Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

184,004 users have contributed to 42,334 threads and 255,218 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 4 new post(s) and 39 new user(s).

• Convolution Reverb per Orchestral Section

I've been thinking about this for years, but the post about making impulses with sympathetic vibrations got me thinking about it again.

Has anyone tried making impulses of a hall where an impulse is made using each section of the orchestra as the source position? Obviously this would be best if the mics were at a mid distance - too far back and then the imaging would be negligible. It seems like such an obvious thing to do I'm surprised I haven't seen this commercially available anywhere. The only commercial impulses I've seen, in fact, are from Numerical Sounds (and they're nice - very pleasantly free from unwanted resonances. But they are fixed positition like everyone else. And they're not cheap.)

I tried doing this myself once, but the sound of the room wasn't very good, and Acoustic Mirror did some strange things to my test tones that ruined the illusion (like "correcting" the time delay between the left and right channels.)

• :-] ... seems as some ideas are in the air ...

Look at this thread for some semi-official news:

http://235.deatech.at/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=842

Thanks for your input!

/Dietz - Vienna Symphonic Library

• I forgot to put in my last post that an additional step you could take when creating the impulses would be to record them using test tones at different volume levels, corresponding to the SPL of an orchestra playing p, mp, mf, f, etc. The need for dynamic convultion reverb was discussed a few months back if I remember correctly.

Maybe someone could then write a program that switched the impulses based on the dynamic level of the input. That way the hall would realisticly "light up" as the orchestra became louder and vice versa.

It's a dream anyway.

• While it may not be excactly the one _you_ dreamed - some dreams become true, from time to time :-]

• last edited
    last edited

@slaroussels said:

I forgot to put in my last post that an additional step you could take when creating the impulses would be to record them using test tones at different volume levels, corresponding to the SPL of an orchestra playing p, mp, mf, f, etc. The need for dynamic convultion reverb was discussed a few months back if I remember correctly.

Maybe someone could then write a program that switched the impulses based on the dynamic level of the input. That way the hall would realisticly "light up" as the orchestra became louder and vice versa.

It's a dream anyway.

The challenge there is s/n ratio. However, I believe that other methods could be used to imitate the excitation of a room dynamically that would not suffer from noise. My experience in creating impulses from live spaces has been that the louder and fuller the tones are played, the cleaner and more pure the impulses that result. I tried exactly the method you describe, and found that the noise level became "impulsed" almost as much as the room itself.

Ernest's work is very good. He has always been an excellent source of interesting and well thought music technology. Not to mention, he's a very nice and interesting fellow.

• la la la la la

GIMME GIMME GIMME GIMME GIMME!!!!!

• Sounds like interesting things are in the works...