Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

185,381 users have contributed to 42,392 threads and 255,499 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 1 new thread(s), 11 new post(s) and 65 new user(s).

• last edited
    last edited

@Another User said:

Anothe Balvenie fan, eh? That's my absolute favourite. Now if they could only marry that drop of elixir with the VSL samples: 'twould indeed be bliss...

Yeah - big fan. It's OK - you don't have to mention VSL samples if you want to talk about Balvenie whiskey - they'll understand. [:P] They'e busy at the moment. Good 'ere innit?

Are you allowed to drink Balvenie in the north of England btw? Gosh - you lads have really progressed. I'll go to the foot of our stairs with Sir Tom Finney.

• Hmmm...Whisky.
    Not my cup of tea, although my ancestors most certainly would have bathed in the stuff.
    For me, more basic needs.
    An old fashioned upright armchair, an analog stereo with Beethoven serenely whispering his genius into the room redolent with the aroma of Louis XiV cognac and the smooth texture of a panantella cigar.

Regards,

Alex.

• 25600? [*-)]:

• yes.... you can do 25600 different pieces of music with that lib [;)]

• 14 days until what?

Until the Symphonic Cube, for sure.

The link on the Japanese site has gone now.

Heh, heh, they've been rumbled.

• last edited
    last edited

@irvind said:

14 days until what?

Is THIS the link you're refering to? It's still there, and has been around for many months, maybe even a year or more.

Or did I miss something else? [*-)]

• last edited
    last edited

@irvind said:

14 days until what?

Is THIS the link you're refering to? It's still there, and has been around for many months, maybe even a year or more.

Or did I miss something else? [*-)]

You're right, that link still exists, but not if you click through the main vsl.co.at page which worked the other day..

I need more sleep.

• last edited
    last edited

@janila said:

25600? [*-)]:

Number of programs/patches ?

• last edited
    last edited

@janila said:

25600? [*-)]:

Number of programs/patches ?

I guess it's the final price (Jacuzzi whirlpool included).

• last edited
    last edited

@Plowman said:

[...] As Synful's technology is well known to VSL, no doubt Garritan's method is too. [...]

Just to avoid any misunderstandings: I was talking about the musical needs that we want to adress since Day One, not about a match in technology. We have no intention to make anyone's ideas look like ours (or vice versa).

/Dietz - Vienna Symphonic Library
  • last edited
    last edited

@paynterr said:

Very well put...

I too have been arguing recently over at the Halion forum, the need to move away from real-time live playing... I think the current integration of VSL into DAWs is pretty horrible IMHO. I have both the pro-edition and the performance tool. Despite my outlay of cash for the latter, I find the integration of the Performance Tool such a pain in the bum that I don't bother with it. I just run my projects on a single machine and like it kept that way.

I do hope that this announcement is something truly revolutionary, rather than just more of the same.

More samples, added together with more CPU and harder integration would not make me upgrade... especially since I haven't bothered with the performance tool.

What I would like to see is less emphasis on the sampler and real-time playing and instead, a new SINGLE cross-platform VSL VSTi that acts rather like Synful does in that it buffers up the midi, looks ahead at what is being played and selects and plays the appropriate samples from a large database.

To do this, it shouldn't even have to pre-load any of the samples into memory... and should therefore be able to load into the DAW immediately. Instead, it merely acts as an intelligent file-indexing service that maps midi for a given instrument to the relevant samples, handling legato, repetition, stacatto etc. along the way intelligently.

This would be partly what the performance tool does at the moment, but with far easier integration into the DAW (e.g. no separate application, just a VSTi plug-in) and the buggering off (tm) of the performance tool as a stand alone tool... plus all the virtual/real midi routing that goes along with it.

I spoke to someone recently who has been developing such a tool (unofficially) for VSL... a sample selection tool.

Presumably this new VSL VSTi (VSLi???) would then be the foundation block for what would become MIR?

MIR would be the addition of reverb and spacial placing of the instruments based on instrument selection...

I think we need to move away from thinking about "samplers"... and about thinking about providing VSTi instruments that - in effect - behave as a set of real professional musicians would behave when placed in front of you.

They don't need micro-managing... they just need to be told how fast, how loud, what articulation to play... they work out the rest based on their 30 years of playing expertise. You then spend time working out what it is you want them to play. That is the interface between composer and player.

So - this is what I am hoping it is... I don't get at all turned on by yet more gigabytes of samples that I won't end up using as setting up in-memory templates is such a pain... If, however, I can use more of these samples, in-passing, without perhaps even realising it and without needing to load them into memory, that, for me would be a DEFINITE reason to spend a lot more money.

here's hoping....

This is the kind of thing I'm hoping for in VSL's future. I recently purchased the VSL Pro edition and have had to move from VSTi samplers such as HALion/Kontakt to Gigastudio, which I've found to be frustratingly restrictive. I really miss the ability to mix down my audio at faster-than-real time, I miss my performance sets being saved in my sequencer, I miss my audio being output directly into my sequencer through VST channels and I miss the reliability and accuracy of audio that is buffered similar to how Kontakt/HALion work rather than live. If it wasn't such a huge library, I'd have begun converting to a VSTi sampler. I wish VSL came as a stand alone VSTi (built-in-performance tool included) so that I don't have to rely on an external sampler, figure out MIDI routing or have to worry about which sampler I should buy it for.

