Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,440 users have contributed to 42,227 threads and 254,796 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 4 new thread(s), 22 new post(s) and 51 new user(s).

• [quote=evanevans]Pretty sure ALIEN was 100% acoustic. Pretty sure.

Thats what I thought Evan. It's just so good at what it does, it almost suggests an electronic element. Use of echo on col legno strings (I think?) etc. This of course fits well with the original point of the thread. Not everthing is what it seems. When does an orchestral instrument start to morph over to a sound we would normally associate with synths/theramins ect. Is an audience hearing what it thinks it should or expect to be hearing.

Haven't heard of Delia Derbyshire Paul but most interested.Dpcon.

One of the all time greats Dave. Couldn't resist my 100th post to coincide (finally) with mentioning Delia Derbyshire. Engineered it a bit. [[;)]] She definately wasn't a twit like me. Musical legend within her genre.

That darn Paul keeps beating me to the punch. Dpcon.

Time difference old buddy. Thats all. You have to get out of bed very early. Literally.

Now, its a quarter to midnight here. Should be able to find something to destroy before the chimes.

Later Gentleman

P.S Leslie Nielson

• last edited
    last edited

@William said:

That is interesting about Delia Derbyshire.

Just seen this post. I think the best thing William would be to check it out on the internet. Either by her name or BBC Radiophonic Workshop. There was an hour long program on TV a few weeks ago all about the start and finish of the RW. Brought back good memories of that era.

In those days, when the BBC wanted music for their programs, the musician that would do it from the RW could literally be the first one that showed up in the morning. How crazy is that?

You have heard the Doctor Who theme, haven't you? I mean the original.

• last edited
    last edited

@PaulR said:

Delia Derbyshire was one of the greatest pioneers of electronic music: ever. Thats not just my opinion, thats a fact.
    [/b]

Here's a nice timeline for important events and people in electronic music.
    http://www.indiana.edu/~emusic/elechist.htm

Maybe Delia is not a recognized name because she was creating musique concrete after those technique were no longer considered revolutionary and synthesis was coming onto the scene?

• Here's a nice timeline for important events and people in electronic music.
    http://www.indiana.edu/~emusic/elechist.htm

Maybe Delia is not a recognized name because she was creating musique concrete after those technique were no longer considered revolutionary and synthesis was coming onto the scene?[/quote]

Thats a very informative list. Thanks CS. [:)]

Maybe Delia wasn't recognised because a certain Corporation wouldn't allow it. The department Delia worked in was called the BBC Radiophonic Workshop. People used to ring it up to ask them if they could repair their radios and televisions.

England had never been much good at forwarding people like Delia ( and others) mores the pity.

Delia's original Dr Who theme still makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. Her Dreams soundscape, stands upto (and beyond) anyone mentioned in the list.

If you are interested in this type of thing, check Delia Derbyshire out on the Web and if you can, listen to her work.

All the best.

• Paul,

Do you have a recording of the Derbyshire Dreams? It is apparently unavailable anywhere. I would like to hear it.

• last edited
    last edited

@William said:

Paul,Do you have a recording of the Derbyshire Dreams? It is apparently unavailable anywhere. I would like to hear it.

I don't have it anymore Bill. Its quite old, from the early/mid sixties when the Radiophonic Workshop was in full swing. What I'll do, is give the BBC a call on Monday and see if they can get it out the archives and let me have copy somehow. If I get lucky, I will send it to you.

• PaulP Paul moved this topic from Orchestration & Composition on