Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,554 users have contributed to 42,239 threads and 254,843 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 5 new thread(s), 14 new post(s) and 46 new user(s).

• Mathis,

Wonderful piece! Was that pro edition oboe? I only have 1st edition so I'm wondering if I have all those articulations.

Enjoyed the "dirt track". Very nice compositionally - you're very talented.

Dave Connor

• And the breaths? Do we have that in Pro?

Evan Evans

• Thanks, Dave!
    Guys, now the surprise: ThatĀ“s Opus 1.

And concerning the breaths: ThatĀ“s me little hobo. [H]
    I decided while programming where the hobo has to breath, left the spaces, then put up a microphone and there I went...

• Wow! I was just thinking about doing the same trick.

Great effect, great demo!

Peter
    www.PeterRoos.com

• The important point about those breaths and pauses is not that it's just a trick. It is exactly what you should be thinking about when using samples - where would the breaths go, how would the phrases have to be done?

I have heard so many other sampled performances that sound completely artificial not because of the quality of the samples but because the person using them ignored the phrasing essential to playing the instrument.

BTW Mathis, how can I get in touch with this hobo? He is great, and I'd like to hire him though I suppose with his new-found fame he's booked through the next year.

(Sorry, just can't let it drop.)

• yup, I completely agree, William. ItĀ“s really not a trick, itĀ“s the foundation of music, even if you donĀ“t use samples.

• Great demo Mathis - How about some longer phrases with the sounds of circular breathing (i.e. nasal) over the top - that would be just added cool! [:D]

• Nice idea, DaveTubaKing, maybe I do a tuba solo next? With circular breathing, great! [:D]

William, I just looked for him the whole evening and finally I found him at the beach drinking all the whisky (without me [*-)] ). But he agreed that he hasnĀ“t enough whisky for the rest of the year, so heĀ“s open for employment. [:D]

• Hey, DaveTubaKing, I was just reading my post from yesterday evening and found that it might sound like making fun of you. WasnĀ“t ment that way, actually I do like the idea.

• David, thatĀ“s quite a challenging assignment. IĀ“m really curious what will come out. Imagining a five minute Tuba solo with continuos sound going thrue all the dynamic and pitched ranges is fantastic. Let us listen here!

• last edited
    last edited

@DaveTubaKing said:

Great demo Mathis

I've just heard this Mathis. Thats very good. [:)]

Also, DaveTubaKing is a storming name. [H]
    Seriously Dave, how do you find Tuba samples compare to the real thing. I've always found the Tuba (samples) difficult when placing it in a piece.

• Also, DaveTubaKing is a storming name. [H] - it was either that or Hamster Irons. [*-)]

Seriously Dave, how do you find Tuba samples compare to the real thing. I've always found the Tuba (samples) difficult when placing it in a piece.[/quote]

Paul,

Your too quick for me my OPUS1 hasn't arrived yet - anyday now. Onced I've formed a view I've no doubt I'll share it. The Tuba demo is very impressive and has a distinct European sound. I understand the upper range only goes to G4 which is a good third short of pro range (and a fifth+ short of virtuosi range) and there's no Tenor Tuba/Euphonium which is dissapointing but hopefully it's in the pipeline so to speak.

• This recording of real breathing for WW solos derserves the 'gold star of the day'.

One more idea - I was listening to Yo-Yo Ma (Cello) with John Williams yesterday and they sounded like they had a 'head mic' on Yo Yo. As he built expression into a phrase he would breathe deeper, etc. We could add this 'breathing' to other solo instrument performances. Just and idea.

Rob

• Thanks Paul and Rob! [:D] (CanĀ“t hear it often enough [:O]ops: )

There is a recording of KurtagĀ“s "Officum Breve" which touched me enourmesly because of the intense breathing of the performing Keller Quartett.

I studied classical guitar for two years with a teacher who also is a breathing teacher. She made me very aware of this.

• PaulP Paul moved this topic from Orchestration & Composition on