank God tomorrow isn't April fool's day!! [*-)]

• last edited
    last edited

@Guy said:

Thank God tomorrow isn't April fool's day!! [*-)]
    [:D] [:D] [:D] [:D] [:D] [:D] [:D] [:D]

Now, THAT'S the zinger. Way too funny.

Problem is, Friday is the most maniacal shopping day in the US. I live north of LA and dread the thought of driving into town just to get a first glimpse of this mysterious wonder.

I still can't figure out if 1 day means that Friday is the last day of waiting or the first day of release.... Will we see a teaser that says "0 More Days"?

I'm just hoping that getting the new Cube bears no resemblance to trying to get an X-Box 360!!

• Just saw "The Polar Express" yesterday, twice!! I hope the elves are busy packing a goody surprise for me! I think there's place in that huge bag of Santa!

• Such an invigorating, LOL chat in these twenty plus pages, I hate to see it end. Hey VSL, how about another fourteen days?