Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

183,305 users have contributed to 42,291 threads and 255,041 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 4 new thread(s), 15 new post(s) and 52 new user(s).

• Hey people, are we at the VSL (translation: VIENNA Symphonic Library) forum or somewhere else?

The best Library I know is by far VSL !!!
    I've tried them all ... compared to the VSL, EWQLSO is a childish toy.

Just my 2 cents ...

VSL - You are simply the BEST!

• last edited
    last edited

@PaulR said:

Is your name Stefan Leiste?

you mean: Stefan Leiste, who's working in EASTWESTSOUNDS Company [*-)]:

It'll be so funny [:O]ops:

• Finally, the moral of this thread :

The administrators of this site are really very patient and tolerant.

Three pages with speaking on EWQL.

Doug must be happy

/aristote the frenchie

• Stefan,
    My my, what an interesting reply you've written.

I'm not sure about this quote stuff, so i'll cut and paste your quotes, and ask you to be a little patient. (I still use a 'Quill', ink, and parchment to set out a score. Call me old fashioned.)

"Inf act what I hear these days in movies or other soundtracks (Did I mention Cirque de Soleil in Las Vegas with 160 Channel setup?) that needs this big sound."

So, you've pointed clearly in the direction of EW in relation to your compositions and your perception of what is the 'sound' of today's film and soundtrack direction.
    That's as it should be, with personal preference the key factor in deciding what you want, and importantly what you want to use it for. It's obvious from the enthusiasm in your reply that a 'big sound' is one you aspire to, and EW rocks your boat. It's your choice.
    It's my choice however to choose if i agree or not.

That big sound versus the European 'dry' sounds to me a little single focused. Each example you gave related to that big boom boom sound, with an almost derisory afterthought to our poor little Euro dry. And with that big booming sound of yours, much can be forgiven musically, little flaws and sometimes big ones, skillfully overwhelmed by the ringing waves of bash, bang, wallop, and endless choirs who can only hum because they've forgotten the words. It's a terrific way to hide the mistakes, and many a composer, good and bad, in the past and present, has succumbed to the temptation of noise over musicianship.

Stefan, I've played in orchestras, and sat in the audience listening on more occasions than i can remember, often as student armed with a compact score, listening to the real sounds, and countersounds, trying to understand what's happening.
    And the big sounds I have as that singular definition, include Beethoven's 9th (Choral symphony), Wagner's, well, pick one, Rimsky korsakov, (who wrote a book that has become a bible for many). Did these works originate from a pre processed 'Big Sound'?
    No.
    They used a technique that has stood the test of time against all comers.

'I agree that 'dry" recordered instruments makes it easier to create precise compositions. However, most of the times my results with the "big sound" is much more accurate to a real orchestra and I get a much quicker good result.'

See above for why a dry sound HAS to sound superb, BEFORE any effects are applied, not the other way around.

"The interesting aspect is that film music in Europe is so much more "dry" than it is on all the big Hollywood producttions. I believe that Vienne is working on the reverb to compensate that."

I find this one a trifle arrogant. You're saying that the VSL team are actually trying to lower their exacting standards to get that big hollywood sound that you're so fond of? As if it is the Holy Grail of Sampler Technology?

(See the MIR project page for details about the finesse of spacial awareness and the perfective determination required to achieve it.)

The reverse is true. Many of the early and present sample packages used a false reverb and 'ringing sound' to try and HIDE the fact they were (and in some cases still are) sub standard.

Stefan, the big sound obviously suits you, and puts you in a wonderful emotional state. If you're getting lots of work as you say you are with your big sound, then good luck to you. If it helps you eat, i've got no problems with that.

But don't assume all of us wish to aspire to the formulaic hollywood formula, of big and loud, with crushingly boring simple chord changes 'cos that's 'What the audiences want' (according to the demographic analyst).

Nope, the few of us left (because you stated 'maybe many others as well' early in your post) who wish to resist following the rest of the sheep and write something new and interesting, use another skill which puts the ideas first, then applies the effects, IF NEEDED.

It's called Orchestration, and of all the skills needed musically it's often the most ignored, the least understood, and the most valuable skill you can develop. Freed of the safety blanket of waves of noise, that dry sound compels one, if chasing excellence and improvement in oneself, to ever more determination and creativity in the dangerous and uncertain environment of no effects.
    No 'reverbial safety net', no endless droning choirs to hide the poor choice of timbre and pitch in the woodwinds, or the 'wincing jar' of ill placed brass.

