Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,756 users have contributed to 42,256 threads and 254,905 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 12 new post(s) and 43 new user(s).

• hello matt1!

You said you used 3 gigastudios for ready to fight, or three computers?

3 GigsStudio then and three computers right?All up and running?
    Do you have to use 3 different computers to compose?
    Or one (main) unit?

Explain how you do it.

And...if you have three computers do you have 3 comp. screens? What kind of graphic card do you have to get to display 3 screens at once????
    Matrox millenium?

• Audun,

I think he meant he is using Giga on the same box as his sequencer is running on, alongside two other computer that each have an instance of GigaStudio running, which is a "total" of 3 GigaStudios on 3 computers. The composing is done with the sequencer, and later on he has to mixdown to one file from the different GigaStudio's.

You can use 3 computer screens each connected to one computer, but I doubt this would be a useful setup, unless you got the space for it (keep in mind, this also needs additional keyboards and mouse, and what if you want to expand?) - For some a better solution is using a KVM Switch (keyboard vga mouse switch) which allows you to access three computers by pressing a key for each, while using only 1 keyboard, 1 mouse and 1 screen. Another way is to do the same with remote software that is running via network device. That way you can remote control the other computers, it's cheaper, but not as fast as the hardware way with the KVM Switch.

Today there are graphic cards to support 3 screens at once utilizing only one computer, think of Matrox Parhelia, but it's not too common yet. The only case this would make sense in such a setup is, if you want to have your sequencer spreaded over three screens. DualHead graphic cards (such as the Matrix G550) are sufficient for most (and cheaper), having the sequencer displayed on two screens. The seperate GigaStudio computers not necessarily need to be displayed by the computer running the sequencer.

Hope this helps,
    PolarBear

• This helps indeed polar bear, but the question I really need to know the answer to is: Can I make a fully orchestrated score with 1 computer and 1 GigaStudio using opus 1?

What do you use polar bear?

• http://community.vsl.co.at/viewtopic.php?t=1716

Yes you can do a fully orchestrated score with 1 computer and 1 GS using 1 Opus, uhm sorry - Opus 1. [[;)]] This is actually a question of your workflow and how you like it and/or how much time you got to do it.

Think of it like VSL is the realisation, the recording of your composition. You can get away with half the players (1 computer) and dubbing the recording (2 takes for 1 piece). Having full staff is faster as you only need 1 take (granted it would result in the same sound). As KingIdiot said in the other thread you also don't NEED to load all things. Fully orchestrated won't mean you need all data Opus 1 provides. As Opus 1 isn't out yet and as I don't have VSL yet I can't help you there, but you can do a lot of things simultaneously using 1 computer. As far as I know Damon Bradley used only one computer for his demos (with the First Edition) - but I'm not sure on this.

PolarBear

• Thank you so much PB, it's like I lost my arm and didn't find it. But now I found it. I have no further questions your honor [:D]

• hi Audun!

Sorry I couldn't get back faster to you... Well hopefully you got some answers. AND YES - you can do a complete orchestral score on one system, but it depends on how complex it is gonna be. You can overdub - of course - but you'will for sure need to re-edit the track you mixed down before. So this means a lot of work, slowing down your workflow!!! Think of that! Investing at least in another system (computer) would be worth the money!!!!

Just for note: with one G5 MAC you could replace 3 PC systems at once!!! [[;)]] Since it is that powerfull and capable of 8 GIGS RAM!!!! and up tp 1000 voices of polyphony!

• last edited
    last edited

@Matt 1 said:

Just for note: with one G5 MAC you could replace 3 PC systems at once!!! [[;)]] Since it is that powerfull and capable of 8 GIGS RAM!!!! and up tp 1000 voices of polyphony!
    Needed correction: Much more than that. An 8GB Ram Dual 2Ghz G5 replaces between 8 and 22 PCs.

Evan Evans

• Your demo "ready to fight"(dejavu [:D] )
    What is it used for, a film or is it especially designed as a vsl demo?

• last edited
    last edited
    This song is gonna be a part of my upcoming musical "Lord of Ireland"!

See this link: www.lord-of-ireland.com

It is NOT a musical as it is known till today! It is something new!!!! Cannot tell you more about that... [[;)]]

Check out my site for more info... See ya [[:|]]

Matt

• looks interesting.... I saw a musical/story on tv. Japanese people jumping around (martial arts) athletic people doing martial arts and at the same time told a story(japanese history or something)

That was really great. But that old fashion theater style thing is not entertaining: oh romeo oh romeo, where art thou?
    Boooring..... [:D] hehe

Where can I see lord of Ireland, if I don't live there?
    And who is D. Zimmer?

• Well we will show it in your country as well hopefully. But anyway that will take some time to do!
    There will be several media to bring it "home" to you. The musical is not yet finished - it is so much work....

Dieter is the director of the musical. [H] He is a good friend of mine.