Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,612 users have contributed to 42,245 threads and 254,865 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 5 new thread(s), 19 new post(s) and 49 new user(s).

• OK, so an internal editor isn't going to happen -- but please please do implement historical tunings in a forthcoming version!

• Or another way of suggesting the order of things would be to say that creativity stirs madness from the dusty depths from where no channel noticed or inspired it before, but it is not the source of creativity nor the product, it is a byproduct to say it was liberated into awareness and what comes after would be a madness free creation? Or perhaps again, true creativity appears as madness to a mind that has never seen it before. I read that mountain people who had never seen a photograph before were unable to recognise a human being in a 2d image / photograph - they had to learn it. I guess you just know when you know, you know? [:)]

One thing though, don't tinker with a rolls royce gear box.... [[:|]]

Miklos.

• [:D]

• I for one would rather have VSL improve what's already out than spend more time developing totally new stuff.

I still think that it's absolutely impractical to have different ranges on different strings or horns patches, for example.

With a simplified editor, at least the user would be able to "fix" that by themselves, without waiting for VSL to release an update. In the long term, everybody benefits.

Surely VSL is already using some kind of in-house editor, so it's not like it's something impossible to do. It just needs to be limited to some basic functions, instrument range definitely being one of them.

AFAIK this view is shared by *many* VI users out here.

Jerome

• I'm sorry, we can't fulfill any requests regarding an editor.

It's impossible to use the inhouse editor for the finalized crypted database.
    Furthermore the inhouse editor is related on scripts and nobody could use it without a really heavy learning curve.

At last it's not possible to extend instrument ranges (with or without editor), because of the core design of the streaming engine.

best
    Herb

• Thanks for clarifying that Herb.

• last edited
    last edited
    Hi Herb,

There has been a lot of forum traffic on the subject of extending ranges, both for sound design purposes and when some users haven't felt the range reflects their own experience of working with real nstruments.

Given your comment that the core design of the streaming engine does not permit the extending of sample ranges there is another possible solution. Transpose the samples at the extreme ends of the instrument ranges, write new extended keyrange programmes incorporating these samples then these would work within the capabilities of the streaming engine.

This could be applied as a downloadable update for the library, perhaps users would pay for the increased flexibility.

As a purely virtual representation of orchestral instruments VSL is in a class of it's own but I do believe there should be recognition of the benefit of features that were present in previous incarnations of the VSL sample set.

Kind regards

Julian

@herb said:

I'm sorry, we can't fulfill any requests regarding an editor.

It's impossible to use the inhouse editor for the finalized crypted database.
    Furthermore the inhouse editor is related on scripts and nobody could use it without a really heavy learning curve.

At last it's not possible to extend instrument ranges (with or without editor), because of the core design of the streaming engine.

best
    Herb

• How about a section of the Forum devoted to requests for fixes/alterations?

And a section on the Downloads page for the Fixes.

This would avoid duplicate requests.

And just to clarify: my request for an editor does not imply that the editing in VI is poor, or that the VSL is unwilling to help. [[;)]]

It's about personal preferences.

Like the hanging resonance on certain notes in Solo Viola (SE). Herb feels they are natural and real-world. Many would agree with him. Every producer I've worked with so far has objected to them [8-)]

Maybe Contempory Pop criteria are different to Classical/Film work - it's not for me to judge - but it would be great to have the option to download fixes for the kind of issues that have been mentioned by others in this thread.

How long would it take to, say, load a patch, tweak the offending envelopes, create the "fix-file" and post it on the site?

We obviously have no idea, so it would be helpful to hear.

Mike.

• last edited
    last edited

@Mike McCarthy said:

How about a section of the Forum devoted to requests for fixes/alterations?

And a section on the Downloads page for the Fixes.

This would avoid duplicate requests.

Mike.

I agree. Actually there are some samples that are just badly edited, but with the automatic nature of the player one has to change patch to avoid them. This can easily be seen, for example, by playing a series of repeated notes with most woodwind instruments. Some notes will stick out due to the length being inconsistent.

DG

• last edited
    last edited

@Mike McCarthy said:

But that's the crux of the matter: I'm still stuck with the things that bug me.

And that surely is the whole point. No two pairs of ears are the same, and just because something sounds fine to one person doesn't mean that another person will find it acceptable. If I could just tweak the playback pitch and amplitude of an individual sample here and there then I for one would be a much happier customer. That's not going to require a full sample editor, just a matrix that's applied to the streaming engine at runtime.

• last edited
    last edited

@DG said:

... Actually there are some samples that are just badly edited, but with the automatic nature of the player one has to change patch to avoid them. This can easily be seen, for example, by playing a series of repeated notes with most woodwind instruments. Some notes will stick out due to the length being inconsistent.
    DG

By the way
    Have you visited the "Library Updates" Site?
    User Area/Vienna Instruments/Library Updates/ (LogIn)...

Best
    Beat

- Tips & Tricks while using Samples of VSL.. see at: https://www.beat-kaufmann.com/vitutorials/ - Tutorial "Mixing an Orchestra": https://www.beat-kaufmann.com/mixing-an-orchestra/
  • last edited
    last edited

@mpower88 said:

Don't get me wrong, I respect your opinion and wishes and I'm sure you have your reasons but again let me give you another analogy, yes, a car analogy, I don't care if people don't like them but I don't want to tweak the onboard computer in my ferrari (if I had one) nor do I want to replace the rims with custom alloys, or put a spoiler on it.... I wan it just as it is. Man I wish I had a Ferrari, a brand new one, fresh from the factory....... [:D] I trust the wisdom and heart that the makers have put into their creation and it is exactly why I want to buy one, and not a suped up Nissan.

A symphony orchestra isn't a car. If I'm rehearsing with an orchestra and the flautist is playing one particular note too loudly in a passage, I'll tell them to play it differently, not get a different orchestra.

• The crux of the matter is that some of us want to mess with samples - for all sorts of good reasons - and some don't. The ones that do probably grew up with samplers that not only allowed us to tweak samples' tuning and levels, but also enabled us to experiment and do all manner of interesting things to the sound. Having grown used to working that way with the Pro Edition, I guess we tweakers expected that the VI would let us do the same.

Herb's comment has made it clear that the VI will almost certainly never offer editing facilities, so the best we can do is put forward requests for changes - and yes, a forum is a good way of sharing info on that - and hope to see them implemented.

• last edited
    last edited

@DG said:

... Actually there are some samples that are just badly edited, but with the automatic nature of the player one has to change patch to avoid them. This can easily be seen, for example, by playing a series of repeated notes with most woodwind instruments. Some notes will stick out due to the length being inconsistent.
    DG

By the way
    Have you visited the "Library Updates" Site?
    User Area/Vienna Instruments/Library Updates/ (LogIn)...

Best
    Beat
    Yes............. [H]

DG

• By the way, I liked this suggestion from Julian:

>Transpose the samples at the extreme ends of the instrument ranges, write new extended keyrange programmes incorporating these samples then these would work within the capabilities of the streaming engine.

OK it's not 'real', but it would make the VI a lot more flexible.

• So... Herb has said quite clearly there will be no editor.

An option is to use Melodyne Plug-In for tuning and fine volume tweaking etc. It's quite remarkable.....