Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,820 users have contributed to 42,261 threads and 254,932 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 16 new post(s) and 45 new user(s).

• Hi Nick,

It may well be but I don't know for sure. I use to have Encore (well still do) but then I got Cakewalk Overture which had all the same features as Encore but more, with better notation and sequencer features - graphical presentations of tempo's, velocities, volumes etc. Then it went from Cakewalk to Geniesoft who now market it.

It's very intuitive to use (unlike Finale IMO) but with sequencer features that Sibelius doesn't have. You can move the starts and finishes of notes within a chord without changing the notation. It's worth having a look at - http://www.geniesoft.com. You can download a demo.

Craig

• Disclaimer: I haven't yet read the new help material with the tool. That being said, I noticed these things...

1) On Windows XP, using what my friends call the "bubble gum" (nice looking windows chrome), the window main content is cut off near the bottom. We have this same problem with software we develop at my office.

2) Small is nice, but in 1600 X 1200, it's hard to read some of the text.

3) I said I didn't read the manual (my fault), but it's hard to realize whats going on at first glance... less intuitive from the previous (albeit dumber) version.

Just my 3 cents.

• last edited
    last edited

@Another User said:

CRAIG: It's very intuitive to use (unlike Finale IMO) but with sequencer features that Sibelius doesn't have.

Hey Craig, there you are again taking those subtle digs at Sibelius, and rightfully so in the case of timing nuances. However, the fact is that Sibelius 3 now allows timing edits to individual notes, phrases, etc. as you have been accustomed to doing in Overture. So load that Sibelius demo that I believe is still sittiing on your harddisk and catapult yourself into the ultimate notation environment!

Cheers, Don

• Hi Gungnir,

I have tried the Sibelius 3.0 demo but it freezes on my machine. Maybe it doesn't like Win 98SE. But have you tried the Overture 3.0 demo?

I think a keyswitch for the Performance Tool would be great - anything to minimise the number of midi tracks and get back to a conductor's score.

I guess though it's easier for a notation program to respond to a score marking "legato" to activate the legato tool in VSL rather than finding 'work arounds' eg keyswitches to turn the tools on or off in notation programs. The same for repetitions, up and down bows etc and different length notes. A smarter Notation program could choose which sample to use given it knows the tempo and whether the note is a sixteenth or a whole note, or whether it's repeated. You could put in a note template for different intrument articulations available. But then that would require two quite different companies coming together for the solution.

Craig

• To add to the wishlist:

- When you select the Save option, do not ask again for the file name. This is why the Save As feature exists. So if the file has already been saved once, please only save it again instead of asking for the file name again.

Thanks,
    Martin

• Right on Martin - this gets irritating real fast. Good suggestion on the final copy.

Rob

• I hope I didn't miss this but I'd love there to be a master reset button for all ports.

I'm getting a lot of hanging notes related to using the sustain pedal on legato instruments. The only thing that cures it once it gets going is to close the tool and reopen it completely.

Overall it's a wonderful improvment over the 'vintage' tool! [:)]

• Hey folks,

Has anyone noticed an unwanted "slide" on certain notes using PerfLeg Strings f ? It sounds like an Irish whistle turn. I'm still using V.1 of the Performance tool. Is this a tool issue or a sample issue I wonder?

Any takers on that? I guess I'll see if the V.2 beta tool helps out.

It would be interesting to have everyone post known bad samples. I think we've all come across them.

With baited breath I wait to hear from my colleagues,

Dave Connor

• Hey folks,

Has anyone noticed an unwanted "slide" on certain notes using VL-14 PerfLeg Strings f ? It sounds like an Irish whistle turn. I'm still using V.1 of the Performance tool. Is this a tool issue or a sample issue I wonder?

Any takers on that? I guess I'll see if the V.2 beta tool helps out.

It would be interesting to have everyone post known bad samples. I think we've all come across them.

