Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,712 users have contributed to 42,254 threads and 254,893 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 6 new post(s) and 40 new user(s).

• last edited
    last edited

@Guy said:

Meanwhile I was doing some research and found out as a fellow canadian I benefit from canadian laws which unless I'm mistaken is 50 years after the composers death, according to my research, (but just noticed you had posted this) as for US and UK it's 70 years. This actually gives a HUGE advantage as a musician, in my current project I need to use some Rachmaninoff, this means no publisher's permission needed, how sweet it is. [:D]

Guy, there are different rules for different countries. I think that Australia is another 50 year territory, yet I also seem to remember that Spain and Belgium are (or at least used to be) 83 year territories. Rachmaninoff would seem to be out of Copyright in Canada, but check very carefully about the years added on due to the World Wars, if any. There is also a possibility that an editor has made changes to the scores that you are looking at. One would think that this would come under the heading of corrections, but in some cases Publishers claim that a new Copyright has been created. What is worse, is that in some of these cases the original manuscripts are kept under lock and key, so you can't even find out what the changes are!

The fact that you live in Canada is only an advantage if your music, or arrangements are only ever broadcast in Canada. As soon as they go to a territory that has different rules, you are in breach of Copyright, and the TV company would have to negotiate with the Publishers for that region to be allowed to use your arrangement.

Copyright rules can be a nightmare, and it is worth the cost of legal advice to make sure that you don't breach them.

DG

• last edited
    last edited

@DG said:

The fact that you live in Canada is only an advantage if your music, or arrangements are only ever broadcast in Canada. As soon as they go to a territory that has different rules, you are in breach of Copyright, and the TV company would have to negotiate with the Publishers for that region to be allowed to use your arrangement.

DG

That's right, I realized that not long after my last post, it was too good to be true....
    Maybe I should stick to Josquin des Près, at least I'll be sure it's public domain... [:D]

• last edited
    last edited

@DG said:

DG

That's right, I realized that not long after my last post, it was too good to be true....
    Maybe I should stick to Josquin des Près, at least I'll be sure it's public domain... [:D]
    Depends on what Edition...!

D

• last edited
    last edited

@Guy said:

Now I conducted some Josquin des Près at Oxford in the mid seventies.

Deploration sur le mort d"Ockeghem. Fantastic piece...

Now that's REAL music (!) [:P]

• last edited
    last edited

@DG said:

DG

D

Will I be at peace with Oh! Susanna? [:'(]

• Actually I'm doing my own rendition of Gershwin, Rachmaninoff and Addinsell works,
    so that eliminate one thing to worry about, but I'm not sure where to go from here to be honest, when I look on the internet under Gershwin I'm just more confused about the publisher, the same for Rachmaninoff, the only thing I know for sure is that I'm doing my own arr, of them.

• last edited
    last edited

@DG said:

DG

D

Will I be at peace with Oh! Susanna? [:'(]
    Probably not. [:D]

DG