Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,720 users have contributed to 42,254 threads and 254,894 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 1 new thread(s), 6 new post(s) and 43 new user(s).

• last edited
    last edited

@hetoreyn said:

Okay, thanks all.

I expected to get an earful from everyone... usually happens when I give my opinion.... but as you say I've misunderstood CM's earlier post, reading into it that only PC's would have MIR.

I'm still hoping that MIR will be available for my mac, and certainly be usable in logic. I have a PC but I'm unsure about how I could use the MIR on that whilst interfacing that with the Mac. After all... I can only run the CSL in logic. I guess we'll have to wait until MIR comes out and see just how it works. I understand the serious amount of CPU cycles that it will take up, but if things can be done offline then it's not really an issue.

Well again thanks for not blasting my ear off, and cheers for the clarification.

Hetoreyn

I think that what is being said is that MIR will not be a plugin for either Mac or PC, but a standalone unit. I hope that VSL will step in here and correct me if I'm wrong. However, if I'm correct, it makes no difference to you what the operating system is; remember those AKAI samplers were all PC (after a fashion), yet I know of many Mac users who were none the wiser [H]

DG

• Think of the MIR as a new form of mixing console. It will _not_ be your next "reverb plugin", so the OS-discussion is futile. And yes, you will want to use a dedicated computer for this engine [;)] ... sorry, Thierry, but in your scenario you will need to use AltiVerb.

HTH,

/Dietz - Vienna Symphonic Library
  • last edited
    last edited

@Dietz said:

Think of the MIR as a new form of mixing console. It will _not_ be your next "reverb plugin", so the OS-discussion is futile. And yes, you will want to use a dedicated computer for this engine [;)] ... sorry, Thierry, but in your scenario you will need to use AltiVerb.

HTH,

So Dietz

Like Alex, who made some good questions for the technically challenged like me - if you're running a Mac with say Logic, presumably you can link a stand alone PC to this easily to make MIR work? Is this right?
    And will MIR be really for orchestral work only - or like Altiverb, be usable for any sound application, ie is it really a dedicated reverb for VSL samples only?

Is there going to be a ram issue with this because it's a PC platform?

Please elucidate. [:D]

• last edited
    last edited

@PaulR said:

So Dietz

Like Alex, who made some good questions for the technically challenged like me - if you're running a Mac with say Logic, presumably you can link a stand alone PC to this easily to make MIR work? Is this right?
    And will MIR be really for orchestral work only - or like Altiverb, be usable for any sound application, ie is it really a dedicated reverb for VSL samples only?

Is there going to be a ram issue with this because it's a PC platform?

Please elucidate. [:D]

I'll try to elucidate ;-D

Yes, your assumption is right that you should be able to link from Logic to the MIR-engine, for example. This is one of our main issues at the moment.

I can't say if the MIR is "only" for orchestral work - but yes, it is meant to be used to its full extent with our samples only, as they will be "known" by the MIR: its engine will be able to choose the proper (and unique) settings to process them. This is especially important for positioning-cues and the directivity of the instruments themselves, as well as other, more sophisticated sonic aspects.

Of course, you will be able to feed _any_ signal into the MIR to a certain amount, but it's obvious that in this case the MIR will react more or less like an "ordinary", first-class convolution reverb (although still with more elaborated positioning options) and audio-mixer.

... please understand that I can't (and won't) give you a preliminary manual, so to speak. Later this year many related questions will be answered, and the concept will be much clearer then. Thank you.

• Please excuse my ignorance: if I purchase, say, Opus 1 & 2, will they still be viable with the release of the MIR engine or will they, in fact, be redundant?

• last edited
    last edited

@jamriding said:

Please excuse my ignorance: if I purchase, say, Opus 1 & 2, will they still be viable with the release of the MIR engine or will they, in fact, be redundant?

Based on the contents of this thread they of course will be perfectly viable if my understanding is correct.

MIR will have to be a stand alone application in a seperate computer and will not effect composition and sample use as I see it.

• last edited
    last edited

@PaulR said:

[...] MIR will have to be a stand alone application in a seperate computer and will not effect composition and sample use as I see it.

That's it, in a nutshell.

• last edited
    last edited

@PaulR said:

[...] MIR will have to be a stand alone application in a seperate computer and will not effect composition and sample use as I see it.

That's it, in a nutshell.

Goodness Deitz - did I finally get something technical right?

I feel really proud now.

[:D]

• Although i do like Mac as a program to use, and i don't miss the Blue screen suicide, i can see the practical sense in PC first, given the ease in today's world of coupling different os based computers together.
    Justifying an extra whizz bang Mac with all the bells and whistles, and the associated cost, would be harder to do than buying a modestly priced PC to carry Mir and other effect programs alone, particularly with the uncertainty of how the new intel macs will perform.

Regards,

Alex.

• Paul,
    I find it offensive you think you're the only technically challenged chap here.
    After all the simplistic posts i submitted showing my continual ignorance in program matters, still you grasp for the crown.

Move over. There's two of us!

