Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,443 users have contributed to 42,227 threads and 254,797 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 4 new thread(s), 20 new post(s) and 47 new user(s).

• There is a sequencer that can do what you want much easier than the steps mentioned for Logic. The Midi Workshop, part of SAWStudio, for PC only. Last year, a feature was added that allows you to play completely in free time, then go back, and, using the arrow key, tap the beats where they belong while listening to your performance. You can then quickly fine tune those taps perfectly to your playing. A sort of ‘reverse quantizing’. I saw it demonstrated, and it was quite amazing. A totally rubato piano piece, beatmapped in about two minutes. Ready for orchestration, and/or export to a notation program.

Also, SAWStudio does have a video track for writing to film, and three versions depending on your budget: Basic, Lite, and Full. The Midi Workshop is an add-on, but it is the full version whichever host you choose. Check out www.sawstudio.com

• last edited
    last edited

@Ducasse said:

Angelo-that is one wicked looking controller - I am very afraid of it!!!

My wallet is afraid too! I try to convince myself since months, that I do not need one of those ultra-high-tec keyboards, but encounter schizoid difficulties of the seventh kind while miditating on it.

• All these convoluted methods. Just get Cubase or DP. Then it is all so easy. [:D]

DG

• I seldom use Cubase, so I'm not sure, but the TimeWarp tool in Cubase SX only works for audio tracks, and Nuendo doesn't have this TimeWarp feature.

Using Cubase SX's Timewarp tool
    http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/aug04/articles/cubasenotes.htm

• last edited
    last edited

@Angelo Clematide said:

I seldom use Cubase, so I'm not sure, but the TimeWarp tool in Cubase SX only works for audio tracks, and Nuendo doesn't have this TimeWarp feature.

Using Cubase SX's Timewarp tool
    http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/aug04/articles/cubasenotes.htm

Nuendo has both Audio and MIDI Warping, and AFAIK it is present in both SX3 and C4. Just look at the date of your link. [8-)]

DG

OK, I just checked and I was correct that Cubase SX and C4 both have Warp capabilities. [[;)]]

• last edited
    last edited

@DG said:

All these convoluted methods. Just get Cubase or DP. Then it is all so easy. [:D]

DG

That's just about what I'm thinking........ [:D]

M.

• The best thing to do, imho, is to find someone or a series of "someones"-- a friend, an engineer, a dealer-- who runs each of these DAWs. Create a list of things you'd like to accomplish and try those ideas as experiments with each, perhaps with the person sitting next to you showing you the basics (or more than the basics). There's nothing better than hands-on exploration with the addition of an experienced person answering questions for you on the spot.

Of course, most people will recommend the DAW they use, which is natural. The only thing is that how one person prefers to operate can be quite different from how you'd like to operate even with all dignity and respect is given to the way any one prefers to work.

For some people, "easier" actually means "easier". For others it means a lack of flexibility. Some people have no problem twiddling with preferences. For others, this can quickly get to be a distraction where fleeting musical ideas are poised in thought as though they were on the edge of a knife.

There's no official right way or wrong way. There's only the *most comfortable way for you*. The only way to really figure that out is to roll your sleeves up and to get your hands wet, so to speak.

• You can tap in the tempo either while you're playing or after the fact in many sequencers. The feature is usually called reclocking, and somewhere there will be an option to use a guide track. All it needs is quarter notes, which you can often generate by cutting/pasting from the out-of-tempo part.

Logic has that, DP does, and I'm sure all the others do too. It's not just SAW, in other words.

• All excellent advice. I will go to my local pro audio shop and demo some different Daw's. Nick, can you explain how you do this in Logic? I am a bit green, sorry.