I for one don't want reverb on my samples. That's my choice. I don't want cathedral sound with a one road only attitude leading straight to Hollywood.

I like writing music, and testing myself e.g. to see how thinly i can orchestrate and still get a good balanced sound.

Bang Bang Boom, with no other option, and the exclusion of all those years of hard work, and musical determination?

No thanks.

Alex.

• skill a musician and composer can have. The ability to write a thinly orchestrated piece that sounds complete and well balanced with the careful use of instruments and dynamics is far more rewarding, and musically honest. You can't do this with a
    package purely designed for boom, boom, boom.

If the big sound you crave with such enthusiasm is the sum total of your aspirations, that's your choice.
    You also wrote 'maybe many others' in the start of your post. Any real proof of this? Or merely a little conjecture.

I think you're suggesting we consider we give up the years of hard work ,study, and bloody minded determination, chasing excellence, to take the singular one track only path to Hollywood.

The assumption all of us want to do that staggers me, and the single minded attitude you display is a direct reflection of the single track approach of the EW samples. (My opinion, and i only speak for myself, not 'many' others......maybe)
    Why, some of us want to write interesting, subtle, well written and orchestrated music, and the best tool for that, in my opinion is VSL. As a sample package capable of both thin and full instrumentation, it stands alone, and ready for everything.

Based on GOOD Orchestration.

So, do i want your boom boom one track pack?

No. I like writing music.

Alex.

• last edited
    last edited

@Another User said:

Originally posted by johnyc
    With EWQLSO it is my understanding that with little effort you can get that big hollywood sound out of the box. [...]

One of the famous Urban Legends ...

My 2¢ as someone who has both libs: EWQLSO is best at rhythmic, boom boom boom stuff. It's bright, it's powerful, and it has a lot of reverb.

If you balance the levels of just the stage (Decca tree) mics, you will get reasonable results even without using the other mic positions. So in that sense I don't think it's an urban legend.

If you're into the subtleties, of course it's an urban legend.

I wouldn't comment about other companies' products, especially ones that don't compete with ours directly. [+o(]

The point I tried to make, actually: It is an urban legend that the Vienna Symphonic Library makes it difficult to achieve that so-called Hollywood-sound (whatever that may be). - The main problem is that you can make it sound _so_ differently that the hasty listener will maybe miss those large-scale examples.

All the best,

/Dietz

/Dietz - Vienna Symphonic Library
  • last edited
    last edited

@aristote said:

[...] Doug must be happy!

He's already enjoying it: -> http://office.vsl.co.at/forum14/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=1680 [H]

/Dietz

• Ah, I misunderstood.

No question. You can easily make VSL sound huge.

• last edited
    last edited

@Dietz said:

He's already enjoying it
    /Dietz

He has at least elegance not to hide behind a pseudonym

/aristote the frenchie

• I have both EWQLSO Silver and Gold. I like and use both extensively.

I have only VSL sounds from Gigastudio 3 and more recently Kontakt 2. From what I've heard of the performance articulations, like the French Horn ensemble from K2 or the clarinet from GS3, I know why VSL doesn't have to advertise that much- their products are excellent.

The legato instruments are FRIGGIN' unreal Dietz. Honestly, I play on that French Horn ensemble legato patch all the time. I love hearing the lip slur.

As for those who say VSL doesn't sound big- um try listening to the Holst Jupiter in the demo section. Seriously- it is the most realistic demo I've ever heard when it comes to sampled orchestras. It's stunning and BIG!

• Thanks for backing up my statement.

/Dietz

• last edited
    last edited

@Dietz said:

He's already enjoying it
    /Dietz

He has at least elegance not to hide behind a pseudonym

/aristote the frenchie

[:D] Actually, I think it _is_ a pseudonym!

/Dietz

• [6] disappointed

aristote

• Crappy Apple UK speed bump. Just in case you missed it, I'll ask it again:-

Is_ your_ name_ Stefan_ Leiste?

Hello????

