Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

183,457 users have contributed to 42,300 threads and 255,079 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 3 new thread(s), 12 new post(s) and 54 new user(s).

• last edited
    last edited

@Netvudu said:

So to sum thngs up: If I was in a uninhabited isle with just one PC, VSL and ONE REVERB (it can be DX or VST) which one would you choose?

I do digital recording and mastering, and there are a couple software reverbs that have served me very well. One is Ultrafunk ReverbX. Check them out at www.ultrafunk.com. At $50, this utility is a steal. Comes with both VST and DX versions. Sounds great.
    The other one is the Timeworks Reverb. They're at www.sonictimeworks.com. I don't own they're reverb (I ended up going with Ultrafunk) but I downloaded the no-limitation-demo-for-14-days and it sounds incredible. Only comes in DX.
    So take your pick. These are the best, IMHO.

~Chris

• thanks Chris. I´ll check those.

• I tried the VB Aphro reverb and it is VERY lush

to check...

http://vbaudio.jceinformatique.com/down_vs3_aphrov1.htm

Geert.

• Well I should be infamous by now for any people that have listened to my compositions that were on Northernsounds.com. The reverb that was on all of em was horrible, even though the compositions themselves were not all bad. I am using acoustic mirror, but it always sounds too wet or too dry. Also, how can you make it so you can route out channel directly through acoustic mirror?

Thanks in advance

• The best option is to record each section (or each instrument if you're real picky) to an individual track, then use an app like Vegas to do your mixing.

You can then use Aux Sends to a specific Bus with acoustic mirror on it. This way you can mix and match dry signals to the west signals, as well as deal with panning. I'd also use some reverb (sound stage) on each channel with early reflection data to create a "stage", then aux send that signal to acoustic mirror.

I'm not sure you got any of that.....since there are some general "mixing" terms there.

• Ok well I understand pretty much all of that, except how do I import stuff like Cakewalk FX3 into GS so I can use it in realtime?

• CakeWalk FX3 ("SoundStage") is a DirectX plugin that can be used in most PC sequencers, like Logic, CakeWalk, Cubase VST & SX. (in the audio part). Can also be used in applications commonly used for mixing only (Vegas) and mastering (Wavelab, SoundForge, etc).

GigaStudio does not support DirectX plugins.

I can use SoundStage "live" on input signals coming into Logic from Giga PC's. No problem to run a few separate instances simultaneously. Does require a fairly "serious" setup though...

Regards,
    Peter

• last edited
    last edited

@Peter Roos said:

I can use SoundStage "live" on input signals coming into Logic from Giga PC's. Peter

hej Peter
    I've been trying to do that with to my Sonar - but with no luck.
    I can't stream directly from my Giga PC into the Sonar and apply
    fx's live, so now I'm very curious:
    How do you do it? Please enlighten me

Bjarne

• Logic simply has special audio objects for this, that you can add into your audio mixer window. I have 3 Adat inputs, so I have setup 12 stereo inputs in total (4 per light pipe input). These input channels can have inserts as well as sends to any busses.
    The moment I arm an audio TRACK the corresponding INPUT channel is disabled (that is, its output and FX sends are muted - although I believe that its inserts are still applied).

I recently purchased Cubase SX (crossgrade) and have set up a similar mixer, so it can be done with SX as well. Maybe Sonar users can jump in here to say if Sonar in principle has the same feature.

SoundStage can be used as an insert on a stereo input channel, or as an insert on a dedicated bus, in which case you'd have to set it to 100% wet (to avoid any risk of phasing and comb-filtering due to any plugin delay).

Hope this illustrates the approach a bit. BTW, I think this is a great approach for working with both Midi and Audio on the same time-line. Can't imagine that using an external multi-track app like Vegas can deliver the same syncing and project management.

Regards,

Peter

• Hi Peter
    Thanks - I don't know if there is a similar functionality in Sonar but
    I'll try and experiment.

Bjarne