Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,599 users have contributed to 42,243 threads and 254,863 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 4 new thread(s), 20 new post(s) and 45 new user(s).

• andy - the oboe issue has been on this forum for well over a year - have a search of the various threads, and you'll find plenty of explanations and input from Herb and the rest of his team. I think you'll find answers in the early threads to a lot of other issues that are resurfacing now...

BTW, when I bought the library, I read that it was a Viennese oboe, and I didn't expect a French one. Easy. Research helps in calm understanding.

peace,

Peter

• FWIW I like the sound of the VSL oboe. Like all the woodwinds, it has a great tone. It's just a different sound, almost a different instrument.

By the way - not to be nasty, but..it's hardly an obscure secret that there are two very different oboe techniques. Every orchestration book I've ever seen explains that.

So do you have plans to sample a Viennese clarinet - you know, with every note swimming in vibrato? [6]

• Actually, there are three oboe sounds: French, Viennese, and the woodwind doubler oboe sound. [:D]

• Herb, Thankyou so much for your explanantion....I appologise for my ignorance about oboe playing in Vienna.....fascinating about them not teaching vibrato at the universities - you learn something new every day! Peter,-I did research this library before buying, but unfortunately missed this detail. Nick-as far as I'm concerned, the clarinet is wonderful as it is [:)] Guess I'll just have to wait for the Horizon product with the French vibrato oboe.

• No problem Andy,
    the search mode of this forum is - hm - not very efficient.

best
    Herb

• Herb

For the forthcoming release of woodwind ensembles will you be using 3 Vienna oboes or 3 French Oboes?

Regards

Mirabile

• Hi Mirabile,
    the oboes in the ensemble are Viennese.

to andygrainger:
    we recorded a German system clarinet, you can find a thorough description of the instrument including a foto in our Instruments Online section:
    http://www.vsl.co.at/english/INSTRUMENTS/Woodwinds/Clarinets/Clarinet_in_B/BRIEF_DESCRIPTION.htm

For the flute:
    http://www.vsl.co.at/english/INSTRUMENTS/Woodwinds/Flutes/Concert_flute/BRIEF_DESCRIPTION.htm

best,
    sabine

• An oboe player would tell you there are more than three oboe sounds. There are recognizable differences between American, English, Viennese and French which is similar to the Belgian. And this does not include many possible variations found with historical intruments. Like what Handel's Fireworks Music was originally scored for - the English oboe descended from the medieval Schalmey which was a loud, coarse sound more like a bagpipe chanter than a modern oboe. It was called a "war-like instrument." Rather different from today's delicate, refined sound.

I agree with Nick on the VSL oboe which has a beautiful tone. Though there are now vibrato samples, the first release was non-vibrato, which many people immediately and wrongly equate with bad tone.

• I have a suggestion for a fair deal that I hope won't ruffle anyone's feathers. How about giving the Oboe Horizon set away to anyone who bought the entire Pro Edition PLUS 2 (or 3) other Horizon sets?

Most heavy (and picky) VSL users should be happy with that I'd guess and VSL marketing would be sponsoring an additional sales incentive.

• Sabine

Thanks for the info.

Will the oboe ensemble have samples with vibrato?

Regards

Mirabile

• And is there any news on a target date? I suppose we'll not be seeing them this month, so may would be a good guess?

• When the products or demos will be available ?

[:D]

• last edited
    last edited

@SyQuEsT said:

When the products or demos will be available ?

[:D]
    Could you be any less specific? [:D]

• [[:D]] [:)] [[:D]]