Regards,

Alex. [[:|]]

• last edited
    last edited

@hermitage59 said:

Paul,
    I find it offensive you think you're the only technically challenged chap here.
    After all the simplistic posts i submitted showing my continual ignorance in program matters, still you grasp for the crown.

Move over. There's two of us!

Regards,

Alex. [[[:|]]]

No - I won't have that Alex. I'm Spartacus - there can be only one. And I have proved it on numerous occasions - through (apparent) deliberately loony technical questions and offering bribes.

Once, I rang up a really swanky computer company that dealt in massive systems for major FTSE 100 companies and asked to speak to the managing director as a matter of urgency.

When finally put through - I asked him what and where I needed to put a cable to enable me to print letters. My secretary was on holiday at the time.

Beat that!

He was very polite and understanding actually - after he realised he was dealing with not so much a human - more a genetic flaw.

I once had to ask Evan Evans what a sound card was - that's all true - but I don't care because that's the cards I was dealt with.

[[[:|]]] [:O]ops: [:D]

• So what's a sound card?
    Does it improve the volume on your mobile phone?

[[:|]]

Move over Spartacus.

• last edited
    last edited

@hermitage59 said:

So what's a sound card?

I've already forgotten.

See?

You can't win. I'm off to smash golf balls down the range now - before Dietz loses his patience.

Later.

• I just want to say that I appreciate all the elucidating going on here and it sounds like MIR is going to be another great product from the VSL team. Very happy to hear it will be on it's own platform because this is a big drawback with convolution (such as Gigapulse) due to processing limitations when sharing resources. The fact that it is familiar or integrated with VSL's samples means a lot less work and a lot better sound for us technically challenged (a crown I should wear but who could ever wrestle the crown away from the British?)

Dave Connor

• (a crown I should wear but who could ever wrestle the crown away from the British?)
    Dpcon.

Well said old chap.

Good to see there's at least one fellow from the colonies who knows his place! [:O]

Regards,

Alex. [:D]

• Oh come on, the US has certainly got it's share of queens [:D]

DG

• Well... certainly interesting info here... so if there will not be an own OS for the thing - with which I was partly serious, maybe something like the Agnula Project would have fit and you could have go on from what they already developed or develop your own proprietary formats and interfaces, which could also help you on copyprotection issues due to minor availibility... well anyway if that's not the case, you should consider maybe, that it would be useful to have all-availible audio connections for that thing. Meaning it got something like ReWire capability or even better hostable through network without the need of analog or digital audio cables from sequencer machine to MIR machine, and that perhaps could also provide more confidence for the Mac users. Maybe you feed a "virtual" VST on the MIR machine with the final audio data and that "virtual" VST can be hosted on the users DAW. If not possible then write down recommendations for or the complete part list of your test gear so technologically challenged people can rebuild the setups completely. [:D]

All the best,
    PolarBear

• last edited
    last edited
    Dietz wrote:

@Another User said:

Think of the MIR as a new form of mixing console. It will _not_ be your next "reverb plugin", so the OS-discussion is futile. And yes, you will want to use a dedicated computer for this engine [;)] ... sorry, Thierry, but in your scenario you will need to use AltiVerb.

Wow, this MIR thing sounds like it's going to be a product for an elite few, with monster rigs. It sounds like it'll be a product that you put in between all your dedicated GS machines and your digital audio work station. Considering that not many people like to run that many computers, I would guess that not many MIR units or software packages will be sold. That would suggest that the price will be astronomical.

Seriously, I wonder if this going to be at all practical for the way people really work, especially in bigger shops where composing and tracking is done by one crew, and the mostly dry tracks are mixed by another crew. If a person who specialized in mixing is going to deal with the final mix, they're not going to want everything already slathered in verb. They might also already be fond of the various verb units they're currently using, and further, might not be interested in something that's so specifically tied to VSL nomenclature. Mixers are also very attached to their mixing environments of choice (with automation, a boat load of favorite plug-ins, expensive control surfaces, etc.).

I'm ready to be convinced, but I'm also not certain that placing many different instruments in different places in a convolution model is going to make that big of a difference compared to what one can already do with the current version of AltiVerb. When things get convolved to a certain extent, everything is pretty well blended together. These days, with AltiVerb 5, I don't find myself being at all disappointed with the quality of the reverb on my projects. To my ears, the AudioEase IRs are quite exquisitely done. It's still the fact that samples sound like samples, and not completely like real players that gives a piece that "sampled" quality.

At any rate, this is a really brave thing that VSL is doing. They're taking risks with a brand new concept, and I hope it works out for them.

Lee Blaske

• As an armchair marketing expert, it sounds to me like none of that would be a problem if there were a way to teach MIR about things other than VSL. I have no idea how the product actually works, of course, but I suspect that the majority of even the most devout VSL users use other instruments too - sampled and live.

• It would be interesting to know what percentage of VSL users are purists. I'd bet not many. My hunch is that even those who use VSL quite heavily have accumulated quite a bit of other content that gets used quite regularly. It's a whapatooli world out there.

Lee Blaske