Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

183,459 users have contributed to 42,300 threads and 255,080 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 3 new thread(s), 12 new post(s) and 54 new user(s).

• String consruction help

Wanted some help as a beginner laying out a string part.(adding other sting parts)
    I have a single violin string melody. The key is C.
    I now want to add the viola, bass,chello and 2nd violin part to enhance and build this single melody line.

I think I can do the bass and the chello (follows the bass an octave up).
    but what is the usual way of handeling the other instruments. 2nd violin and viola?

Regards
    Telf

• from beginner to beginner: it depends... [:)]

There are various possibilities, mainly depending on the style of music. If it´s an adagio kind slow movement, or something hectic or rhythmical etc.

You can use Violas to indroduce a more moving figuration in choral like structure, you can use them for adding rhythmical or harmonic notes to the celli, you can also present the melody with them, b.t.w. (but then care for the covering of the violins).
    You can use second Violins to double the first ones. In unison if you want to have the melody really loud, or in thirds/sixths or in a counterpointal way. Or think up a counterpointal part consisting of Violin2 and Violas together as a group. Or do a figuration to accompany.
    This is of course just blank idioms. Maybe others have better possibilties to describe possible functions.

There are all possibilities and most interesting is if you vary them. So don´t use the same string treatment throughout the whole piece.
    Best, of course, get a score of a piece you like and simply have a look what the composer has done with the individual string sections. It´s also not obligatory to use celli and doublebasses in octaves, although it mostly works and certainly is used most often. For example in Griegs "ases death" he uses them also in fifths, which gives this dark sound.

Maybe this helped, I´m not sure... [*-)]
    Bests,
    - Mathis

• Ok yes that helps. I,ll experiment a bit
    thanks

• One suggestion I would have is to try and write lines in the other parts. In other words, don't just do a melody accompanied by chords with doubled bass line in cellos, but try to come up with some accompanying figures or counterpoint of any kind to support the melody. It will give you the harmony you want, but also create more interesting parts for the other instruments.

• William,

Absolutely agreed. I believe in this and the jazz that my father played was based on that as well.

Play each part independant of each other. If it doesn't sound interesting, than it's not interesting to have. Chords backing melody is a trick, a hack, to sound LIKE you are adding harmony to melody, but instead you are just adding chords. Harmony is not about chords or progressions, lo your college would have you think so. Harmony is about cooperation. And the best harmony comes from giving every line equal importance or an equal role in cooperating with the others.

Evan Evans

• Thats great,
    Question: Does each part usually just play a single melody line? (not piano chords like a keyboard player)

regards
    ant

• last edited
    last edited

@telf said:

Question: Does each part usually just play a single melody line? (not piano chords like a keyboard player)regardsant

Not necessarily. As you seem to be putting together a piece for a string quintet, rather than thinking in terms of 'chords', you may wish to think in terms of sympathetic accompaniement. It sounds, and I am probably completely wrong, that you are thinking like a keyboard player. One of the great things about this library, is that it gives us the facility to think more laterally, and especially with regard to VSL's added solo string instruments that will no doubt appear soon.

You may wish to experiment with Williams ideas regarding counterpoint, wherby he doesn't necessarily mean that you should swamp the piece with five seperate melody lines. As Evan says, it should be a co-operative harmanisation as opposed to 'block keyboard chords'. Chordal structures will appear, of course, but it should be more of a suggestion, than the traditional left-hand hammer down. Watch each individual instruments timbres and try not to let them muddy each other.

Mathis' point about studying scores is a good one and if you have not done so already, listen to Herbs mock-up of Death of the Maiden (although don't try that without an adult being present). [[;)]]

One of my wishes, is to try something like this myself when all the solo instruments become available. I haven't done a quartet or quintet yet, so I find your question an interesting one and look forward to hearing your piece. [:)]

All the best

PaulR

• Thanks very much guys. all helpfull info.

regards
    telf

• PaulP Paul moved this topic from Orchestration & Composition on