Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,489 users have contributed to 42,233 threads and 254,817 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 6 new thread(s), 20 new post(s) and 47 new user(s).

• General Integration Issues (VSL,Sibelius,Pro Tools)

Hello All,
    This is my first post. I have been in the wings absorbing all I can. I am impressed with the overall knowledge of you all! I am presently sitting here with boxes,manuels,cables doing my best to integrate Vsl first edition with Sibelius and Protools on two systems (Carillon and G4).

I am wondering if anyone has information pulling together the whole picture for someone like myself who is more of a composer than an engineer. I have been composing (on paper) for many years and my musical training is on classical guitar. As my keyboard skills are rather rudimentary I rely on my experience with guitar and score rather than piano:

To the point my initial questions are around:

1) The best way to link sibelius to VSL without a degree in advance programming.
    2) Has anyone dared to brouch the subject of midi guitar triggering these lovely sounds?

Thanks much,
    Robert

• Hi Robert,

Well, can't help much with your initial questions but may be help you out on issues relating to using a PC running Gigastudio/VSL with a Mac running Pro Tools as that's what I'm doing too.

Basically, I've got the Digi 192 Digital interface (that's the 192 but without the analogue In/Out) and I'm using an RME HDSP 9652 card, so I'm piping 8 channels via ADAT into the Pro Tools mixer. So if you have any questions relating to integrating the two things then feel free to try me. I'm not as expert as some of the people here but I do know my way around a bit.

After a few initial hiccups I've now got the system working pretty well. I'm going to need to specify and build a new PC sometime soon as I've had problems with audio popping (see topic in the Gigastudio Issues forum), but after a huge amount of help - far beyond the call of duty - from Christian at VSL, I do at least now have a workable system until I can get around to funding and then putting together a custom-built PC rather than the one I've recycled for this.

So I'm now managing to fairly successfully integrate my GS/VSL PC with my G4 PT|HD system. So if you have any questions on that side of things feel free to give me a shout.

I'm afraid I don't use Sibelius so can't help you there - I do my sequencing in Pro Tools over a MIDI connection between the PC and the G4 which works very well. But there's bound to be someone around here who does use that program. I'm afraid I've never tried using MIDI guitar for this either... The guitar is my own first instrument and my keyboard "skills" are fairly rudimentary as well, but at the moment I'm noodling along that way as I suspect most people are.

Anyway, give me a shout if there's anything relating to integrating the PC-Mac end of things I can help with.

Regards

Nick

Mac Mini M2 16Gb RAM 500Gb int. SSD 2Tb ext. SSD Pro Tools/Mixbus An awful lot of VI, Synchron-ised and Synchron libraries, amongst others. VSL user since 2003.
  • robert, you didn't mention which application you run on which platform (AFAIK both would be possible) and which version of VSL you have.
    how do you intend to access the samples - from protools or an additional gigastudio?
    christian

and remember: only a CRAY can run an endless loop in just three seconds.
  • last edited
    last edited

@cm said:

robert, you didn't mention which application you run on which platform (AFAIK both would be possible) and which version of VSL you have.
    how do you intend to access the samples - from protools or an additional gigastudio?
    christian

Christian,
    I am running first edition Vsl and Sibelius, on the Carillon PC, and Protools through digi 002 on the mac. I am triggering samples at the moment from a keyboard and wonder about the capacity to do this through a guitar controller.

Thanks,
    Robert

• [quote=nick.halliwell]Hi Robert,

Well, can't help much with your initial questions but may be help you out on issues relating to using a PC running Gigastudio/VSL with a Mac running Pro Tools as that's what I'm doing too.

Hi Nick,

Thanks for your feedback. I seem to have everything working now. I also came across the popping sound you referred to. In my sytem it seemed to have something to do with internal clock settings on the Mac not being slaved to clock settings on PC. When we adjusted this the problem went away.

Good luck on smooth operations!

Robert