• [I]

PaulR, He cannot hear you…

The big hollywood sound from EWQL is too BIG [:O]ops:

• I was very close to joining the EWQL Platinum Group Buy. In the end I decided against it, and will save the money and continue to hope to be able to amass enough $$$ in the next year to get the VSL, since that is what I really want. It was a very tough decision, because that was a spectacularly low price on EWQL, and it isn't certain that I'll ever be able to come up with the $3700 or so to get the complete First Edition of the VSL (the Pro Edition? Forget about it...). On the other hand the VSL demos are much more to my liking, and being somewhat sentimental, the fact that I met Herb in person in LA once when he was demoing his (then brand new) product continues to influence my thinking on the matter.

I'd love to see any VSL users who purchased EWQL post their impressions of working with after they've spent some time with it, though.

• I'm not sure I qualify as a VSL user (yet) since I only have Kontakt 2 and Gigastudio bundled VSL sounds but I'll share my impressions.

For strings, especially legato or sustained, I prefer VSL. Someone on the SoundsOnline board said one of my demos using K2 VSL strings was "dead" regarding the sound- sorry but I disagree. If you take a sustained string patch from VSL and compare it to EWQLSO Gold, you'll find a more natural vibrato and string sonority. Whenever I play demos of my stuff using EWQLSO Gold, the listener will say "like the percussion, brass, don't like the strings". I do enjoy using some of the Martele up/down patches because they sound pretty realistic. And the non-vibrato strings are good too. But the full on vib strings just don't sound really real to my ears. And I've been lucky enough to do some scoring for real strings so I know a little bit about what they should sound like.

Another thing I've noticed with the K2 VSL sounds is that there ARE release samples, something that some people declare are abscent in VSL products. I can hear the bow lifting off of the string in many cases. And the x-fade string samples are EXCELLENT. I never realised the power and control one has using mod wheel to control volume and vibrato using these patches. Excellent.

The flutes on VSL are superb. Unbeaten. The legato flute is one of the most used instruments in my computer set-up. Also the French Horn ensemble legato. Beautiful sound that also approximates the lip slurs. Nicely done.

Now, in EWQLSO Gold's defence, I like the brass. I used to play trombone so I'm very finicky about brass. I find them to be a little thicker sounding than the brass I have on Kontakt 2 VSL. But the one thing I'm not crazy about is the release trails. If one tries to play a fast staccato passage, one gets a strange clipping on the built-in hall reverb on East West. this is a pain to say the least. I know you can take off the trails but that's also a pain. However, in most cases, I DO like the hall ambience. I think it's natural and great sounding. Convolution reverbs are better than the run-of-the-mill stuff but I still think they sound a little unnatural. That's just me.

Percussion-wise, it's a toss up. HOWEVER, Gold doesn't seem to have fff timpani rolls. What they heck is that??? With VSL, all I need to do is hit the key harder and I get a louder sample roll. Um, that kinda makes sense doesn't it? Perhaps I'm missing something with EWQLSO Gold but I'm sure there aren't any fortissimo timp rolls. But the timpani strikes I do prefer on Gold. They sound big and deep.

Celesta and harp rule on VSL. I don't have the Pro upgrade on Gold so I cannot judge the celeste but I do prefer the VSL harp to the Gold harp. But I do use the Gold harp often anyhow.

The Platinum group buy never really interested me. One, I didn't have the cash for it. But also, if I had the funds, I'd buy the Opus 1/2 bundle instead. I want more of the legato instruments like oboe, solo horn, strings, etc. I love hearing the glides on the legato strings in some of the demos on this site. That to me is the real deal.

However, I'd like to point out that there are many really excellent sounds on Gold. The staccato strings, brass, winds are excellent. The oboe trills are great, the percussion is fantastic, and the interface (Komptakt) is fast and normally reliable. Having the built-in hall ambience means I don't have to fumble about finding the correct reverb. Gold sounds pretty darn good. I mean, it's ultimately up to the user to make it sound good.

I would say that, in my experience with VSL and EWQLSO, Gold is faster to make music one but VSL has a bit more sonic realism in the individual samples. Perhaps that's why some people say East West is good for big Hollywood scores while VSL is good for concert works or chamber works. the Hollywood sound has big rich sonorities while concert works can range from chamber ensembles to symphonic orchestras. I think there have been excellent demos made by Thomas Bergerson for both Platinum and VSL. The guy is one talented composer. Obviously, if he can get excellent results from both, than anyone can through hard work, some reading up on orchestration, and determination.

