Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

183,457 users have contributed to 42,300 threads and 255,079 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 3 new thread(s), 12 new post(s) and 54 new user(s).

• Lord of the strings............

What arrangement of strings do i need for a huge sounding string section? I want them to be warm lush and authentic with long flowing lines and not so much bright.How many violins can we go in vsl without going ott...28? should the 1st violins be tranposed by +12 to the 2nd violins or the same pitch? how many violas,cello's would i need.is 10 and 8 adequate? Gee what a wonderful sound howard shore makes in his epic films......Howard are you a member on vsl?? hee hee............can anybody help.....im kinda new to this. oh i forgot....and what about the legato leading melody line? how many legato's should i use...2? one at o and one at +12 pitch? help?

• You must write with wide, conservative(5 to 6 simultaneous notes), allocations. The writing and the orchestration must be thought of at teh same time. in other words the key and how the melodies an dcounterlines split across the timbres ofthe different string sections must be taken account of befor eyou commit to your melody. The splits can ruin a compositon if they are in the wrong key.

be sure to use only one note in the violas, and often you will split teh Cellos (in real life), but in VSl there is no small cello section so that might get you sounding tooooo dark. Instead, try to keep your harmonizations to only 5 simultaneous notes. use strings in octaves, but played seperately.

Evan Evans

• PaulP Paul moved this topic from Orchestration & Composition on