Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,511 users have contributed to 42,234 threads and 254,830 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 4 new thread(s), 22 new post(s) and 42 new user(s).

• 64 bit XP?

Does VSI run on XP 64 bit? I have to get a new machine due to my current machines untimely death and would prefer to use a 64 bit OS if I can my other tools (GVI, SONAR, Sibelius) all say they can support it.

Anyone here know, or still better tried it?

• The VI's should run as vst plugs in Sonar - haven't tried it yet though.
    But the Sonar has the bitbridge which allows you to run 32-bit apps.

I'm going in the same direction - just have to decide for
    audiocard w. 64-bit drivers and build a massive daw.

• Well Im going to try, my new system should be here in a day or two, then I need to build it out. But by next week I should have a nice machine all 64 bit. Ill let you know how it goes.

If things go well Ill need to upgrade to 8GB of memory, imagine the possibilities.

• last edited
    last edited

@kcorbin said:

Well Im going to try, my new system should be here in a day or two, then I need to build it out. But by next week I should have a nice machine all 64 bit. Ill let you know how it goes.

If things go well Ill need to upgrade to 8GB of memory, imagine the possibilities.

Boy I got to think on the 8 GB machines that CPU power / HD streaming capacity (or lack of it) would now be the issue. What's the opinion on this.

Looks like we solve one issue (Ram loading) - only to introduce new ones (CPU cycles and HD ability to stream that much at once.)

Rob

• My feeling is for CPUs we can do quite a bit, especially with the quad cores now available, but very pricey.

IO may start to be an issue, but there are options, faster rpm drives 10,000rpm exist, or faster storage devices.

I agree that at some point we will hit a new ceiling, I am not sure what it will be next....

• I think that with enough harddrives and a good distribution of
    the sample sets we'll happy for some time [:D]

My main concern is the price of ram - it has to come down.

• I can vouch for XP 64 bit. I have a slave computer running 64bit and Sonar and the bitbridge runs VI fine. The only gripe I have is that Altiverb won't run in a 64bit environment yet. It is nice however to get 3.7 GB of samples loaded on a machine with 4GB RAM

• Hi magnumpraw
    wow - 3.7 gb !
    What soundcard are you using? My main concern with going 64-bit is
    the drivers for all the crap I have connected or installed.

• yeah, drivers for most things are still in the works. If it's your main computer, it may not work quite as well. I have this on a slave where the only things connected are a mouse, keyboard and soundcard.

MIDIOverLAN works fine though in 64 bit and I know that both RME and MOTU have 64bit drivers for their current hardware. I am using an RME Hammerfall DSP card for my sound card which outputs lightpipe to my main comp. I also have a MOTU 424 card which I have tried and can verify works well.

• txh
    I am considering it for my main daw - in fact I have this silly dream
    of building one monster to run everything. [:D]

• last edited
    last edited

@Sapkiller said:

txh
    I am considering it for my main daw - in fact I have this silly dream
    of building one monster to run everything. [:D]

[URL=http://www.engadget.com/2007/03/22/tyans-40-cpu-personal-supercomputer-now-shipping/]This one[/URL]maybe?

DG

• the scary thing is that it is on par per processor with Apple's pricing for the octo mac

• I recommend a second computer for sample playback. Otherwise you have to load all of the samples every time you open a song. With a dedicated machine it can just keep running and playing back your palette of instruments.

• last edited
    last edited

@synthetic said:

I recommend a second computer for sample playback. Otherwise you have to load all of the samples every time you open a song. With a dedicated machine it can just keep running and playing back your palette of instruments.

It should also work by using a VST host running alongside your sequencer using virtual MIDI cables. Not sure if there are any for XP64 though. I can't believe that with 2 fully functioning 64bit OS around that developers are still being so slow to support them.

DG