Both of these libraries are outstanding in their own way. As such, we users are lucky if we're able to afford one if not both of them.

• I'm not sure I qualify as a VSL user (yet) since I only have Kontakt 2 and Gigastudio bundled VSL sounds but I'll share my impressions.

For strings, especially legato or sustained, I prefer VSL. Someone on the SoundsOnline board said one of my demos using K2 VSL strings was "dead" regarding the sound- sorry but I disagree. If you take a sustained string patch from VSL and compare it to EWQLSO Gold, you'll find a more natural vibrato and string sonority. Whenever I play demos of my stuff using EWQLSO Gold, the listener will say "like the percussion, brass, don't like the strings". I do enjoy using some of the Martele up/down patches because they sound pretty realistic. And the non-vibrato strings are good too. But the full on vib strings just don't sound really real to my ears. And I've been lucky enough to do some scoring for real strings so I know a little bit about what they should sound like.

Another thing I've noticed with the K2 VSL sounds is that there ARE release samples, something that some people declare are abscent in VSL products. I can hear the bow lifting off of the string in many cases. And the x-fade string samples are EXCELLENT. I never realised the power and control one has using mod wheel to control volume and vibrato using these patches. Excellent.

The flutes on VSL are superb. Unbeaten. The legato flute is one of the most used instruments in my computer set-up. Also the French Horn ensemble legato. Beautiful sound that also approximates the lip slurs. Nicely done.

Now, in EWQLSO Gold's defence, I like the brass. I used to play trombone so I'm very finicky about brass. I find them to be a little thicker sounding than the brass I have on Kontakt 2 VSL. But the one thing I'm not crazy about is the release trails. If one tries to play a fast staccato passage, one gets a strange clipping on the built-in hall reverb on East West. this is a pain to say the least. I know you can take off the trails but that's also a pain. However, in most cases, I DO like the hall ambience. I think it's natural and great sounding. Convolution reverbs are better than the run-of-the-mill stuff but I still think they sound a little unnatural. That's just me.

Percussion-wise, it's a toss up. HOWEVER, Gold doesn't seem to have fff timpani rolls. What they heck is that??? With VSL, all I need to do is hit the key harder and I get a louder sample roll. Um, that kinda makes sense doesn't it? Perhaps I'm missing something with EWQLSO Gold but I'm sure there aren't any fortissimo timp rolls. But the timpani strikes I do prefer on Gold. They sound big and deep.

Celesta and harp rule on VSL. I don't have the Pro upgrade on Gold so I cannot judge the celeste but I do prefer the VSL harp to the Gold harp. But I do use the Gold harp often anyhow.

The Platinum group buy never really interested me. One, I didn't have the cash for it. But also, if I had the funds, I'd buy the Opus 1/2 bundle instead. I want more of the legato instruments like oboe, solo horn, strings, etc. I love hearing the glides on the legato strings in some of the demos on this site. That to me is the real deal.

However, I'd like to point out that there are many really excellent sounds on Gold. The staccato strings, brass, winds are excellent. The oboe trills are great, the percussion is fantastic, and the interface (Komptakt) is fast and normally reliable. Having the built-in hall ambience means I don't have to fumble about finding the correct reverb. Gold sounds pretty darn good. I mean, it's ultimately up to the user to make it sound good.

I would say that, in my experience with VSL and EWQLSO, Gold is faster to make music one but VSL has a bit more sonic realism in the individual samples. Perhaps that's why some people say East West is good for big Hollywood scores while VSL is good for concert works or chamber works. the Hollywood sound has big rich sonorities while concert works can range from chamber ensembles to symphonic orchestras. I think there have been excellent demos made by Thomas Bergerson for both Platinum and VSL. The guy is one talented composer. Obviously, if he can get excellent results from both, than anyone can through hard work, some reading up on orchestration, and determination.

Both of these libraries are outstanding in their own way. As such, we users are lucky if we're able to afford one if not both of them.

• Your post got cut off dcoscina (4026 characters and more to come), and now is displayed three times. Maybe you want to add the missing content in the other two posts you did.

PolarBear

Btw. Were you warned your post length is too long? I also experienced that and hoped the recent phpBB update would fix that...