With baited breath I wait to hear from my colleagues,

Dave Connor

• duoartc, can you cut and paste music in Overture? That was the biggest bigaboo with Encore - although it is still a really good and usable program. I use Logic's notation now, since I only ever need to do the odd part for overdubs, but I used Encore on one large project a few years ago (the score for a play - no copying budget!), and it worked really well.

• Hi Nick, yes you can cut and paste. Do try the demo version.

• Thanks, I may.

(I only say "may" because it's a PC program, and I'm afraid to put software that isn't playing samples on my Windows machines.)

• Nick, there's a Mac version as well. I don't want to hijack this thread on the Performance Tool so you can email me at duoartc@senet.com.au if you have anymore questions.

• Any chance of getting a midi activity "LED" next to each channel? This would help troubleshooting when you're wondering why you aren't hearing anything - which happens to me more often than I care to admit.

• Paul/Herb:

This issue of turning the legato mode on and off in the Performance Tool with some type of midi parameter is very important to some programmers who work with custom templates.

I will be joining the VSL family shortly but this is going to make things real difficult in that I'm used to being able to toggle legato on and off as needed within a particular phrase.

Can you indicate if it may be possible that you can incorporate this feature at this stage of your beta version of the Performanace Tool?

Thanks, Don

• "Any chance of getting a midi activity "LED" next to each channel?"

I second that! This would be very good to have.

• last edited
    last edited

@gungnir said:

This issue of turning the legato mode on and off in the Performance Tool with some type of midi parameter is very important to some programmers who work with custom templates.
    This would be great. I am using EXS. A MIDI method of switching to and from any of the following would be great:

LEGATO
    ALTERNATION
    REPETITION
    THRU (off)

And that is because I could then layer other articulations onto a PERF instrument, switch to Pizzicato for instance and switch to Alternation all on one instrument, back to LEGATO TREMELO, ALTERNATION Staccato, THRU Looped Sustains, the possibilites are endless and wonderful. A VIOLINS ALL could truly be created.

You could even go so far as to have the PERFORMANCE TOOL "sense" which tool is needed by placing a single sample/zone down at A-2 or something. When that note is present it knows it's on a LEGATO instrument. When a switched to keygroup has a B-2 then it knows to use ALTERNATION.

Evan Evans

• An interface which is managing all articulations and "Performances" of one instrument will be the next major step in our software developement.

best wishes
    Herb

• Hello Herb/Paul:

This is good news as it is addressing what is the next logical step - extreme ease in triggering all commonly used articulations within an expressive phrase.

In a manner somewhat similar as Evan describes above, there are some of us who have reprogramming our instruments into “organic virtual wholes” in order to achieve the ability to constantly switch between all the various attacks and legatos and so on throughout a phrase, all on one staff/track.

This is easier to achieve of course when you are programming directly into your playback device versus actual real-time input. Obviously an interface as you suggest would represent a giant step forward for users when they require real-time performance.

However, in the meantime it would be very helpful if we could somehow coerce your programmer to add a little midi mediated on/off switch to your beta version. [[;)]]

Cheers, Don

• HI Paul and Herb!

A bug in the Ptool:

1) when pressing a key twice (with a lot of pressure and quickly) on my system the note starts to hang till I strike the same key again... Sometimes all notes recorded MIDI are starting to hang when several modes are activated...!

2) IMPORTANT: this tool somehow interferes (greift ein in ) in the audio routing of the NUENDO 8 I/O sound card!!!! When running Gigstudio and loading data into the perf tool then the audio signal(connection is terminated (INPUT D/A led starts to blink!!!)... VERY BAD THING!!!!

By quitting Giga and THEN quitting the PT the led comes back again and the audio channels start to work again... It has NOTHING to do directly with GIGA since I have to shut down the PT to make the sound card run again¨!!!

WHAT IS GOING ON??? ANY IDEA???

(WIN XP, 2.6 GHz, 2GB Kingston, latest updates done...)

THanks

Matt