I understand that most of my minor issues are down to the sampler software itself, rather than VSL. Here's hoping the Symphonic Cube comes in Kontakt/HALion format. At least that will be closer to how I'd like to use VSL.

• last edited
    last edited

@dummy said:

This is the kind of thing I'm hoping for in VSL's future. I recently purchased the VSL Pro edition and have had to move from VSTi samplers such as HALion/Kontakt to Gigastudio, which I've found to be frustratingly restrictive. I really miss the ability to mix down my audio at faster-than-real time, I miss my performance sets being saved in my sequencer, I miss my audio being output directly into my sequencer through VST channels and I miss the reliability and accuracy of audio that is buffered similar to how Kontakt/HALion work rather than live. If it wasn't such a huge library, I'd have begun converting to a VSTi sampler. I wish VSL came as a stand alone VSTi (built-in-performance tool included) so that I don't have to rely on an external sampler, figure out MIDI routing or have to worry about which sampler I should buy it for.

I understand that most of my minor issues are down to the sampler software itself, rather than VSL. Here's hoping the Symphonic Cube comes in Kontakt/HALion format. At least that will be closer to how I'd like to use VSL.

I run all my VSL samples in Halion3 under SX3... I use the excellent built in giga->halion converter which has been working like a dream for several years... all my libraries (well most) are in native GS. I don't touch gigastudio... used to own gigasampler a few years ago but hated the lack of integration... some of us have very simple, yet effective, single PC, integrated solutions that don't neatly fit in with GS. GS seems to assume that you have some sprawling old-style studio with external mixing desks and wires. I just have a single PC and audio card... I don't want to have to run my work out to slave machines when it runs quite happily live on a single PC. Especially since Halion now has 0.1 second's pre-load... I am trying to persuade them to lower that to 0.0 second pre-load and just pull samples from disk with additional latency (since I notate rather than play live). That would mean I would be able to have the ENTIRE VSL library loaded (in effect).

It doesn't however, make using VSL any easier... I still have the performance tool issues to contend with.

Hence my suggestion above...

• last edited
    last edited

@Plowman said:

[...] As Synful's technology is well known to VSL, no doubt Garritan's method is too. [...]

Just to avoid any misunderstandings: I was talking about the musical needs that we want to adress since Day One, not about a match in technology. We have no intention to make anyone's ideas look like ours (or vice versa).

Cool, in Dietz' efforts to tell us VSL is NOT copying technology he has in a round about way 'tipped his hand' to us. I say now the performance tool will have a major 'facelift' with this release in a week and a half. And I am sure it will be up to VSL 'high standards'!!!!

Can't wait to 'hear' the changes with the upgraded Perf tool and new samples (ala sample count).

Rob

• I've already collected 7 people that will advance me $ for my next 10 birthdays!

• If you're right, and it IS a new "intelligent" performance tool, I hope that it will be:

a) sold separately (or even made available free of charge to customers), and

b) perfectly compatible with the Pro Edition

Wouldn't that be nice!

• I think VSL team should reveal this right now. What if tomorrow the world comes to an end or we are invaded by UFO's? This will really be a bummer for VSL.

• Guy,
    You really need to come back to reality.

If the world ends tomorrow it won't matter, and if we're invaded by UFO's they'll have to wait in the queue and pay in Euros like everyone else.

Regards,

Alex.

[H]

• last edited
    last edited

@hermitage59 said:

You really need to come back to reality.

If the world ends tomorrow it won't matter, and if we're invaded by UFO's they'll have to wait in the queue and pay in Euros like everyone else...
    [H]

Quite...

• last edited
    last edited

@paulhenrysmith said:

a) sold separately (or even made available free of charge to customers)

i'd just like to point out the performance tool has been always free of charge to customers (who we preferre to call users, btw)
    christian

and remember: only a CRAY can run an endless loop in just three seconds.
  • hello everyone!

I think the words in the flash movie have been taken from this advertisment.

Do you find your vienna dvds and boxes are always in the way? Is studio space at a premium where you work. Do you sometimes wish there was a better way to store your vienna purchases? Perhaps you live with someone who uses vienna and you wish he didn't leave those dvds just lying around on the floor for you to trip up on! Oh no!

Well, here at vsl laboratories we know how you feel - and so that's why we've developed the complete vsl STACKING system to solve all your vienna physical media storage problems. That's right! IT"S NOT A DREAM! And you could have it in your studio! Worried you won't be able to wall mount it? - well don't because it's EASY! it comes in various sizes to hold opus1 all the way up to pro edition and it's modular so you can add VIP UPGRADES when you need to!

Available in stores in 10 DAYS, just in time for xmas! So buy the all new vsl STACKING system the perfect xmas gift.

[:D]