Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

183,036 users have contributed to 42,273 threads and 254,974 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 8 new post(s) and 53 new user(s).

• I was actually surprised that the Vienna people had sales of any kind at first.

I guess a group buy would be nice, but I believe that even discounts can have an impact on the perceived intrinsic value of a product. Especially one that is upgrade oriented.

VSL is serious stuff. People on the fence about their VSL purchases really don't need what the library or the company has to offer.

Clark

• last edited
    last edited

@clarkcontrol said:

I was actually surprised that the Vienna people had sales of any kind at first.

I guess a group buy would be nice, but I believe that even discounts can have an impact on the perceived intrinsic value of a product. Especially one that is upgrade oriented.

VSL is serious stuff. People on the fence about their VSL purchases really don't need what the library or the company has to offer.

Clark

I do agree. And VSL also probably doesn't want to alienate the loyal customers who shelled out the full price for their products. I know I'd be pissed off if I paid $1500 or whatever for Opus 1 only to discover a month later that it was going for a group buy price of $500.

Just from the quality of the demo patches that came with GS3 Orchestra, I know that these samples are leagues ahead of the competition (in most categories- I still prefer Project SAM brass over any other library out there, but that's a preference obviously).

If I had to recommend a single cost effective library to someone who demands excellence from their orchestral samples, I'd point them toward Opus 1. If I had to start all over again, I would go this route. But I don't know if I'd get GS3 version or Kontakt. Kontakt benefits from greater polyphony as it's a plug-in. On the other hand, GS3 running as its own app. has some advantages. And the re-wire function certainly gives one some flexbility.

• last edited
    last edited

@clarkcontrol said:

Right... [8-)] And people who are on the fence because they've already invested in many other libraries are not serious. I smell the sadly familiar odour of snobbery in the air. [:'(]

• That may be true, however keep in mind one thing: what Herb said, that he had "deep respect for anyone who does a sample library."

this is one of the reasons that VSL is so good - it is run by someone who is a pure artist.

• I apologize most profusely if my comments seemed elitist. I was only attempting to be direct in my comments.

I own many libraries. I go to VSL first.

That doesn't mean that the other libraries aren't good; some of the older ones do things that sound better than the newest ones do, including VSL.

But I'll bet that if you asked any Vienna orchestra user (Opus, 1st Ed., Pro) what their "desert island" sample set was...

Clark

• I've got EWQLSO SIlver loaded up, playing one of the Gold patches. Nice but then I switched to GS3.0 (re-wired in Sonar) and started messing around with the legato clarinet patch...um, don't mean to compare but holy smoley, whatta difference.

• 1st joke of the day :

Why is East West doing group buy ?

Because they need some cash to pay the hall where they record the Pro edition [[:D]]

---------
    2nd joke of the day :

Because they received an Arward and some cash from Apple as the best "G4/G5 killer" [[:D]]

Merry Xmas

Cyril[/b]

MacBook Pro M3 MAX 128 GB 8TB - 2 x 48" screen --- Logic Pro --- Mir Pro 3D --- Most of the VI libs, a few Synch... libs --- Quite a few Kontakt libs --- CS80 fanatic
  • last edited
    last edited

@Cyril said:

1st joke of the day :

Because they need some cash to pay the hall where they record the Pro edition [[:D]]

---------
    2nd joke of the day :

Because they received an Arward and some cash from Apple as the best "G4/G5 killer" [[:D]]

Merry Xmas

Cyril[/b]

Woo hooo! [:O]ops: Man, are those jokes ever hilarious [8-)] . If you`ve ever used it, You`d know that EWQLSO is a Killer Lib. And that takes nothing away from VSL ..They both compliment each other nicely ,rich

• last edited
    last edited

@dcoscina said:

I've got EWQLSO SIlver loaded up, playing one of the Gold patches. Nice but then I switched to GS3.0 (re-wired in Sonar) and started messing around with the legato clarinet patch...um, don't mean to compare but holy smoley, whatta difference.

Hey Dcosina,
    Yea there arent that many Torontonians a far as i can see, maybe we`ll bump into each other one day.. [:D]
    BTW, the VSL Perf. Set stuff is really wonderful and does things that no other library can do but you really have to check out QLSO Platinum to get the full experience of that lib. Silver`s just a teaser..Best to you [:)] Rich

• last edited
    last edited

@Another User said:

Hey Dcosina,
    Yea there arent that many Torontonians a far as i can see, maybe we`ll bump into each other one day.. [:D]
    BTW, the VSL Perf. Set stuff is really wonderful and does things that no other library can do but you really have to check out QLSO Platinum to get the full experience of that lib. Silver`s just a teaser..Best to you [:)] Rich

I actually just bought the Gold edition through the Group Buy. And I'll probably end up going Gold Pro from there on a bit later on.

Still haven't ruled out VSL though. I REALLY like those legato patches, especially for woodwinds.

• last edited
    last edited

@Another User said:

Hey Dcosina,
    Yea there arent that many Torontonians a far as i can see, maybe we`ll bump into each other one day.. [[:D]]

I actually just bought the Gold edition through the Group Buy. And I'll probably end up going Gold Pro from there on a bit later on.

Still haven't ruled out VSL though. I REALLY like those legato patches, especially for woodwinds.
    The performance stuff in VSL is amazing. Not to be ruled out.. [[:D]] Rich

• Yeah, I definitely think so. I keep going to that legato clarinet demo patch every time I boot up GS3. I feel a bit stupid since I could have bought Opus 1 last weekend but instead went the GS3 Orchestra route. I have Solo as well which is running on my lesser powered laptop but I guess my reasoning was that I wanted mondo polyphony BEFORE I bought Opus 1. It never occured to me, being the dumbass I am, that I could have bought Opus 1 for Kontakt (which I also own) or else, used the freeze featured on Sonar 4 with GS3 Solo....oh well.......